Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Zongshen RX3: My First Excursion in the Dirt

Yesterday I took my new Zongshen RX3 for a 131-mile ride to experience it's first excursion in the dirt. It was a cloudy day which threatened to rain, but I made it home without getting wet.

The day started out fairly warm, but I knew it would be colder when I was returning. Therefore, I was going to carry my heated jacket on the luggage rack with bungee cords. However, I decided to install the stock trunk instead. The stock trunk is very light, and is great for carrying extra jackets, rain gear, cameras, et cetera, in a secure, waterproof enclosure. My jacket, as well as my camera and extra batteries were easily accessible, and my jacket was much more secure inside the travel trunk, rather than being attached to the luggage rack with bungee cords.

The RX3 did a good job in the dirt. The bike was only limited in the dusty soil by the stock tires, which still performed adequately. The forks definitely need heavier oil for a stiffer rebound damping. I hope CSC will be stocking the upgraded forks, which feature rebound damping adjustment. In the meanwhile, I will be swapping the stock fork oil with ATF in the next few days.

Incidentally, the trucking company performed some cosmetic damage to the muffler heat shield and right passenger foot peg on my RX3 during its transit to Idaho. I reported the damage to the shipper and to Steve at CSC. Fortunately, the bike runs great, and I am content to await the settlement and replacement parts.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 04-23-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

Stunning photos Spud,

Seriously jealous of the great landscape you get to ride.

Not much of this kind of thing around here. I guess with the UK probably being small enough to fit into your back garden it's no wonder

Looking forward to reading your updates

Sucks about the transit damage, at least its only cosmetic and you can still ride

Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Stunning photos Spud,

Seriously jealous of the great landscape you get to ride.

Not much of this kind of thing around here. I guess with the UK probably being small enough to fit into your back garden it's no wonder

Looking forward to reading your updates

Sucks about the transit damage, at least its only cosmetic and you can still ride
Thank you, Kat. All is well; CSC is shipping me a new heat shield and foot peg today.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Is the trunk a bolt-on deal, or is it a quick-release, like a Givi?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Is the trunk a bolt-on deal, or is it a quick-release, like a Givi?
The stock trunk quickly attaches, and detaches via three, Allen head bolts. Therefore, I can easily remove the travel trunk in a minute or so. I plan to install the mount for my JC Whitney Travel Trunk using the same three bolts. Therefore, I can quickly switch between the two trunks.

The stock trunk is very light, and offers much more protection and security for its contents than a luggage rack. The JC Whitney Travel Trunk is much heavier, but it offers much more storage for trips, has a handle, and is easily removed for transport into a motel room, tent, et cetera.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The forks definitely need heavier oil for a stiffer rebound damping. I hope CSC will be stocking the upgraded forks, which feature rebound damping adjustment. In the meanwhile, I will be swapping the stock fork oil with ATF in the next few days.
How do the RX3 fork dimensions compare with your Sierra? Would they slide right into the triples? What is the OD and length?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
How do the RX3 fork dimensions compare with your Sierra? Would they slide right into the triples? What is the OD and length?
Needless to say, I have been preoccupied with assembling, riding, and enjoying my new RX3. However, I will soon measure the forks, and I will also post more information regarding the sprockets.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #8

Gosh you have some lovely scenery to ride!
Keep meaning to make it up to Idaho to explore.

Looking forward to reading about your upgrades and mods I foresee asking many questions and learning lots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post

Incidentally, the trunking company performed some cosmetic damage to the muffler heat shield and right passenger foot peg on my RX3 during its transit to Idaho. I reported the damage to the shipper and to Steve at CSC.
Was there visible damage to the boxes when they were delivered? they must have really munged the boxes to manage to scuff the bike like that inside!!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Gosh you have some lovely scenery to ride!
Keep meaning to make it up to Idaho to explore.

Looking forward to reading about your upgrades and mods I foresee asking many questions and learning lots!

Was there visible damage to the boxes when they were delivered? they must have really munged the boxes to manage to scuff the bike like that inside!!
Thank you. I have several tips regarding the assembly of the bike, which I will soon post. We are glad you joined us, and we are happy to answer your questions.

It is very easy to inspect the shipping container for damage. If the cardboard is broken, the contents are possibly damaged. I quickly saw pretty extensive damage to the cardboard on the right side of the shipping crate. The shipping companies are frequently in a rush to move cargo, and they damage items in their haste. Fortunately, these shipping crates are very strong, and the damage was both minor, and cosmetic.

CSC is shipping me a new heat shield and foot peg, today.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

I can't wait to look at the pics at home on my computer, cell phones just don't do the mountains justice! Bike looks fantastic Spud, I still say orange is the most photogenic!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #11

Thank you, Stew.

As everyone knows, orange is the most attractive, fastest, and most dirt-worthy color.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #12

Thanks for the ride report and photos Spud, most informative. I spent about a year and a half in Boise on a project and got to sample much of your tarmac, but none of the dirt (at least not on a bike). Although I have owned 2 KLR650's in the past, my dirt riding skills are limited, but I did take the RX-3 out yesterday on some dirt and was very pleased. Now I need more practice and then return to ID and explore some more.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Last edited by AZRider; 04-24-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #13

I'll say it again--this totally reminds me of your first reports on the Sierra after buying it in a crate for $950 and assembling it!

It is like Sierra 2.0 or Sierra Part II, Sierra Remix...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

...and it's even orange!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

Idaho is gorgeous, before Spud's reports I never had any idea it looked like that . I'm anxious to see how long it takes to wear those stock tires out and see what knobbies are chosen for it next!