Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Mt Lemon

I took the Bashan out yesterday for a fairly decent ride. After ordering up my new Voyager (speedo/gps combo) dash, I headed for the hills. It was fairly warm in town and I was not wearing any heavy gear.

Before I headed up, I topped off at Chevron. It took 2 gallons so my first tank was about 72 mpg.

I wanted to see how much power and how well the bike handle the twisties and elevation.

As mentioned by another Bashan owner, the speedo is off, and by alot if you ask me. Probably my biggest gripe about the bike, geared too low. Winding out in top gear and still being passed by the 45 mph traffic and speedo reading 55.

Yes, putting a real speedo on should be nice.

I just pulled off to the side of the road for this, and framed it to look like I was totally off road

That photo was early on, elevation and temps had not changed much. As I went on, I just really enjoyed the bike and handling. Some of it may be that the odo is so far off, but I let a new Challenger go ahead of me thinking I was going to be holding him up. I was wrong. I wish I knew my actual speed, but the odo said I was doing 55, uphill through the twisties marked for 25 MPH.

I was in top gear and the bike had plenty power, and did not have to downshift unless I wanted to slow down. I stayed right on the Challengers tail. I think it must have been a new car and they were chicken to open it up. Either that, or this bike is insanely easy to ride in the twisties. When I say top gear, I mean fifth and I already added a 17 tooth front sprocket. I should be getting my 45t rear today. stock ratio is 16/50. I will put the 16 back on and run the 45 which should be about perfect. Then buy a 15t to swap out if needed.

Posing for a photo op

Farther up the hill, it just kept running like a charm. As the elevation changed it started getting colder and I was not dressed for the ride. I eventually turned around before I hit the top. Next trip I'll go up and over. There is a dirt (service) road going down the backside which is fun to go up from the other way in.

All in all just a fun short ride. Bike performed better than I thought a 250 would. And here is the fun trivia. The Chevron gas seemed to make this thing run way better, with more power. As I got back into town, taking off at the lights seemed effortless, just pulled much better. I don't know if that was the newness wearing in, or the fuel, same octane, but I suspect it was the fuel.

Side note:
Stock tires seem to be good. It took a little to break them in, but they seem to stick well and not squirmy at all. First impression is they will wear well with time, as the casting nubs are still in tact on the front after a tank of fuel, rear nubs are gone. But spinning in gravel and rocks might have something to do with that. The grip in the dirt is not as good as the Maxxis, but acceptable for now.

Only the good stuff from now on.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

Which grade of fuel did you buy at Chevron?

Thanks for the ride report. It looks like it was a great day, despite the lower temps at higher elevations.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

87 on the rm+2 method. I think the circle K uses ethanol 10% or more.

Hey, in Tucson, most of our days are like this, but in summer, you cook before you get to elevation. I didn't install the rack, so I didn't carry my jacket and water etc.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

Nice bike and pics. Looks like a lot of fun. Wish I had that weather right now. lol

Old 04-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #5

I live in Phoenix and have ridden Mt. Lemmon many times and never knew there was a back road down. Could you post some more info about the road, is it all gravel, hard pack, any paved, etc? Thanks.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
I live in Phoenix and have ridden Mt. Lemmon many times and never knew there was a back road down. Could you post some more info about the road, is it all gravel, hard pack, any paved, etc? Thanks.
Seems to be a favorite. Most folks like coming in from Oracle and heading up. A car can drive the road, switchbacks, rocks etc, nothing real technical. The stretch from oracle to the base of the mountain is boring and bumpy. You might have fun going down then back up.

On the way in from Oracle, you can stop at PepperSauce Cave. It's huge and free. Bring backup lighting, as you could get lost for days in there. It's not maintained really.

But the service road could be done on a street bike I suppose, I have seen 2 up on bigger beemers do it. The smaller bikes haul tail up for fun. Quad etc, can be dangerous due to idiots on weekends.

For those not familiar with Tucson, this next pic is taken from "A" mountain (Tucson), looking sortof Noreast. MT Lemmon is in the range in the background toward the middle top somewhere.

Once you go up and over that range, you will get to this spot below. If you follow that dirt road in the picture, I think it goes to Globe. There are various other roads that can connect up and get you to Oracle as well.

One thing is that you will be going past the Biosphere 2. Spend the $13 and go take the tour. Make sure you go into the basement both for the environmental gear and the other section where you can look into the ocean from the glass windows.

I plan on taking the Bashan up and over fairly soon, and will get more photos. This one is from awhile back with my Husky TR650. Just not as fun on the back roads as my DR200 was, and this Bashan seems even better than the DR.

This photo is just a section of the switchbacks coming down. Standard loose rocks and ruts, tight switchbacks, fairly rough in the corners.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

Thanks Mag, much appreciated. I've added this to my bucket list of rides.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Thanks for posting the nice ride report, and the excellent photographs.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

Bikes been sitting for a while, but got out today. Took the Bashan on some off roading to see what would happen. I had installed Protaper Fatbars and needed to see what difference it would make.

First off, on the city streets it rides well, slow cornering a dream. Today was over 100ยบ so I put on the camel back and headed up into the hills for some heat relief. Well, never really got any relief.

On the first part of Reddington Road, it is fairly rough, but not technical, heck cars drive it. The bike rode like a haywagon. I just had to grampa it along. Then I took a less traveled path farther in, and that was fun.

The stock tires impressed me, with the amount of grab. Rocks, sand, etc., more like trials riding and the little 250 chugged along in first just fine. I stalled it once, lol, I should have chosen a different line, but committed and almost made it. It was a trench on the uphill that was just big enough for the full front wheel. Couldn't skip over it, and choked the bike out trying to crawl it. Thank goodness for electric start.

Never bottomed out, and in the more slow technical stuff the suspension was great.

My arms are sore, back feels good, so the ride was strenuous, but not brutal. (except the heat).

So the bad, on the way back through town, the throttle started to stick open. 8 miles of traffic lights and revving through the shifts (power shifting at times). Quick blip of the throttle and it would settle down. Going to have to pull it apart and clean and lube etc.

Didn't get much for pictures, I was having fun and challenged good. This thing did better than my DR200. I went up and through stuff I would never dream of taking my Husky TR650. Kindof surprised myself actually. The bike fits me good. The 19" front is just fine

Be a Piggy!

Old 06-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #10

That sounds like a fun ride.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

Excellent ride report. Thanks!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Actually, other than the heat, quite fun. And a little sweat never hurt anybody, but cardinal rule, drink lots of water, carry lots of water. Feel pretty good today. Maybe I'll go for another run Friday morning. I still need to finish the Mt. Lemon run

A couple local guys planning the full run, but on bigger faster bikes, so not sure I would take the Bashan.

I pulled the slider out of the carb to check it and it is like carbon fiber or something similar material. The cable had a pinch in it, must have been from assembly or shipping, as where the problem is, there is no way to pinch it there.

I may need to hunt down a new cable. Where is the most reasonable place to buy the cable?

Protaper handlebars and clamps. Work like a champ. A little wider, and a little taller, less pullback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08572.JPG (60.3 KB, 208 views)
Be a Piggy!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #13

Nice bars. eBay is your friend for the throttle cable; just measure it first.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:27 AM   #14

looks like the bars are the metal mulisha series!! very nice!!

Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeredith0015 View Post
looks like the bars are the metal mulisha series!! very nice!!
Yes they are, Thanks. I never knew what Metal Mulisha was until I saw them perform on AGT, way cool.
Be a Piggy!