Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

Question : Importing a dirtbike to canada (quebec)

I have been looking around for a made in china dirt bike.

My main concern is how will i be able to register it so i can take in out in the trails and insure it? I probably wont be buying the bike in the US, i would go straight to a chinese dealer.

What kind of paperwork do i need? what questions should i ask before buying the bike?

Basically any information would be great, thanks alot guys.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #2

You can not import a vehicle from China unless it was originally manufactured to comply with all U.S. or Canadian standards.....
I recently...well back in January started to import a china bike...its finally at the stage where I will be able to register it if it passes the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles inspection at Canadian Tire......
I posted in this form already about impoting into Canada , go ahead and check it out if you want!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #3

Do you know what these standarts are? what questions i should ask?

Thank you

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #4

Well...any exporting company should be aware of what they can and can not send across borders....if you talk to a private seller then you will have to ask questions.
The bike has to have a FMVSS or CMVSS label affixed to it these mean Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (U.S.) & Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) dirt bikes need off-road labels attached too...
Here go to this and make sure search by manufacturers name is checked, (it should be, if not then do so) and type in the Original equipment manufacturers name (ex. KAWASAKI) if it shows then the vehicle is admissable, but contact RIV by phone to double check.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...2&im=&reload=2

Most dirt bikes, pocket bikes, mini bikes,etc... are admissable as restricted use motorcycles.....

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

retriscted use means on trails and stuff right? I don't need my dirtbike to be road ready , i just want to be able to register it and insure it.

Do i need those first two certifications for trail use?

Thank you for all your help.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #6

Its a bit strange, Im at the point where I am waiting for a letter from the Registrar of imported vehicles telling me where to get my bike inspected and what to do to it so it passes, I will let you know more once Im finished with that, I think that even a dirt bike needs to have labels attaches at least off road labels...and yes it still has to be inspected not sure why?
Ill keep you posted!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #7

Ok so I finally got my letter, piece of cake......my bike needs to have off road label, the dealer printed one off and stuck it on the bike, it would not have cleared customs without it, and all lighting has to be compliant with bike class....being a restricted-use motorcycle lighting requirements are hardly needed...retro-reflective devices is all thats needed, I think......also dont import a 3-wheeler they cant pass the inspection.....spoke to Canadian Tire they said dont worry about the inspection it will pass.........

So after that registration is up to provincial License bureau...... as far as I know New2Ride licensed his China bike for road use in Ontario, so I should be able to after a saftey inspection...as for registering for off-road use...would be a breeze as long as you get the bike and it passes the RIV inspection....good luck!

Any more questions just post!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #8

Sounds like you are on your way to being legal.

Hope it works out for you.

Allen

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #9

Thanks I appreciate it, this site has been a big help the last couple months while I worked on this importation, Im not in the clear yet but I will keep y'all posted, thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #10

where did you buy your bike and what is it,

I am looking at buying a American Lifan LF200GY-5 from motoxtreme.net

where and what are you getting and was it any trouble at the border.....
Did you bring it into canada in crate form or was it all put together already.

did the look for the sticker that it was off road use only.... and could I just put one of those on my self

trying to get one into Vancouver, BC

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #11

I answered you in PM, but you should phone Ken and deal locally, you could pick it up there...

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #12

I think you would be better buying from Jim's source and not having to worry about importing one.

Allen

Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #13

Bunch of friendly canadians up here. PM me if there is anything I can help with. I'm always here>

Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #14

He is probably only half hour, 45 mins tops from the "main" Canadian Lifan distributor (Coast to Coast Motorsports), and they will sell direct (as a dealer), so he can stop buy and check out what they've got, talk to them in person, etc... Ken's a good guy there, and he gives you everything you need to have to get it registered, he does insist you have it inspected (I am thinking for liability purposes), but the shop he recommends is close by as well and familiar with the bikes... Very painless process..

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #15

Member 'warrior91' just started a thread about a brand of bike called XTM that he just bought on Ebay in Canada. I think that would be the route to go, as they have pure dirt bikes in Canada for under $1k, and seem to have the "goods" (i.e. Zongshen 250 engine)