Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #46

Thats much better than mine. I think thats a couple inches lower than mine with seat shaved down to almost nothing. Lol

Thanks Culcune, i was gonna offer you a trade but the 1400 miles between us makes ot hard.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchitti View Post
Thats much better than mine. I think thats a couple inches lower than mine with seat shaved down to almost nothing. Lol

Thanks Culcune, i was gonna offer you a trade but the 1400 miles between us makes ot hard.
There are plenty of frontage roads along I-10; we can meet at the 700 miles mark or so near the Texas/NM border--El Paso?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #48

Los cruces would be better. I wanna ride through the lincoln national forest anyways.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #49

so..the quest continues

I ended up having to cancel my order for the bike from Excalibur. $1800 wasn't this much money a few years ago. I am probably going to have to look local - used but, have noticed that the market for these types of bikes is all but non existent here.

so, the original question remains. Which comparably tagged/cc/outfitted china bike is the better / wiser buy for someone that intends to use the bike pretty much daily on/off road with offroad stuff more infrequent.

It's like pulling fruit from a tree..

You have to get the fruit off the tree and have a bite before you know if its sour or not.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #50

Getting CLOSE!

Finally. After all the rollercoaster emotions of "getting a bike" to "canceled the order", I am now back to getting a bike! Still wondering brand "X" or "Y"?

I was ready with a deposit down @ Xcalibur to go with the TMEC 200 enduro and now I have been reading posts on the Bashan GYs that have emerged favorably. I thought about the SSR with the XF clone engine, but there we are talking $3k I'm not quite sure what the allure is for me to want for a China bike.. Probably the fun/challenge of making something work better than originally intended or designed to. Whatever the reason, I am back in this

Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #51

(Probably the fun/challenge of making something work better than originally intended or designed ) This Is the part that I enjoy so much . The look on peoples face ,when you say It's not Honda or Yamaha It's Chinese . Worth the effort

Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #52

I like the Bashon 200 and the TMEC also. The Bashon has to be the bargain in the 200 (and they make a 250cc also). One thing I like about the TMEC is a quite organized and pretty well thought out online parts catalog. As far as I know Bashon doesn't have one. And, I've heard good things about Wade Liu of Excaliber who sells the TMEC. Third, I had the chance to at least see a TMEC in Puyallup, Washington about 3 1/2 years ago in person, and they looked pretty nice.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #53

I would still consider the TMEC just because of parts and such. The advantage of the Bashans is the price and the larger engine, however. I am biased toward TMEC because I want to ensure they stay in the US for a while, but being a cheap guy, the Bashans look good from the price point?! Maybe you can wheel and deal with Wade?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
I like the Bashon 200 and the TMEC also. The Bashon has to be the bargain in the 200 (and they make a 250cc also). One thing I like about the TMEC is a quite organized and pretty well thought out online parts catalog. As far as I know Bashon doesn't have one. And, I've heard good things about Wade Liu of Excaliber who sells the TMEC. Third, I had the chance to at least see a TMEC in Puyallup, Washington about 3 1/2 years ago in person, and they looked pretty nice.
My instinct tells me go cheap.. The Bash is $1130 shipped and has the counter balanced engine.. I can jazz it up and make it go.. However..

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I would still consider the TMEC just because of parts and such. The advantage of the Bashans is the price and the larger engine, however. I am biased toward TMEC because I want to ensure they stay in the US for a while, but being a cheap guy, the Bashans look good from the price point?! Maybe you can wheel and deal with Wade?
I have a good feeling about the TMEC. The fact that they are an actual machinery company and sans the engines and maybe plastic bits, I am guessing they do alot of the other fab work in house. From what I can see, they (TMEC) are pretty well regarded in China and here on CR.
Wade is indeed a top notch guy. I am steering toward the TMEC knobby 200.

