Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Successful Registration in VA

I was able to title and register my Hawk 250 in VA with no problems. I needed the MCO, bill of sale from the dealer and my proof of insurance. I registered and titled the motorcycle at the North Henrico DMV office on 4/21/2018.

I got the liability insurance from State Farm. They were unable to find the make of the Hawk in their database, but were able to add it to our policy anyway. According to the MCO, the make is RPS.

Thanks for all of the help I got from this forum!

Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Did you have to have the bike inspected before going to the DMV for tags? The reason that I am asking is that I'm in Virginia and will be tagging there, but am thinking of taking delivery of the bike in NC to assemble and ride there for a week before bringing back to Virginia.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopotomus View Post
Did you have to have the bike inspected before going to the DMV for tags? The reason that I am asking is that I'm in Virginia and will be tagging there, but am thinking of taking delivery of the bike in NC to assemble and ride there for a week before bringing back to Virginia.

Thanks!
It depends on where the bike comes from... I'm in Indiana but I bought my hawk from a seller that was located in Illinois...since it came from out of state I had to schedule a deputy to come out and verify the VIN I didn't even need to be home I just left the bike outside with the paperwork and woke up that afternoon with the inspection sheet signed and verified... after that getting rego was a breeze

Old 05-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #4

got the registration, title and plate the other day from teh VA DMV. Had to wait 5 weeks do get it due to the coronavirus crap going around. All DMV offices are closed in the state and all paperwork, ect., has to be mailed directly to the DMV Headquarters in Richmond VA. Got the bike fully insured (2020 Boom Vader) with State Farm for the year. No hassles any where, just had to waot a long time to get the stuff back from DMV HQ.
Next week will head down towards the end of the week to get the bike inspected.

Carl
p.s. I am in the NOVA area (Woodbridge)

Old 11-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonacat View Post
got the registration, title and plate the other day from teh VA DMV. Had to wait 5 weeks do get it due to the coronavirus crap going around. All DMV offices are closed in the state and all paperwork, ect., has to be mailed directly to the DMV Headquarters in Richmond VA. Got the bike fully insured (2020 Boom Vader) with State Farm for the year. No hassles any where, just had to waot a long time to get the stuff back from DMV HQ.
Next week will head down towards the end of the week to get the bike inspected.

Carl
p.s. I am in the NOVA area (Woodbridge)

Nice! I just got my actual title, got it in the mail to Richmond with the VSA-130. Did you have to do the road safety form (vsa130)? I believe to get all my paperwork together was like 130.00.. had to pay the taxes. Was thinking hopefully the tax I paid for Cali would just come over but nope! I'm down in Alleghany Co. btw - next to nothing! Lots of Jeep trails and all. I do have some family up around NOVA in ol' apple flapple town - Winchester! I'm not sure how far that is from you, but are there any good trails up that way?? I FINALLY convinced one of my buddies to get a dual-sport. He got the new Yamaha 700; traitor! lol not really.. I'm just happy to have at least one person to ride with. And are there any Chinese dual-sport meets?? Just being back in my hometown is weird - literally no one around I remember being here lol

Good to see more getting registered / plates in VA! My local DMV told me that my original MCO was fraudulent Ditched that one and had to go about an hour away in Highland Co. but got it!

Old 11-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopotomus View Post

Thanks!

I didn't have to have it inspected yet before going any further. I can, just to tick that box of things that meets road requirements. But, I'll have to load it up and tote it down to the shop.. I'll just wait. So, when I got my actual title: now I have to send that to Richmond with the VSA-130, stating that the bike has turn signals, headlamp, brake light, mirrors, horn, etc. - to be passed for state inspection. I'm thinking about waiting to get my title back and just go get the plates. But, just to be safe, I am going to get it inspected while I wait. That way, if my stupid DMV tries to pull any sh!t about it, again - I'll already have the slip passed for road use.. bit of a mouthful, but I was totally in the dark with this - and almost tried to see about returning after having to deal with the DMV saying my stuff was fake. The dumbest part, was when the person that told me that they wouldn't take it for being fraudulent - said that she's seen a lot of scooters from that brand being registered though "this DMV"... I just couldn't believe the utter lack of support or information to get it done. The other DMV an hour away knew the bike, what I needed to do, and was very helpful in the process. Absolutely no issues getting the VIN ran or anything.. but, out of all of it, sending the data to Richmond and waiting to receive your papers back (hopefully) all in one piece; that's the longest of it all. I'm not sure of your time constraints or when you're wanting to do that.. but it was already a months wait to get IN to the DMV. Both times, sadly. Good luck brother! I had somewhat of a fight.. But I'm sure you'll be good man. Someone mentioned the Vermont plating method. Apparently you send the bill of sale and MCO, then send back a title and plates? Don't quote me on that order lol and I'm probably missing a lot - but it can be done that way as well.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #7

Sometimes -- sometimes, mind you -- I feel blessed living in SC and only having to deal with the State's bureaucracy occasionally. I fully expected a hassle in getting my Dongfang DF250RTG registered, but I showed up full of hope and holding the MCO and proof of insurance. "Oh, we've done plenty of these before," said the DMV lady, and 10 minutes and a couple of reasonable questions later I was out the door ready to go.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

didn't have any trouble getting the title or plates, just having to wait forever for Richmond to get the stuff back to me was agrivating. Dang Corona 19. Anyways, it has been not quite a year now (waiting for warm weather once more) before I go back out on the road with the little beasty. Really looking forward to it too.

Carl

Old 06-19-2021, 01:56 AM   #9

Second that daytonacat!!

I'm fully registered, plated, inspected, and legal now! Everyone thinks it's a KTM because of the orange... hehe.. till I top out

Inspection was very simple - others with Hawks have been to that location I visited, so it was kinda like.. them: "Is this a Hawk?" me: ".. yep!" them: "Nice! That one looks cool! Here you go, ride safe!"

That would have been nice Oldenslow - mine thought it was fake, or something.. stupid. But said, 'we've done plenty of this companies scooters. But, f--- you!' pretty much lol couldn't believe it. VA has it's own set of BS! It's everywhere though - I used to live in Las Vegas, NV - same. Just different people.