Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #16

I bought mine Saturday from a dealer in the nearest big city to me. They assembled it and delivered it to my house today. I somehow managed to put 10 kilometers on it by just riding it around my yard.

Initial impression is that the Icebear is, shall we say, a bit "sportier" with 125cc than the original CT 70 I rode from childhood into young adulthood was.

I wanted something I could use to get to fly fishing and hunting spots. I think this will work as well as the old CT 70 did once I ditch these "pavement only" tires on it. Actually, I think it'll work even better, as it seems to have substantially more torque and feels like first gear is lower, as well.

The dealer I bought from only had one in stock. It was black. I was kind of hoping for candy red because that would match the color of my old 2002 Mustang. Also, candy red was the color of the original CT 70 I grew up with.

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in decades. My last was a Yamaha TT 500 which, while I reckon it was a decent machine, wasn't really suited for the kind of off-roading I do. I basically ride (or, rode and will be riding again) in the manner the original CT 70 was intended to be ridden in off pavement. I suspect this Icebear Champion will suit my needs just fine once I learn to ride all over again.

Last edited by Telecaster; 06-17-2020 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #17

Sounds like you have plans for your bike to be a sort of 'workhorse' for your play. So many people on the DAX CT70 ST70 clone group on Facebook have all kinds of mods planned to get theirs street ready, it is refreshing to hear you are planning to use yours in the way all the numerous vintage Honda print ads portrayed the bikes. Actually, DirtDokken is as well, as he has kept his off the street altogether.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
it is refreshing to hear you are planning to use yours in the way all the numerous vintage Honda print ads portrayed the bikes.
I'm essentially looking at my Icebear Champion as a two-wheeled CJ-2A. I had a CT-70 and went everywhere on that thing that I ever went in a Jeep. I was always a putz on the CT-70, content to ride within the limits of its overall tire diameter, suspension travel, and ground clearance. When you're putzing along Jeep trails and Forest Service fire roads at speeds under 20 mph, and often under 10, a whole lot of what enables a "real dirt bike" to blast across the desert at 70 mph really isn't necessary.

As slow as a riding a trail bike like a CT-70 is when one is ridden like a trail bike, it's still generally faster than covering the same ground in a CJ-2A and that's plenty fast enough for me. I go to the places where I need off-pavement capability to "decompress and slow down" rather than live "life in the fast lane."

As an adult riding the CT-70, I did take note of some shortcomings that I would have liked to have improved upon and which the Icebear Champion seems to address: More low-end torque, an extra gear in the semi-auto trans, and better brakes.

Time will tell, but I expect it will serve me very well as a trail bike that I intend to ride like one.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #19

Would I be correct in assuming that it’s not available in California?

Old 06-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #20

It comes with the disclaimer label riveted on the frame, "Californians need not apply"

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #21

Old 09-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #22

dude i absolutely love it, Just got mine last friday, and have ridden 111 miles, err, kilometers, and so far i cant stop grinning. my big bikes are sitting in the garage kinda looking at each other with a puzzled look in their headlights... lol

But seriously, does anyone know if the odometer in the icebear champion reads miles, or kilometers?
and the first oil change, is it at 300 miles, or 300 kilometers?

at 110 miles i only found that the bolts that hold the headlight/speedo assembly got loose, and that is because the rubber slips at the bottom of the bracket had backed themeselves up, causing excesive vibration. i slip them in again, coated the bracket with vaseline and now they slide freely without pulling them out. nice and tight.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillysdad621 View Post

But seriously, does anyone know if the odometer in the icebear champion reads miles, or kilometers?
and the first oil change, is it at 300 miles, or 300 kilometers?
There is a DAX, CT70, ST70 replica group on Facebook started by a guy, Paul Pollard, in UK based on his Lifan 110 replica (we had those in the US years ago) and his Skyteam branded 125cc replica, and the group became inundated with Ice Bear Champion owners. Someone ended up starting a group specifically for the Ice Bear Champions. My suggestion is to join either group. Member Alan Adams of Cajun Motorsports got much free advertising pushing the Champion on Paul's group and would no doubt have the answers you seek, not to mention one of the seasoned Champion owner members. I am guessing members from Paul's group are redundant on the Champion-specific group. If you do get the answers, please post here because someone surely could use the information.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #24

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526951340896237

TGB Delivery Scooter 150