Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

Megadan scared me

Ever since I read that thread about tightening spokes, now I’m worrying about it.

When I play the harp on my spokes, some of them sound kind of lower. Quite a bit lower. They are not loose really, but they are low pitch.

How do I know when to tighten these? And how much to tighten them? I don’t want to put my rim out of true. It was beautifully balanced and trued at Woody’s wheel works in Colorado. That famous place.

I just happen to be nearby and was getting sick of it wobbling. I had also bent it a little bit by tipping over the bike in a carrier rack. The wheel stuck in the rack and held the bike up. So that wasn’t too nice.

But they were able to true it and get it all back perfect. Now that some of them sound a little flat, all I can think about is that wheel taco post that Megadan made.

Any advice on how much to tighten and how to tighten so that I don’t screw up the wheel?

I do not currently have a garage or a shop of any kind. I have a little wrench and a lot of hope. Lol

Last edited by Boatguy; 11-06-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #2

I didn't have any that felt loose, and they all made a musical tone. I did start at the first spoke before the valve, so I knew were I started, and just barely gave them a little turn .I now have a spoke wrench, but I used a real small Crescent wrench on my front rim, and it was a little bit of a nuisance, but not too bad . I didn't use much pressure, and went around and snugged them most made a little chatter noise, and already seemed pretty snug, but a few were quite, and more free. I then went around in a pattern of skipping 2 like I saw on YouTube, and just basically put about the same light pressure on them all , and if one didn't turn under the pressure, I didn't force it, but on the ones that would, I gave just a slight rotation. I repeated this step , starting at the next spoke from the valve each time till they felt good. I was a little afraid that I may have over tightened them, because I am a worrier. When my spoke wrench came, I used it on the back. It has a flat spot in the center of the handle, about 2" from the head, and that's about were I put pressure. I still worry that I may have over tightened them, but I have ridden the bike enough since that I think I'm OK. I hope someone experienced chimes in, and give you, and me a better idea idea of how to get a good feel on the tightening. You probably already know, but turning the nipple counterclockwise tighten them.

Old 11-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #3

What Bill Hilly said. I would add I start at the valve stem, tighten and count 7 spokes, and repeat the process. The reason for 7 spokes is that tightening spokes this far apart has a tendency to NOT disturb rim out of round or unbalanced. As you go around you'll see you're going from side to side of the rim, further minimizing chances of distortion. Don't go crazy on tension at first, just a couple flats as you proceed around the rim. Listen for the "music". Good luck.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Ever since I read that thread about tightening spokes, now I’m worrying about it.

When I play the harp on my spokes, some of them sound kind of lower. Quite a bit lower. They are not loose really, but they are low pitch.

How do I know when to tighten these? And how much to tighten them? I don’t want to put my rim out of true. It was beautifully balanced and trued at Woody’s wheel works in Colorado. That famous place.

I just happen to be nearby and was getting sick of it wobbling. I had also bent it a little bit by tipping over the bike in a carrier rack. The wheel stuck in the rack and held the bike up. So that wasn’t too nice.

But they were able to true it and get it all back perfect. Now that some of them sound a little flat, all I can think about is that wheel taco post that Megadan made.

Any advice on how much to tighten and how to tighten so that I don’t screw up the wheel?

I do not currently have a garage or a shop of any kind. I have a little wrench and a lot of hope. Lol
Nothing scary about it nor do you need a shop or any kind of dedicated space. Just a stand to get a wheel off the ground and a spoke wrench.

As for basic spoke maintenance just search youtube and you will find endless videos on how to do it. Many of them will show spoke torque wrenches but you don't need one.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #5

Megadan scares me too. Mostly his picture.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-07-2022, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
What can I say, I'm just built scary lol
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #8

Ha ha ha ha ha. You guys are hilarious

Old 11-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #9

Here is some more spoke fear I saw. More like a donut than a taco but still looks no bueno

https://motorbikewriter.com/crash-pr...d-wheel-probe/

Old 11-09-2022, 01:13 AM   #10

scared me not ,never had a spoke problem.some people just worry !

Old 11-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #11

Maybe a little pricey, but there is a way to take the guess work out of spoke tuning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077H3S551

Old 11-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #12

yeah...that's expensive, huh! I always just did the tuning fork method.