Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Drilling new rear shock mounting holes worked.
The linkage adapts to shock length, but note that it appears to be linear.
More info here.
https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...t=31439&page=4
I will post photos of finished height once I finish the other work I am doing on the carb and wiring. Work is LOOMING since it is Monday. Crap.

Attachment 28163
Looks great!
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 12-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
2182 for the 21”. Mine is the same way.
ETA-Just verified the speedometer/odometer at 2182.
The odometer was really close. Out here all the roads are set up on a huge grid in 1 mile blocks, and from intersection to intersection it was damned close, within a few hundred feet.
According to gps speedo is still 2-3mph off.
I could use a little guidance... Mine is set to 2182, but my MPH is way off. Just used GPS and at 25MPH, the speedometer is only showing 9MPH.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
It does need a lower gear, Im thinking 44 to start off with but for training my son to ride the low gear is perfect.

Looking for a little help with the speedo setup, base Templar non X model. It only has a single button and pgm mode only has three circumference settings: 2182, 1795 & 1522. Can’t remember where but 2114 was the number for the 21 front. The unit appears to be a SHKALACAR https://www.amazon.com/Shkalacar-Mot...sal-Tachometer

Carb is spot on, thanks again Thumper. The front forks are as soft as me, easily bottoming on a 2 foot ledge with a wheelie to level. Swapped the fork oil today, old stuff was a little dark, right around 270cc on each tube. I added 325cc of 15w-Maxima and it’s better, but it’ll still bottom off a small jump and I’m 170 pounds.

So far I’m impressed with the little thing, the motor is great. I set both valves set to .08 for break in and it’s quiet. Did my three hot & cold cycles and beat the snot out of it, runs quiet and has more torque than I expected. 62 miles so far with the incorrect Speedo…
I LOST TRACK of the instructions on how to switch between kph and mph. Was it hold button and switch on?
Also, how do you select the 21" wheel code?

By the way... I am going to crank up the rear shock preload and give this 4" lowering a whirl. It is reversible (just mount back to OEM slot!), so no harm in trying. And I am unfortunately approaching geriatric joints and tendon strength, so no big whoops and jumps for me
Lots of fun to be had without getting too airborn

Old 12-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I LOST TRACK of the instructions on how to switch between kph and mph. Was it hold button and switch on?
Also, how do you select the 21" wheel code?
With the speedometer on the odometer screen, press the button to switch from KPH to MPH.

To select the wheel code/circumference, turn off the key, hold down button while turning the key back on. I can then choose from 3 preset numbers...

The attached image is what I thought were the instructions, but mine does not work like this or I cannot figure it out. The only part that works is the beginning 'Enter to setting mode:'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Speedometer.jpeg (95.9 KB, 126 views)

Old 12-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #935

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knwilson View Post
With the speedometer on the odometer screen, press the button to switch from KPH to MPH.

To select the wheel code/circumference, turn off the key, hold down button while turning the key back on. I can then choose from 3 preset numbers...

The attached image is what I thought were the instructions, but mine does not work like this or I cannot figure it out. The only part that works is the beginning 'Enter to setting mode:'...

Old 12-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #936

I have some Chinese-English instructions I found on AliExpress that is different but the image of the digital dash they were selling was the same. It may have some additional details that might help program these dash units.

Excuse the images, I figure folks want the full resolution images to see details properly so I have included those in the zip file along with Autodesk drawing and Connector photos and Wire Connection Specifications. The text is actually just image files so I couldn't do a simple copy/paste here.

File ZIP Archive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lMm...usp=share_link

Name:  UniversalDashFunctionDescription01.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  115.0 KB
Name:  UniversalDashFunctionDescription02.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  124.0 KB
Name:  UniversalDashFunctionDescription03.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  24.6 KB

Edit: I found a foreign language youtube video of someone ordering and wiring one of these into their quad bike. Linking this as well. The time queue feature is not working with the forum so you will have to manually fast forwad the video to where the setup starts. Around 6 minutes and 10 seconds into the video.

