Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Taotao Hellcat owners?

I don’t see much talk on here about the taotao hellcat. Any one have one or know much about them?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

I have one, pretty much bought it for a project. I'm having a lot of fun modding it. They are great lil bikes for the money. So far i did an exhaust upgrade, fender delete, mikuni vm22 carb, upgraded engine bolts, upgraded swing arm bolt and rear axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (98.3 KB, 2831 views)

Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #3

I also have one. Mine is all stock besides some dielectric grease and loctite. Runs great!

Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #4

Me to I have one as well

Old 03-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
I have one, pretty much bought it for a project. I'm having a lot of fun modding it. They are great lil bikes for the money. So far i did an exhaust upgrade, fender delete, mikuni vm22 carb, upgraded engine bolts, upgraded swing arm bolt and rear axle.
Did you use grom bolts for the engine?
What fender delete did you use or did you just cut it?

How long did you take you all to get the mco for them?

I just built mine and now all I need is the mco. I had tons of bolts loose including the rear sprocket which took awhile to find out since I was chasing a weird sound and turned out to be that.

Still getting a lot of noise out of the headlight area cut I think it’s all the plastic vibrating

Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
Did you use grom bolts for the engine?
What fender delete did you use or did you just cut it?

How long did you take you all to get the mco for them?

I just built mine and now all I need is the mco. I had tons of bolts loose including the rear sprocket which took awhile to find out since I was chasing a weird sound and turned out to be that.
Still getting a lot of noise out of the headlight area cut I think it’s all the plastic vibrating
The engine bolts were taped to the crate when I bought it. I didnt really find any loose bolts but I replaced some of them, and loctited most of them. I used a Vagabond fender eliminator for a 2015 Grom, bolted right in, just had to replace the stock 6mm bolts with 8mm bolts. I picked up mine from the warehouse in calif. and they registered it for me right there, got my plate about 6 weeks later.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
The engine bolts were taped to the crate when I bought it. I didnt really find any loose bolts but I replaced some of them, and loctited most of them. I used a Vagabond fender eliminator for a 2015 Grom, bolted right in, just had to replace the stock 6mm bolts with 8mm bolts. I picked up mine from the warehouse in calif. and they registered it for me right there, got my plate about 6 weeks later.
Mine didn’t come with any engine bolts. I guess I’ll just have to keep a eye on them. I’ve already locktite them down.

I wish I would have just did the dealer route but it would have costed me $650 more total. I’m getting worried I won’t get the mco after all this stuff I’ve been reading on here

Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #8

For the engine bolts you want to upgrade to something a lot stronger. What people are using is Class 10.9 bolts.

On the Fuerza (similar if not the same bike), off the top of my head, one of the bolts is a M8-1.25 x 150 mm. I don't remember the other. May have been 130 mm. I'll have to check the blog I'm trying to start up. I have it all written up.

If you go to a Fastenal, these bolts are pretty cheap. You can also get them in yellow zinc coating (for corrosion protection). I think the bolts are around $4 each.

For vibrating rattling... You can hit a Home Depot or Lowes (or whatever store... Fastenal probably has them too), for neoprene washers. You can slap some of those between the plastice parts and it absorbs some of the vibrations.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #9

Can you/How do you remove/replace swing arm bolt without taking wheel and swing arm off?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Can you/How do you remove/replace swing arm bolt without taking wheel and swing arm off?
I did take my swing arm off and wheel off, mainly to gain access to the lower engine bolt. I saw somewhere, maybe on this forum or youtube, to put a folding ladder over my bike and use ratchet straps to raise the rear of my bike off the ground. I worked great. I replaced the engine bolts, swing arm bolt and rear axle all at the same time. It only took an hour or so.

You could probably remove the rear axle and replace it an then use the axle you removed to drive out the swing arm bolt, then tap the new bolt in while driving the axle bolt out. The axle and swing arm bolt are the same part. I also put some grease on the swingarm bolt, the one that it replaced was dry.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #11

Use a decently tall A-Frame ladder with a ratchet strap... or 2 ladders with a piece of wood on top with a ratchet strap...

Loop the strap over the rear of the bike and ratchet it up.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 AM   #12

thanks for the info.
I have a bike stand front and rear type, I will try the bolt knockout idea.
Think if i'll mess something up removing the whole swing arm.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #13

I just got one. Looking for engine upgrades and exhaust. Thinking a 190cc

Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy361 View Post
I just got one. Looking for engine upgrades and exhaust. Thinking a 190cc
Congrats! I am speaking in general Chinabike terms, and not to discourage you or anyone else, but these bikes' engines tend to do best kept stock, but upgrade exhaust, carb, and gearing. If memory serves me, these are pretty much pit-bikes (engine-wise as far as engine itself and how it is mounted), so you can buy a crate engine in whatever size you desire. This is only a disclaimer based on conjecture from over the years, so if you are mechanically inclined, and bought one as a project (cheap one at that), don't let me stop you from trying to deal with your stock engine. Worse comes to worse, you will need a new engine anyway. But as far as stock engines go, most everyone around here with pretty much any kind of bike have upgraded exhaust, carb, and gearing and have posted seat-of-the-pants gains, as well as GPS verified gains.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Congrats! I am speaking in general Chinabike terms, and not to discourage you or anyone else, but these bikes' engines tend to do best kept stock, but upgrade exhaust, carb, and gearing. If memory serves me, these are pretty much pit-bikes (engine-wise as far as engine itself and how it is mounted), so you can buy a crate engine in whatever size you desire. This is only a disclaimer based on conjecture from over the years, so if you are mechanically inclined, and bought one as a project (cheap one at that), don't let me stop you from trying to deal with your stock engine. Worse comes to worse, you will need a new engine anyway. But as far as stock engines go, most everyone around here with pretty much any kind of bike have upgraded exhaust, carb, and gearing and have posted seat-of-the-pants gains, as well as GPS verified gains.
I installed an upgraded carb and exhaust on my Hellcat, sure I was hoping to gain a lil extra power but mostly because the stock carb and exhaust were junk.

I've posted a few youtube vids on my bike and the number one question I get is "what is the top speed". For me, if I can cruise 50 mph that is pretty much all I was looking to get. If I wanted something that could cruise 70 mph I would have looked into getting a bigger bike with a bigger engine and bigger wheels. Call me a wuss but I dont really want to go 70 mph on my Hellcat. I can understand wanting more power for doing 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies, and that sort of stuff, but I'm perfectly happy with the 125cc, if just seems to be the right fit for a bike of this size. That's just my opinion. But to each their own.