Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #1

Head Scratching CDI frying stators ???

hi guys i am new to this forum and new to these chinese engines. i have a zhejiang kandi 110cc go kart i bought for my kids it had electrical issues from the beginning (bought it used as a project) the stator was obviously fried when i bought it (windings were cooked) so i got a new one on amazon installed it and worked for about 20 mins and the new one desoldered the wires causing it to lose spark. i thought ok just bad quality control i was able to resolder the wires and it was good again for another 30-40 minute run, this time the new stator windings were discolored and shorted again. so i got another new stator installed it along with a new voltage regulator and again after a 20 minute run it lost spark but when i took it apart and checked the stator this time it looks fine and Ohms out ok so can the CDI be cooking these stators?

Old 10-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #2

Hmmm...it's doubtful that the CDI is causing the problem, they either work or they don't. I'd start by looking for a source of high resistance, such as a short in the wiring. You mentioned this was a project when you bought it so it's possible the PO did some unseen handiwork.

If you haven't already done so, unplug the harnesses and go through each wire with a VOM, checking first that there is continuity on each wire between the plugs, then checking again for continuity between each wire and the chassis. There should not be continuity between wires and the chassis, EXCEPT for the chassis ground wires. If you disconnect the chassis grounds and still have continuity on that wire, you've found the circuit with the short.

I feel your pain. I went through something similar on an old hacked up Honda project I rescued a decade, or so, ago.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts