Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #1

Gas tank swap options?

Hi all,

I've just picked up my second GIO Beast and have decided to get to modifying them. Has anyone had any success swapping in another gas tank that has a petcock with a fuel reserve?

I'm pondering something like the tank from a YFZ450 [random on-line store link]. i don't have a problem with cutting the plastic. Has anyone attempted this or am I just wildly crazy?

Thanks guys!
Dan

Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

i would think you could just swap out the petcock if it has a somewhat standard petcock... if you could post pics of what your petcock looks like and how it mounts that would help greatly!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Welcome Dan!

Bogieboy, the Beast has no petcock at all. On mine, I installed an inline petcock, but that still does not provide reserve. I've thought about welding a small plate to the bottom of the tank, so I could drill and tap to suit a standard petcock; that would provide reserve. Since it's a steel tank, I'm sure I could get it clean enough to weld on.

That said, I do like the idea of using a plastic tank that already has reserve.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

I've pulled the tank off of one of my beast and I'm going to drive by a few dealers on the way home today to see if I can identify a tank that is a close fit.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by danw; 07-23-2014 at 12:51 AM.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #5

Which Province do you live in, Dan?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #6

I'm on Vancouver island. Haven't gotten a good look at any tanks yet, but this week I should have time.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #7

You're a little far for me to take on a project. Do you have access to a welder?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #8

I have a Lincoln Electric 110v Mig with argon. But I'm hesitant to weld on a gas tank if I can get a plastic one from something else.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

I agree, although tanks like that are inexpensive, so you could waste one and it wouldn't hurt much.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #10

Another islander. I'm on the island aswell

If you are going to weld the tank I'd fill it with water
I've never welded a gas tank. But always heard to fill with water

Where on the island are you ?

Dave

Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #11

Filling it with water is one way, but you can also clean it successfully with CLR and lots of water. I expect that Castrol Super Clean would also work well.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #12

I'm in Victoria.

I just cleaned out the carb from my older Beast and it was full of what looks like rusty gunk. I think I'm going to order the tank from a YFZ 450 and see if I can make it work.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #13

A fuel filter is a good idea. Just choose a good quality unit, so it doesn't come apart on the trail and pour fuel on a hot engine. Made in USA is a good sign.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #14

tank rust

somewhere I saw a product for cleaning tanks out... CTC or ??? you can just wash it out good with water & soap to get all the gas fumes out... so then there is no exploxing products inside.. you can not weld with water inside... it will take the heat away... and not let the weld stick... if you can get a new tank some times they are very cheap.... I needed a tank for a KANDI 150 DD DUEN BUGGY... THE REPAIR shopwanted $100.00.... a new tank from CALIFORNIA WAS $24.00 & SHIPPING.... I bought 2 of them $48.00 _+ fedex ground.. $57.00... less than $120.00 one for a spare..

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
you can not weld with water inside... it will take the heat away... and not let the weld stick... .

uh yes you can weld with water inside......I have seen many a welder fill a tank with water and weld a crack or hole.

Tags
atv, petcock, tank