Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

Turn signal indicator upgrade

I like my RX3 but I really dislike that it’s so hard to see the turn signal indicator lamp on the control panel when it’s activated. Twice last year I thought it was canceled after I canceled it and I almost met my maker when the car at the intersection thought I was going to turn..... so no more of that!!
Took two automotive “ pennie lights “ in amber ( round marker led lamps) and wired them into the turn signals wires. Simple bracket and voila. Works like a charm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52482BFB-31EF-4A51-844D-FD478FADD9BB.jpg (14.7 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg FADDC6F0-2D2D-4897-9A81-90A20542E221.jpg (16.9 KB, 695 views)
1987 the original TW200

Old 02-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my RX3. Definitely one of their weak points. I also plan a louder horn upgrade. Do you have a link to your lights?

Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

You can make all the indicator lights brighter by removing the plastic mask. That mask has the symbols for what the lights are telling you. No mask and you just have colored lights and they are much brighter. It is simple enough to know that the blinking yellow is turn signal, solid red is oil pressure, solid orange is low fuel and blue is high beam.

To get to the mask you have to remove the instrument cluster, take the back off the cluster, unclip the mask, and reassemble.

Someone posted a much better description of this job but I have not found the link.

Peter Y.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my RX3. Definitely one of their weak points. I also plan a louder horn upgrade. Do you have a link to your lights?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ht/A-p8499246e

This store is kind of the Canadian version of Harbor freight.

It is a simple upgrade as all I did was remove the two head lamp bezel screws and there is the turn signal wires ( green wire is ground - ) . I did not cut any wires, all I did was bare them back and insert them into the plugs as I pushed them back together. Then I taped it up nicely. As for mounting all I did was take a insulated wire loom and reshape it over a 10mm deep socket to make a good fit of the lamp and drilled a new 1/4 hole for the mounting bolt. I did use longer 6mm cap screws with washers and a nyloc nut.
1987 the original TW200

Old 02-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #5

I have the RX4 with the same display. The turn signal indicators are much brighter than what is on my old RX3. I wonder if the newer RX3 also has brighter indicator lights like my new RX4 has. Anybody knows?

Old 02-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
You can make all the indicator lights brighter by removing the plastic mask. That mask has the symbols for what the lights are telling you. No mask and you just have colored lights and they are much brighter. It is simple enough to know that the blinking yellow is turn signal, solid red is oil pressure, solid orange is low fuel and blue is high beam.

To get to the mask you have to remove the instrument cluster, take the back off the cluster, unclip the mask, and reassemble.

Someone posted a much better description of this job but I have not found the link.

Peter Y.
heres the link about taking mask off. Down page around #189
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=mask&page=13

Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #7

Maybe it's just me, but I can see my turn signals flashing. I have a 2019 RX3 with factory LED's. The signal itself is super bright, even in direct sunlight, and I can easily see them out of my peripheral vision.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

I can sometimes see the signal itself, depending on how I'm sitting and how my helmet is positioned. But not all the time. And I tend to vary my seating position otherwise my sketchy lower back will get bound up and painful.

I'm thinking about just adding a single light right at the top center. I don't need to know which signal is on, just that one is on.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #9

I can see the light

When the indicators are operating I can see the orange light on the top edge of the indicator lens quite clearly, even in full sunlight.
The only time I've ever seen the telltale on the instruments is at night.