Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

I'm Baaaaaaaack! with questions

Hell All! After lengthy absence and all sorts of life adventures, I'm back, with a renewed passion for getting my little Zong running. It's been garaged for about a year, and I've managed to acquire and install some new goodies, but I still have a long way to go.

I installed a new genuine Mikuni 30mm carb, but of course the stock air box doesn't fit. I would think a clamp on cone style air filter would be sufficient for street riding, but I'm worried about mud and puddles while trail riding. Right now I'm thinking about just modifying the factory box to accept the new carb. Thoughts?

I'm also still on the hunt for the proper length clutch cable. I have bought 3 so far that were either too short or too long. Does anyone know of a place that sells custom length clutch cables?

I'm going to replace all of the lights on the bike, and I have already sourced all of those, but the one issue that still vexes me is the wiring on this thing. I bought a key-matched gas cap and ignition switch set because I never had the original keys for the bike. After installing them, I found that the electric starter will work weather the key is on, off, or even out of the ignition alltogether. None of the lights or horn work and I have no spark. I plan to replace all the lights, but before I buy an ignition coil and CDI that I may not need, I want to make sure it's wired right - I also don't want to fry new components. Where do I start? does anyone know of a wiring diagram for these bikes?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

Be Dragonized!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

I could help answer, or steer you to an answer for your clutch cable question--1) Taobao although I have never ordered from there, but several people here have, and can guide you.

2) One of our independent motorsports repair businesses here in Yuma will make custom cables; doubt that they would mail order one to you, but my guess would be to call around to independent motorsports places around you to see who does it (I am guessing more than you know because I just found out the one place here does it a few months ago).

As far as parts and such--wait until you find out how to source things and purchase from Taobao because it might be more cost effective to order all at once.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #3

On the starter, I would guess either a pin is wrong on connector or you have a shorted wire.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure this is not a Zong in the traditional sense, ie Like Spud's Sierra.

If I'm right, you have a Honda clone, per your signature line. If that's true, the CDI is incorrect, which is likely why your starter works without the key.

Show us a pic of the clutch linkage on the engine, and we can recommend a cable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Thanks everyone!

Culcune; I have ordered indirectly from Taobao before. I never could get a browser to translate their website, so I used www.buychina.com. If you've never tried it, I recommend it. You pay a slightly higher price but everything is in English. It's a kind of buying agent for Taobao.

Weld; I think you are right, the bike is definitely a Honda clone. It has the Honda OHV engine clone with two-piece crankcase cover on the left side. It's a Zongshen engine model # ZS169FML. I don't have a pic of that side of the bike handy, but I will take one tonight and post it for you. I live in an apartment so the bike is stored and worked on at a Friend's shop.
As far as the CDI, it has a 2 piece, 6 pin connection. I do have pics of that if you need to see it. What is your take on the so-called "performance" CDI units I see for sale? Most of them simply say "performance upgrade" but don't list any specs. I did find one on ebay that claims to do away with rev limiter and modify the ignition curve for larger carburetors. The latter feature sounds appealing to me since I have installed the 30mm Mikuni carb, but is it necessary, and would I be better off with just a regular stock unit? They are about the same cost, and the "upgrade" unit is finned aluminum rather than plastic.
I have read much about the finicky nature of these CDI's, so I want to be sure I get a reliable one, and I plan to keep a spare on the bike at all times, as well as 2 spare spark plugs, plug wrench, feeler gauge, and tire plug kit.

Thanks again guys!

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Here is the CDI I was referring to on Ebay

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

None of the China CDI's are reliable, IMHO. Always have a spare one ready.

I have the same performance CDI on my quad, and it runs great. I didn't quantify the new one by itself, so I don't know what the actual gain is. As a system with a jetted 30mm Mikuni and a free-flowing exhaust, it's much better than it was.

More importantly, a different CDI might solve your ignition problems. I suspect that you'll find an alarm device under the seat, and it is probably tied into the CDI. When you change the CDI, unplug the alarm and see what happens.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

Thanks as always Weld. I recall reading a thread awhileback about those alarms. I never saw one on my bike, but I will take a closer look tonight. I'm going to order that CDI, I found it for sale with a "high performance" ignitionc coil for $19. I also found a 10-pack of NGK DE8a plugs for $12. I'll let you know how it goes when the parts come in.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

You're welcome.

If you don't have an alarm on your bike and it never came with one, perhaps you just have the wrong CDI. In either case, the performance CDI should solve it.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #10

the "performance cdi" performance gain is not that significant over the stock cdi, as long as the stock isn t rev limited, but the performance cdi has a nice flashing light :-)
the advance it provides MAY be more significant in a 50 cc motor...for your zongmotor, jetting the carbie right will make more of a difference.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Hahahaha!! That's kind of what I expected. Didn't know about the flashing light though, I'll have to add that to my signature when i get it put on. Thanks Zing.

Took some pics of the clutch linkage last night but I can't upload them via my work PC, I'll put some up tonight whenever I get home from work.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #12

JPG, I have a Vento which is the same as zongshen sierra and have the wiring diagram if you need it. I can post it on photobucket until next monday 'cause I'm out of town. Let me know if you want it or anyone with the same bike.

Cheers

Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #13

That would be very much appreciated sir, Thank You! I'm in no rush, please post it at your convenience.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #14

That is quite different from JPG's bike. The Vento / Zong Sierra are patterned after a Yamaha TW200.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #15

I think I'm starting to figure this out My bike is a Honda clone, while the sierra is a Yamaha clone. I had been referring to my bike as a Zong because it is manufactured by Zongshen, and branded/sold by UM(united motors). Now I will have to be more conscious of how I refer to it, if for no other reason than to avoid confusing others(and myself, lol).

As promised, here is a pic of the clutch linkage. I may or may not have had a few adult beverages when I took it, so the angle is probably not the best. I held the too-short clutch cable in place to show how it is routed. The factory cable has a longer threaded sleeve at the end than this one, and the inner cable is about 2-3" away from reaching the clutch arm.

I did manage to find a site that sells parts for my specific bike, the url is www.alpha-sports.com, they have a UM section, and a decent list of parts for the DS200, but the prices are substantially higher than almost every other seller I've looked at, they want $40 for the clutch cable But, it they're the only ones who have it, I guess any price is fair. Considering I've paid $4-6 for the other cables I've bought, I just have to believe that somewhere out there I can find the cable I need for a similar price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0988.jpg (90.3 KB, 95 views)

Be Dragonized!