Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #5056

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
This is a carbureted RX3, not the same as the CSC TT 250.
Yes, I know; that's why I placed this video in the RX3 thread. AKT imports the Zongshen RX3 in Colombia, where they have rebadged the RX3 as the AKT TT 250.

http://www.aktmotos.com/motos/turismo/tt-250-adventour

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #5057

Great post about VA HU trip. This got me so excited to attend one that I finally ordered myself a red RX-3 after researching for months. This site is great and I really enjoy reading people's experiences with this bike. CSC has made the ordering process so easy. My bike was built and boxed in 3 days from my order and will ship today (just ahead of arrival of TTs)! I am like a kid waiting for Christmas day!!! Now I am planning my trip to attend the HU meeting in NC in October.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #5058

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC RX3 2016 View Post
Great post about VA HU trip. This got me so excited to attend one that I finally ordered myself a red RX-3 after researching for months. This site is great and I really enjoy reading people's experiences with this bike. CSC has made the ordering process so easy. My bike was built and boxed in 3 days from my order and will ship today (just ahead of arrival of TTs)! I am like a kid waiting for Christmas day!!! Now I am planning my trip to attend the HU meeting in NC in October.
congrats on the new bike!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #5059

Quote:
Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

Congratulations on purchasing your Zongshen RX3. Please post lots of photographs after your new bike arrives.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #5060

For those of you who use a Motion Pro chain alignment tool 08-0048 I have listed a 14" extended rod for them on Ebay that doubles the viewing accuracy of the standard 7" long rod. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162060034808...witem=&vxp=mtr

Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #5061

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Well campfire friends, I just got back from the HU Virginia meeting. This was a 180 or so mile ride from home to Appomattox, Virginia, so it was a good distance to see how the Zong would do with a load. My ride was on US40, which bisects Ft. Pickett (an Army National Guard Base). Tanks really do cross the road!

near the main entrance to Ft. Pickett
another (WW1) tank by the VFW in Crewe, Virginia.

Bottom line, the suspension finally felt good! This is a big change from my experience while breaking in the engine. With no camping gear loaded and the shock preload totally backed off the suspension was entirely too stiff. The difference on this trip was so pronounced that I weighed my load as soon as I got home so I could quantify what it took to get everything working. Basically it took 83 lbs more than my normal 195 lb body weight. Thus, the 400/450 spring on the Progressive shock is set up for someone who weighs between 250 and 275 lbs.

OK beyond the suspension, the bike ran just fine on two lane roads doing 55-60 with no issues. Yes, going up a hill can mean WFO in some cases due to the load. Still, it was a fun ride.

The HU meeting was at a 4-H camp in the middle of a state park.

This is a great location, being within easy riding distance from a number of major metro centers on the East Coast. I'm guessing they had 200 attendees. Of course we had people from all over the world so it's hard to call this just a regional event. Throughout the 3 days there was a steady stream of presentations about various phases of motorcycle travel, as well as detailed slide shows about specific journeys.
Two guys had recently gone around the world in 93 days! There were trips to South America, Mongolia, Africa, and places I had hardly known to exist. Suffice to say the topics covered were fascinating. Makes one want to chuck it all and go for a long ride...maybe a year or three.

I thought I'd have the only Zong but that was not the case. Imaging my surprise to see a white RX3 before I had even gotten off my bike.
The white one belongs to Andy Pain, from Wisconsin. Andy is the go-to guy when it comes to minimalist motorcycle travel. He has written a few small books on the subject and had a one hour presentation on the subject.
I noticed that throughout the weekend there were people gathered around the Zongs and Andy was answering questions.

Here's 'madsocial'.
Now if she can just get here new Zong out of the PA DMV maze...at least she got to see an identical bike in the flesh!

Least one think this is just a BMW gathering let me assure you that's not the case. In fact, I saw some absolutely.......interesting....rides.

Lucy has gone places I could only dream about...in a nightmare!

The food was excellent,

as were the other facilities.

If you want to get inspired, attend a HU meeting. Be prepared to answer lots of questions about the Zong. The BMW rondels on my bike caused some serious head scratching. One guy was actually pissed off at the thought that the Chinese had made an identical clone of this little BMW (waving at Andy's white Zong). Imaging how deflated he was when I admitted that the 'little BMW was, indeed, another Zong). Great fun!

Peter Y.
What a great time it was Peter! That was an awesome right up. It was beyond a pleasure to meet you face to face. Hopefully the open road will bring us together again soon, only yeah, this time, on my new RX3. haha!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #5062

Quote:
My husband and I might come done to HU-NC. I think Andy, my buddy from Milwaukee that Peter wrote about in his review, will be there. Not only that, but his wife has a red RX3, so they might be down there with both of their bikes. There might possibly be a fleet of CSC bikes there. How exciting is that!!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #5063

Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
My husband and I might come done to HU-NC. I think Andy, my buddy from Milwaukee that Peter wrote about in his review, will be there. Not only that, but his wife has a red RX3, so they might be down there with both of their bikes. There might possibly be a fleet of CSC bikes there. How exciting is that!!
Glad to be part of this Adventure bike revolution! There are a few other RX3s in western NC so let's all show up and let the others take notice.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #5064

Ok - my new little boy arrived yesterday in good order. My friend Mark Zimmerman (author of The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance) was on hand to help me receive, uncrate, and assemble Rex along with my friend Brenda. Aside from a few registration glitches with my local DMV all is well and he is enjoying his new surroundings and getting acquainted with his siblings in the garage. Rainy week here so not sure when we'll get some miles in. I have a D/S ride to lead on Saturday (only dry day) with the XT so he may not see any on-tar time until sometime later next week.

May I introduce Rex!:
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/Du.../RX3%20Cyclone
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 05-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #5065

Thanks for posting the nice photos. Your silver RX3 looks great.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #5066

Silver looks great! congrats!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #5067

So,pyoungbl,,, your saying the progressive shock is too stiff for someone like me. (200 lbs)??? I so badly wanted to save up an get that shock ,, as I can't hardly take the harshness of the stock shock. I was under the impression that the progressive unit was the holy grail suspension fix for the rx3.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #5068

Fishman10, as delivered the Progressive shock with 400/450 spring had too much preload for my weight. I'm 195# without riding gear. I backed off on the preload until it was just finger tight, thus as far as it would go and still be set on the spring. Bear in mind, the shock is two components...spring and dampener. I believe the dampening portion of the Progressive shock is a superior part. You always have to match the spring part with the rider and his gear.

Last week I did a 400 mile camping trip. With the bike loaded for camping, about 65#, and my riding gear on, the total load was about 275#. The bike ran great and the suspension was just fine. I think that three factors came into play: full load on the bike, some break-in miles on the suspension, and reduced compression/rebound setting. I now have C/R set at 2 out of 5.

Before the trip I had about 240 miles on the bike. I had greased the suspension link bearings but the various moving parts must have been still bedding in. Now, with 685 miles I want to try riding without the extra weight. I suspect it will be OK. To get sag where it should be (per the Race Tech Suspension Bible...30% of travel) I actually need to add just a touch of pre-load. Riding is always the final test and if I still need a softer spring for the way I ride there are options on the Progressive Suspension web site. With all that said, the stock seat is the weak point for traveling. I have ordered the upgrade seat from CSC. I'll try that for a trip or two.

At the moment I'm doing the first service. After I get through this ordeal I'll be ready to ride more. BTW, all my valves were tight. My smallest feeler gauge is .04mm and would not fit on any of the valves. Now they are all at .06mm. This first service is not one to skip!

Peter Y.

Last edited by pyoungbl; 05-06-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 05-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #5069

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
...At the moment I'm doing the first service. After I get through this ordeal I'll be ready to ride more. BTW, all my valves were tight. My smallest feeler gauge is .04mm and would not fit on any of the valves. Now they are all at .06mm. This first service is not one to skip!

Peter Y.
Indeed, that has been my experience, as well. You offer excellent advice. The valve clearances tend to close quickly for the new RX3 bikes. Therefore, don't delay the first valve lash inspection. Also, I recommend checking the valve lash every 2,500 miles until the valve lash stabilizes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #5070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Dualsport Chic, Rx looks great! LOVE the new silver color. Just awesome on the RX3, espeically with the new paint style. Looking forward to the ride report as soon as weather cooperates!