Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

new guy here with dr70 issues

Hey guys been shadowing the site for a while and finally decided to join. You guys really seem to know your stuff about hensims so here goes.

So one of my frequent customers and long time friends brings me this bike he picked up for $100. Its a hensim baja dr70 4speed semiauto. When it runs, it runs amazingly, shifts fine, goes fast as hell for a 70cc. The problem... getting it to run in the first place.

Previous owner beat it pretty bad and said it would only run off 40:1 mix gas. Sure enough that's what it ran on the only 2 times I've gotten it started. I've since cleaned everything up with some seafoam deepcreep and rebuilt the carb. I can't get it to fire on straight 87oct. At all. I've got spark its getting fuel (it backfires every 20 kicks or so) and the most ill get out of it is a put put put puff. I've pulled all the wiring (the enormous 9 wire harness.. ) and cleaned all of the contacts and connections. I've cleaned the mud from the magneto and the magnet. And I got nothing.

Coil is good, cdi (dci?)is good. There's no reed valve to clean or replace. And I get gas out of the carb occasionally. Choke setting or throttle position don't seem to matter.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction I would be grateful!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #2

well, got it running, played with the valves a bit. took the intake valve to .003" and the exhaust to .002" (both were set to .004") runs good in higher rpms but has a slight misfire getting there, also wont stay idling, so now that it runs my question changes.

I've tried every setting imaginable on the carb between the A/F and idle screws. and it'll idle at roughly 2500 rpms (judging by ear) but i know that's pretty high. ive got the a/f set at stock 2 turns out and the throttle stop/idle screw ALL the way in. both needles are clean (throttle and float) and the jets are spotless.

any ideas?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Welcome!

Glad to hear that you made some progress by setting the valves. What posessed the PO to use mixed gas in it?

How do you know the CDI is good? My guess is that it's fine, but the only way to know for sure is to swap it.

The carb is likely in need of different jets, but back to that in a moment. Do you have pics of the bike? I have a sneaking suspicion that the exhaust is the same nasty design as Son of Weldangrind's first bike. Show us the bike, and we'll go from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Cdi
http://www.sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=10 | http://www.sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=12
---
What's the ohm reading of pickup & source coil

---
Pickup (tells when to spark) maybe F***ed | Have spark - Sorce coil / EXT maybe OK
IF ohm reading is within limit, check the gap btw pickup & flywheel as CDI maker said. http://www.sanxin.com.cn/Exhibit/exhview.asp?pid=1

Old 09-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #5

I had the 90cc version of this bike and it had the restrictive exhaust. Mine always started on one or two kicks. It too was beat by the PO, but I brought it back to beat it some more.

My guess is that you replaced the plug with a new one. The next thought is that the exhaust may be plugged up with residue from the oil burning.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

Ill have to wait till the wife gets home for pics ( her phone is our internet lol) but if you look at a google image search for a baja dr70 its one of the first few pics. Descriptions of the exhaust. Has a 2 bolt slide flange with maybe a 1" mating surface over a 3/4" pipe that makes a direct "u" bend up and a 60*(ish) bend to route it to the back of the pipe. And the gasket is a typical crush style ring gasket that is.. well very.. crushed lol.

Ill take an ohm reading of the cdi tonight when I go get the wife because my ohm meter has since decided to die and I don't have any spare 9v's laying around lol

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Pretty much identical to what I'm working on. Just a lot nicer ( minus that issue with the handlebars lol)

Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #8

pics of the bike as requested! and more detailed pics of the exhaust itself

Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

also turns out that the owner gave me the bike because he couldnt pay for the repairs and parts it needs (needs wheels/tires/tubes front and rear, new sprockets, chain and paint... badly along with some other things)

so.. woohoo for free dirtbikes! lol

Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

exhaust

yes take the exhaust off... I had a customer and I rebuild the motor because he was using oil like 1 litre every 20 mins... after I got it done it would barley idle and quit... the muffler was plugged from all the oil.... took the exhaust off at the motor ...... just prrrr... replaced muffler... was fine..

Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #11

I've cooked a few two stroke mufflers to get the oil out, and you should be able to do the same thing. I place the muffler vertically in a vise on my welding table (outside), and slowly heat it with a propane torch. On an old two-stroke muffler, expect that process to take about an hour, but it should be much less for you. Keep heating it until the smoke stops billowing out.

You could just buy a new exhaust, but propane is cheap.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #12

i have a spare muffler i can throw on if needed, would it make that much of a difference with the way it runs? thats crazy. guess it would make sense though.. kind of the equivalent of a clogged catalytic converter?

anything else i should do while im hacking up the exhaust? would replacing it entirely and upgrading it be a bad idea for something this small? say go from that stock 1" pipe to 1 1/4"? would make for more even and unrestricted flow straight out of the head.

not meant to sound stupid but my specialty is cars (primarily japanese sports cars 300zx, supra, rx7/8) ive worked on a few quads and bikes but nothing as extensive as what ive had to put into this one.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 AM   #13

Your logic is certainly correct. More air out = more air in, assuming the intake side is up to the job.

You wouldn't believe what some of these mufflers look like inside. There's plenty of opportunity for oil to be trapped.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #14

what are your suggestions for the carb? is there a way to enlarge the jets i have without having to buy a "performance" carb?

i actually have plans for this motor if i can get it to start and run reliably, was thinking of converting it to electric start and putting it on a flat cart (solid frame single pan go-kart with the sprockets from a honda cbr 600 (14&41 tooth combo) to have some fun with at car shows etc

Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #15

There are tons of parts available for these.

$46 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-PIPE...3bc4d5&vxp=mtr