Also find this Italian video. This one seems to have instructions that match the documents I have in the zip file.

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Last edited by Texas Pete; 12-23-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:23 PM   #937

NICE Pete. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #938

These universal digital dash motorcycle units all look the same but I have found a third variation. This video is in Portuguese so you need to set YouTube video settings to auto-translate to English so you can read the text while the person speaks Portuguese. I hope there aren't more variations. One of these videos should match.

- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 12-25-2022, 12:09 AM   #939

And it's neither! It seems to be a fourth variant. It's as if one company made the universal dash shell and every other company made the electronics inside to run it and tossed it to the market as their product.

I went to the garage and gave myself a few minutes before the cold seeped through me to play with entering setup mode. It's simply hold the button down with key off and turn the key to on while holding the button down. My dash had a large number and four smaller numbers. The large number was not changeable. Clicking the button clicked through about three preset settings in millimeters for the four numbers section of the display and a very short timer of no button presses switched the display back to the normal dash mode from setup mode.

So the bottom line if I want to fine tune the millimeters to dial in an accurate speed reading I buy one of the three universal dash units in the three videos above. I have not tested my dash against gps to see how far off the displayed speed is. How much the speed is off from actual speed would likely influence any decision to get a new dash or just live with it.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 12-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
And it's neither! It seems to be a fourth variant. It's as if one company made the universal dash shell and every other company made the electronics inside to run it and tossed it to the market as their product.

I went to the garage and gave myself a few minutes before the cold seeped through me to play with entering setup mode. It's simply hold the button down with key off and turn the key to on while holding the button down. My dash had a large number and four smaller numbers. The large number was not changeable. Clicking the button clicked through about three preset settings in millimeters for the four numbers section of the display and a very short timer of no button presses switched the display back to the normal dash mode from setup mode.

So the bottom line if I want to fine tune the millimeters to dial in an accurate speed reading I buy one of the three universal dash units in the three videos above. I have not tested my dash against gps to see how far off the displayed speed is. How much the speed is off from actual speed would likely influence any decision to get a new dash or just live with it.
My Speedo is about 3 mph faster than gps speed.
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 12-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #941

Busted the Templar out for a quick ride today.
Last week I had trouble starting the motor when she was hot, so I checked the valves and yup, almost no clearance.
I set both valves to .002/.05mm per Mr Henners advice. I was very generous with it when I set them so no doubt they’re a bit looser than that.
Holy cow, thing sounds like an old XR250. Starts much easier now, in all conditions, and still tops out at 67mph with my 230lb butt in the seat.
Slappy valves are happy valves, right? Lol.

/\ is about what mine sounds like now, valves may even be a bit louder than that.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Last edited by Okierider; 12-29-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #942

Choke lever for easy start.

Last edited by Twowheeler; 03-29-2023 at 07:50 PM.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:25 AM   #943

Received my Templar X two days before Christmas. It arrived missing the headlight assembly but I contacted Zora from support and she was able to get a replacement ordered. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear disc guard as well as the type of oil filter for the Templar X? I’m ordering a few parts while I wait for the headlight assembly to arrive, already have a nibbi carb and jet kit coming. Thanks in advance
SecretSquirrel

Old 12-30-2022, 03:58 AM   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Received my Templar X two days before Christmas. It arrived missing the headlight assembly but I contacted Zora from support and she was able to get a replacement ordered. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear disc guard as well as the type of oil filter for the Templar X? I’m ordering a few parts while I wait for the headlight assembly to arrive, already have a nibbi carb and jet kit coming. Thanks in advance
SecretSquirrel
Just curious if other bikes from them arrive missing parts like this. Also, what are you guys going to do when the war makes getting parts for your little russian bikes impossible? a heavy duty paperweight is just that..a heavy duty paper weight. Slava Ukraine!

Old 12-30-2022, 05:06 AM   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
SecretSquirrel

The filter is a metal strainer. No need to replace it. Just clean the metal flakes from it and put it back in.

Can I have your OEM carb?