My only concern is roadability. I live in Wisconsin and there are a plethora of rustic dirt and tar/stone roads smattered with late 19th century Amish farms, rolling hills and loads of old logging roads to explore.. I live in a somewhat urban area and would need to commute to these adventure areas on rural highways with 50-55mph speed limits for 30 plus miles. I want to be okay with winding this little 200cc up for more than a few miles. I would hate the thought of having to trailer my bike there. That would kill some of the adventure.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #55

My bike is (was) ridden daily 16 miles each way to work and back, with about half at 50+ (probably 60+ due to traffic riding my a$%) and no problems. Their engine is a proprietary engine manufactured by Zongshen, the 167FML. Proprietary in the fact that it passed EPA for a street bike/enduro specifically in the TMEC. I had over 10k miles in my old bike (and it is back running with a new owner) and 3k miles on the new one before the accident sidelined it (although the car which was loaned to me indefinitely was borrowed back for a road trip to San Diego over the long weekend and blew a head gasket so I might have to dust off the TMEC tomorrow and beyond...) with bolts and things being the only thing. I do believe my not catching missing bolts on the old bike is what led to it having engine mount issue/failure (since fixed by a knowledgeable owner hence why it is back on the road).

That is my TMEC from experience. Bashans will have to have more reports from owners. I think the only issue they had were the original 2 members having issues with their 250 (229cc) gas tanks leaking on them when full.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
My bike is (was) ridden daily 16 miles each way to work and back, with about half at 50+ (probably 60+ due to traffic riding my a$%) and no problems. Their engine is a proprietary engine manufactured by Zongshen, the 167FML. Proprietary in the fact that it passed EPA for a street bike/enduro specifically in the TMEC. I had over 10k miles in my old bike (and it is back running with a new owner) and 3k miles on the new one before the accident sidelined it (although the car which was loaned to me indefinitely was borrowed back for a road trip to San Diego over the long weekend and blew a head gasket so I might have to dust off the TMEC tomorrow and beyond...) with bolts and things being the only thing. I do believe my not catching missing bolts on the old bike is what led to it having engine mount issue/failure (since fixed by a knowledgeable owner hence why it is back on the road).

That is my TMEC from experience. Bashans will have to have more reports from owners. I think the only issue they had were the original 2 members having issues with their 250 (229cc) gas tanks leaking on them when full.
That is encouraging. I am again steering toward the TMEC.. I don't want or need a larger displacement bike.. I just need a bike to get me from the concrete, on the concrete to the fun. Reliably. Your's and others (vacationtime247?) experiences with these bikes seems to be a pretty strong testimony to this bikes worth. There was another CR member.. footer? who was from Wisconsin and bought a TMEC (from Wade Liu) that I haven't seen posting lately, so not sure how his bike is acting for him.
I am going to take a couple more weeks to make a final decision and it will depend on availability (obviously) - as I want the knobby tire variant and I would like to do all the assembly and PDI stuff myself. Wade was not too keen on selling me a crated bike citing the need to know it worked when it left the warehouse. I had also considered the SSR XF250 for its across the board good reviews.. but for 3k?? I could get a used Yamaha 250 for that money. I am set on getting a China bike. I love to root for the underdog, give the dog a flea bath enter it in a contest and have it come out smelling better than it did going in.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #57

For the most part, the bikes are on level ground. I would choose the counter-balanced engine, and even be willing to pay more for it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
For the most part, the bikes are on level ground. I would choose the counter-balanced engine, and even be willing to pay more for it.
Good point. I just wish I had a good feel for parts availability for the Bashans. I am pretty much ready to order now.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #59

Still Shopping??

Still shopping? $1130 for a new bike sounds hard to pass up!! Is the TMEC in the same price range? If you are still considering the SSR XF 250 I got mine for $2400($2700 OTD) with very little haggling. $2,700 could have gotten me another used Honda, but this is the most trouble free bike I've ever owned and I can use Suzuki parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
Finally. After all the rollercoaster emotions of "getting a bike" to "canceled the order", I am now back to getting a bike! Still wondering brand "X" or "Y"?

I was ready with a deposit down @ Xcalibur to go with the TMEC 200 enduro and now I have been reading posts on the Bashan GYs that have emerged favorably. I thought about the SSR with the XF clone engine, but there we are talking $3k I'm not quite sure what the allure is for me to want for a China bike.. Probably the fun/challenge of making something work better than originally intended or designed to. Whatever the reason, I am back in this

Old 01-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #60

$2400 for an XF is a fair price, but it's hard to argue with paying $1130 for a Honda clone. At that price, you could buy another one for parts.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer