Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2021, 04:43 AM   #1

Squeaky rear suspension (linkage?) after wet conditions riding

This spring my RX3 started to squeak when compressing rear suspension - even slightest compression, when mounting/dismounting for instance.

Had the rear linkage serviced this spring, the service claimed they disassembled the linkage, cleaned and greased it. It's been quiet for the past ~1500 miles, however it's been dry most of the time.

Yesterday I was riding some 20 miles in a wet conditions - the surface was wet, but no water puddles or water running down the street - nothing hardcore.
Today morning it's squeaky again ...

What should I do to prevent the problem?
don't want to disassemble the rear end after each ride in wet conditions, obviously

Old 07-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

Spray beko oil or beko grease, but not with increased adhesion on the o-ring in the middle of the shock absorber, if you have the motorcycle raised and the rear wheel is in the air stand behind the bike and grab the swingarm from both sides and move it to see what kind of play you have on the suspension in my case after 4 thousand was cruel, and the swingarm was not lubricated at all It cost me 450 zł of course on parts from China.Use belray Termalene EP Multipurpose Extreme Pressure Grease .

Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #3

It might be the linkage, but it's probably the swingarm bearings. My 2017 had ZERO grease in them from the factory, and it squeaka-squeaka-squeaka until I was almost insane. It's not too bad a fix, just remove the rear wheel and detach the caliper hose from the swingarm, remove the bolt for the linkage, and then the swingarm bolt. Lube and reinstall. While you're there check the lube on the linkage, but if you've had it serviced then likely it's fine.

Charles.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #4

I introduce improved the swingarm I gave 3 bearings and 4 seals per side instead of 2 bearing 2 seals and 1 spacer sleeves so that instead of a spacer, there is also 1 bearing and 2 seals

Old 07-21-2021, 12:26 AM   #5

Just got mine to stop squeaking! Drop some oil on the top shock mount bolt - this pivots. Mine was dry as a bone, even going through some pretty deeeep puddles on my last run. This didn't start happening until around 800mi. Same issue, mounting / dismounting was squeaking - and on the road. So annoying - so very glad I figured it out!

Hope this helps, man!

Old 07-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

As I recall, the shock has a bushing on the top mounting. Your oil might only be a temporary fix if that bushing is dry and the squeak was from the shock rotating on the bolt itself. A better solution is to remove that bolt and give it a good coating of grease before you reinstall it. Of course the best solution is to remove the shock from the bike and grease both bushings. It sounds like your shop just greased the linkage.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #7

I don't know about the shock upper, but the shock lower mount on the linkage is a needle bearing and bushing. If the upper mount is the same, it'll need to be disassembled and lubed.

However, the shock top eye is more likely a rubber bushing and possibly a metal bushing inside the rubber bushing. In either case spraying or oiling the rubber bushing will likely allow lube to seep under and inside it to some degree. Removing the bolt and the bushing and lubing the bushing (or bolt) is the better way to go, as that way you've got actual moly grease in there. But the amount of movement from the top of the shock is minimal compared to the bottom, and a spray job will likely be fine for a time.

For the lower linkage and swingarm, no amount of external lubrication will help. Nor will lubricating the bolts. The bearings have to be lubed.

Charles.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #8

Not really a rotating motion - shouldn't rotate at all. Maybe the loose bolt - if so. Might pivot a very small bit; plus with the weight pushing against the assembly, anything in there for lubricant is going to be pushed out eventually.

It could be anything causing the squeak, even a low weight lubricant - keyboard exchange doesn't provide a high level of detail sometimes to really dive into the technical aspect as disassembling.

Mikegolf: How many miles are you on; have you had the suspension at all serviced besides the linkage? I'm just willing to bet there's a dry spot that was found after movement that settled into a squeak.. Just me!

Old 07-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Hi and thank you all for the responses. Haven't looked into this yet, very little time recently ...
The bike is ~5600 miles and as far as I know it haven't had any major suspension service except for the linkage disassembly I mentioned earlier.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegolf View Post
Hi and thank you all for the responses. Haven't looked into this yet, very little time recently ...
The bike is ~5600 miles and as far as I know it haven't had any major suspension service except for the linkage disassembly I mentioned earlier.
Gotcha - that gives a little more light on the subject lol I kinda doubt that it's anything needing to disassemble to resolve; and doubt anything linkage related since you just had it serviced.. I just put a drop on either side of the top shock mount, squeak went away! Still going strong no squeaks! I mean, you could drop the suspension and remove the shock; but if it's not making any sounds other than the squeak when you're working the suspension up and down, or feel like it has play in it - I'd just drop some oil on the top bolt for the shock and see. If it doesn't, absolutely no big deal - at least it wont be affected by moisture! But, I'm going off the statement you don't want to disassemble anything - I don't blame you at all for that. I consider adjusting the chain is a PITA myself - but only had to do it once after the new chain lol My top shock mount is right below the seat, took about 3min to remove and put two drops on top. Good luck, man!