Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

RXB250L Title and Plating SUCCESS in Delaware

As the title says.

Anyone else getting an RXB or more generically a Nicot manufactured bike should be good to go. The DMV had no idea what to do with my bike but after a lot of arguing, some convincing, and one very helpful DMV clerk we got it pushed through. They had to add Nicot as a brand in the state's database (which I presume won't surprise some of you guys), and for some reason they could only register my bike as a "DT" (dirt bike) rather than "MC" but I got a plate and a title.

For future reference, Orion is extremely unhelpful regarding MCO issues (surprise, surprise). They sent my MCO incomplete, without some of the required fields filled out like their dealer information and odometer statement. When I asked them about this via their chat thing they literally suggested that I just write in the information myself which I'm quite certain is not legal. After a lot of noise the DMV did ultimately let me do so -- I asked permission, rather than assume, and showed them my screen with the chat with Orion on it which seemed to indicate that the required odometer statement would not be forthcoming from them no matter what we did. If anyone else tires this the hangup seems to be that the odometer reading (zero) and sign-off is REQUIRED on the back of the MCO and the dealer/importer MUST fill it out with their dealer information before providing it to you. Maybe if you badgered Orion about it ahead of time you might have a chance of them sending it to you properly filled out.

You also need to have a "bill of sale" which is news to me -- This was never required before when registering or titling any of my other bikes, just the MCO or original title. They accepted a printout of my invoice from Orion.

With this information it seems that you should theoretically be able to ram through a registration of any bike with an MCO that reads "motorcycle." As long as it does not list the vehicle type as any kind of off highway vehicle you are good to go!

As a new vehicle they also completely omitted my inspection which means I made all of my reflector brackets and so forth for nothing. I'll keep them around, though, for when I need to renew my tags in six (!) years.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #2

A theory I have is the free-wheeling days of writing 'Motorcycle' on the MCO when the bike is EPA certified as an 'Offroad Dirtbike' might be getting less blessed. Numerous states that plate any bike with a minimum of street-legal equipment will continue to do so, but others that were giving offroad bikes the blessing based on 'Motorcycle' on the MCO and the full street equipment might not be so accommodating and might be pressuring the government to clamp down. Just a guess and a theory as to why Orion does not seem willing to help you get a dirtbike street registered. They want to sell you a dual-sport, but don't want to openly support getting it on the street.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #3

Orion doesn't want to support anything, near as I can tell based on my interactions with them and other reports I have found online. I'm sure if they had their druthers they would do nothing with their operation other than take customers' money and vanish into the night. They have been obstructive and unhelpful to me in all aspects beyond charging my credit card and handing my bike off to a third party shipping carrier and almost every vibe I've gotten from them via their chat has been completely jank. They also go to extreme lengths to conceal their phone number. Can't imagine why!

I can't say that I expected anything different on the topic of the MCO. If I had to do it all over again I may have gotten the GPX equivalent of my bike instead and bought it off of someone else, even though it comes with a slightly slimmer feature set. I'd doubt Nicot would sell you just one, but asking them might even be worth a burl.