Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2023, 09:30 PM   #1

Baby's new shoes

My poor Lifan KPR 200 thumperette is out in the garage hanging from the rafters by tie downs waiting for new tires both front and rear. Gonna go to a local motorcycle dealer in the morning to get the new Michelin Pilot Street 2 tires mounted.

Thing I don't like is I cannot find any tires in stock sizes of 90/90-17 front and 120/80-17 rear and had to settle for 100/80-17 front and 130/70-17 rear in an effort to come close to the same tread profiles.

Sadly, judging from the first Michelin Pilot Street 2 rear tire I had mounted 6500 miles ago the tread profile is nowhere near close to the stock tires. And yet there just isn't anything out there that I could find.

Why am I complaining? The KPR thumperette handles really really good in sharp curves with the stock tire sizes tread profile giving great confidence to dive into even 90 degrees corners at speed but is a bit skittery with the different tread profile Michelins. Anyone know of any tubeless 90/90-17 and 120/80-17 tires available in the U. S.?

Old 09-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #2

Well I got the new tires installed on the bike. Lining up everything getting the rear wheel back on is quite an exercise in frustration. Seems like every time I had it all lined up the sprocket side spacer would fall out. GRRrrrr!

Old 09-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #3

New shoes, what’s that? I’m still running the same old shoes . Give us a ride report on the new Michelin tires and different sizes and your personal opinion on it please. It will be beneficial to me and others, thanks Bikenut!! Keep giving her the miles
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #4

Ok.... here are my initial ramblings.....

After the initial squirmy break in/scuff the slippery off the new tires I can say they held fine leaned over far enough to drag my toes so I guess there is enough traction. But so far that is on very clean and grippy pavement. And I doubt I'll be riding in the rain. Too old for that much discomfort.

Transition from upright to a decent lean angle is smooth and effortless without any sudden changes. Grip seems very good in straight line with full on front brake holding at/near breaking traction completely. No surprises yet with front brake trail braking either. Even held the front brake on deeper than usual into a sharp right hand curve trying to scrub off way too much entry speed with no problem other than a momentary pucker on my part.

I have no clue how the rear tire would perform under trail braking since the way I ride curves on the street, rear brake trail braking ='s slide ='s low or high side crash, so I have no use for the rear brake other than to hold the bike still on a hill so I can scratch an itchy place.

The tread profile is so rounded I'll never be able to use the tires to the tread's edges. My concern is contact patch size. Not that the KPR has enough beans to overpower the rear tire but that there might not be enough contact patch in the front, or rear for that matter, to hold when available traction isn't optimum .... or when at a scary (FUN!!) lean angle.