Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Do you like the flames?
Yes! 1 50.00%
No! 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #1

Flames + Electrical Problems. W/video and poll! HELP

Problem = No lights work anymore. Shown in the video but the horn still works. Read the section below as to what I did

Viewing pleaseure = Flames in the beginning of the video. Watch through to the horn and lights aftermath. Any idea whats making these flames? One of the studs snapped of and its a little loose. I just cant get the stud out of the engine to replace it. Sucks. Any ideas?

I was fooling around with my bike tonight. The lights were blinking really fast so I knew something was out. It was my low beam. I take out the bulb and battery (it needed a charge). With the low beam out and battery, I am curious if my bike will still kick over and start. It starts and the headlight and tail light get really bright and die almost instantly, as did the turn signals. I feel like a noob.

With the battery charged, I put it back in and nothing worked. The bike still runs, its just a little illegal for road use without lights.

Did I kill all my light bulbs? Or is there a fuse somewhere? I am comfortable working on the bike. Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #2

Click on the image for the video. I can take a better one in the daytime or some pictures. Thanks! Ill be sure to check this! I am not sure what forum this should have gone in. Feel free to move it.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Flames are fun.

Do you mean that one of the exhaust studs in the cylinder head snapped off? If so, you can carefully drill into the stud and use an extractor (like an Easy-out) to remove the stud.

When you removed the battery and started the engine, is it possible that the positive battery cable touched the frame? That would certainly blow the fuse, which is located in the small red wire that connects to the battery.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Yes. I will take a picture of it later once I fully wake up. I would need to find a drill as I am staying on my college campus this summer. I decided not to be lazy and get my bike fixed.

I think I found a place where there is supposed to be a fuse. But there is no fuse the wires are just snapped together. See the pics below. In case anyone is wondering the orange performance coil is pretty nice (purchased on ebay). Along with the blue winged CDI box. Not seen in the pics below but let me know if you would like them.

Also while I was taking pictures, I thought I would ask this. What is the black thing in the pictures below? It has a pink and a black wire running to it. My guess is the turn signal resistor? Let me know.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

UPDATE: I got a fuse in the bike. Turns out the surge blew all the lights. I was able to get every light except the headlight at the hardware store. I ordered the headlight off ebay. All the lights work again! Stupid me when I set up the bike, I was confuse as to what the gas thing was... The bike worked great for over a year without a fuse....... The electric start and everything! It only went bad when I tried o start without the battery. I believe I need a new battery, even after charging it, the lights no longer turn on with the key in the ignition.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

I'm glad you got a fuse installed, and your bike is running. The "mystery part" in your photographs is the turn signal, flasher relay.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

Sweet, I thought it was the flasher relay. Now I only have two projects left on my bike until its fully running. Front tire is flat and I have to dripp out the exhaust bolt.

Does anyone know where to find the exhaust studs? I haven't found them on ebay.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #8

There's probably a good reason to use studs instead of bolts. However, when I broke one of the exhaust studs on my engine, I intentionally substituted two flange bolts. You can certainly use one flange bolt, at least temporarily, until you find the correct studs. However, don't overtighten the bolt! 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #9

Thanks for the pics. You won't likely need a drill, just a pair of Vise Grips and a torch. There is enough of the stud sticking out for you to grab ahold of. I agree with Spud, just use a bolt; make sure it's not going to bottom out in the hole.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

I have a cheap vise grip. I may have to buy a better (american made). How would I go about using the torch? I learn new skills everyday with this bike Everytime something goes wrong with my bike I buy 2 of them becuase everything is so cheap I have almost a whole KLX rebuild kit, or getting there at least.

I love this forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #11

use the torch to heat the stud until it is red hot, then allow the stud to cool a bit before twisting it with the vise grips. I suggest you also spray some penetrating oil (PB Blaster is very good) in the crack between the stud and cylinder head. The heating and cooling of the stud causes expansion and contraction, which will help break the bond between the stud and the cylinder head. The heat also helps the penetrating oil to work its way between the mating surfaces of the two parts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

Please make sure that you're performing this procedure outdoors, make sure the fuel is shut off and have a fire extinguisher handy.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Please make sure that you're performing this procedure outdoors, make sure the fuel is shut off and have a fire extinguisher handy.
Now why would he want to do something like that...

Seriously, do what W&G says...
and if you wind up needing to use an E-Z Out, I just picked up a set from Home Depot that have a burr on one end and the EZ-out on the other. The burr works much better at making a hole than trying to use a drill bit.
Good luck.
Bill R

Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead with this project later tonight. I will post pictures, I just have to wait until I am home from work! Then I have to go buy a torch and a nice vise grip. I will be performing it outside, no worries. I will also be replacing my front inner tube at the same time and the bike will be working again!

Should I oil before or after I heat up the stud? Wouldn't the oil start on fire?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #15

What I do is heat the stud with a torch, then quench it with a shot of WD-40. It will smoke when you spray it, but the stud should come out easily.