Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to LesterJames
Calling Hawk riders! New rider in Georgia!

Hey there! I just created an account here.
I recently picked up a 2015 Hawk 250 for cheap with pretty much no miles on it. I want to mainly use it to commute to and from work. Road it to work today. It worked great but I need to modify it to cruise comfortably at about 55. It has a hard time doing it right now. Would love some feedback from those who have tuned their Hawk to know what adjustments, upgrades and mods will help it run a little faster. I plan on switching the sprockets first, but don't know where to go after that. Is there a big bore option for it? Thanks in advance!

(I live in Acworth, GA.)

Name:  File_000.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  File_001.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  19.6 KB

Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

There is a ton of info on the hawk in the dual sports section of this site. One of the main things you can do is change the sprockets and adjust the carb. How hard was it to get tagged in GA? I'm In GA too.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

Welcome. Sprockets are good place to start. Lots of good info in the dual sport forum for the hawk.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterJames View Post
Is there a big bore option for it? Thanks in advance!
Don't touch the engine itself; Chinese bikes don't take well to playing around inside.

You are on the right track with the sprockets. I would suggest do those first, and see how it runs with just that mod. Many members have swapped out the carb, but I am one to try one mod at a time and leave it alone for a few weeks, before moving on to the next mod.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Welcome!

I recommend that you set the valves before doing anything else. A big bore kit is not gonna happen, unless you go liquid cooled.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

I totally agree with burn&file. Valves before anything. Once those are good, the carb mod is wicked simple and cheap. Get a Mikuni VM26 off ebay for $39 and get a jet kit for $10-20. Start with a 110 main. Once you get the carb tuned get a 17 in front. See if that is enough on the top end. If not grab a 45 for the back. I like my low gearing but I'm mainly off road. I like wheelies too

The bike has it's quirks but for the money they are great!

Old 10-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I switched out the front sprocket with a 17 and it's already better. The rear 45 is on the way. I'm guessing that it will suck on hills after I switch it though, but that's alright. I'll do the valve tuning next. Not sure about doing the carb mod yet, several people seem to not have noticed a change. Have any of you noticed a difference after installing the Mikuni Carb?

Getting it tagged has been hell. After going 5 times to the DMV (and getting different answers each time) it finally got submitted. Had to get a title bond, fill out affidavits, get police inspection, etc. The lady at the DMV submitted the packet of paperwork and gave me a registered tag but said the state may deny it and then I'll have to go through salvage to get it approved for street use. All in all, I've spent $200 to get it finally tagged, and will probably have to spend more for the salvage crap. Hopefully they have a new intern at the state office that will overlook the fact that its a kit bike and unknowingly approve it...

Also, where do I find this magical dual sport forum?

Last edited by LesterJames; 10-17-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

The carb mod for me was very noticeable. Prior to the carb/jet mod the Hawk need 20 minutes of warm up time to take it off choke.

You can re jet it with the stock carb but it's a pain to dremmel the tamper proof screws. If the replacement Mikuni was $200 I would have cracked up the stock one. But it is only $39, and that is coming from a cheapo china bike rider.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Also, where do I find this magical dual sport forum?
Here: http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101 There's several years worth of reading there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Not sure about doing the carb mod yet, several people seem to not have noticed a change. Have any of you noticed a difference after installing the Mikuni Carb?
I used a bit to remove stripped screws and just rejetted the stock carb. I noticed a big difference after 1/2 throttle, the bike used to bog down and ping occasionally, it runs fine now. It did not give me any real top end speed improvement, but it is more responsive to squirts of throttle. It also gave me a little more peace of mind knowing I've got some extra fuel to help cool the head when I'm scooting at speed.

I went from the stock 98 to a 110.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably get the mizuno carb eventually.
Does anyone know of an engine swap that is possible with this bike frame? Any larger engines that could be ripped from an older bike and put on the Hawk? I'm thinking like a 300cc to 400cc engine. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #12

Welcome to a Fellow GA Rider

Lester,
Welcome to the forum! I just placed the order for my Hawk this morning. I live out in Carrollton, and ride a DR650 now. I was a little hesitant to buy one because I absolutely wanted to get it tagged in GA, however everyone else says that it's not too hard at all. I'll post my D!!MV experience once I get the bike knocked together. I'm going to be doing a ton of upgrades and farkles to my bike because I ride year-round, and need everything to be able to take me wherever I need to go. Please continue to post about your upgrades and thoughts/experiences with your new Hawk!

Cheers!
-Emerikol
2015 Suzuki DR650
1987 Honda Rebel 250

Old 11-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Please continue to post about your upgrades and thoughts/experiences with your new Hawk!
Thanks Emerikol! Glad to know there will be another rider around here. We'll have to meet up at some point and go for a ride.

The only new upgrades I've done recently was install a new spark plug, which seems to help ignite past half throttle, and put all synthetic oil for the winter in the bike. Bike seems to run a little smoother now with both of those things. Once the back 45 tooth sprocket gets in I'll install it and then the Mikuni Carb will be the next upgrade.

Any one have a suggestion for which jet size to put in it? I've heard between 100 and 120 from some. I may just need to swap them until one works best.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #14

Also, I've been putting in premium gas in my Hawk. Is that overkill? Does the manual say? I don't have the manual. Bought my Hawk used.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Also, I've been putting in premium gas in my Hawk. Is that overkill? Does the manual say? I don't have the manual. Bought my Hawk used.
90 octane
Link to Manual http://www.therps.net/User%20Manual/Hawk%20HS250Y-A%20250cc%20dirt%20bike%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 11-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Tags
georgia, hawk, upgrades