Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

American Lifan into Ontario

Hi All, this site has been extremely informative for someone who is looking at importing a bike from the US

I want to buy an AF200GY5, but dont want to pay 3 grand that Canadian dealers are asking for.

If I understand properly, I can import this as an off road bike as long as the dealer provides the recall letter, and off road sticker and I follow the proper customs process.

Then, when into canada, I can apply for street certification, get it checked at Canadian Tire and I'm on my way?

BTW - any AF dealers in the Niagara / Buffalo area?

Cheers,

Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

yeah pretty much, except you have to get it inspected at Canadian Tire then you can register it.....I am getting mine inspected this Saturday, Im pretty sure all they are looking for is Reflectors, and the off-road label....then RIV Canada mails I believe a CMVSS Label ......then you can get a safety an register for road use......
Keep in mind the RIV and customs fees can cost about $400 and if you are having freight shipped that can be up to $700, so far Ive spent about $2300 or $2400 on my bike, that includes street tires!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

I have said it before, and now that the "season" is ending and the "snowbirds" are migrating back to the northern US and Canada, you Canadians should have someone with extra space pick you up a bike. However, not knowing the importing side of things, don't know if it would be good to have a bike on hand in your possession before Candian customs looks at it, versus having a store ship one up and held up at customs, like the "proper" way?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #4

Yeah that would be cool....but if your importing U.S. and Canada customs eventually have to inspect it and the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles has to as well, otherwise they will make you send it back or charge you with an offence or both......

Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Yeah that would be cool....but if your importing U.S. and Canada customs eventually have to inspect it and the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles has to as well, otherwise they will make you send it back or charge you with an offence or both......
If you're picking up the bike in the US yourself the only additional fees you should have to pay are the GST (5%) and the import fee (~$190). Of course you still have to pay for the inspection at CT.

If you have it shipped through a broker it will probably cost you a fortune.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

[quote="frostbite"]

If you're picking up the bike in the US yourself [quote]

Does it have to be yourself? Or can "a friend" pick one up for you (i.e. proverbial returning snowbird)?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #7

Not sure exactly about picking up the bike yourself, just make sure you have a recall clearance letter and that a computer printed off-road use label is on at least the gas tank, and sorry I forgot to mention the title has to travel with the bike so it has to be prepared for you when you pick-up the bike, this information regarding the export must be submitted to U.S. Customs 72 hours before leaving the country, so the info must be faxed to the port of crossing, make sure they give you the go ahead, call them. At the Canadian border they will be checking the title, bill of sale, this also must be submitted and you have to have it at the border, and they will look for the off-road label as well as the VIN#, I think it usually takes about an hour, depending on the location, they will then issue you a form 1... I had mine done in Oshawa where it is a bit faster because there are fewer vehicles crossing, again make sure you notify Canada Border at port of entry, to speed things up......good news the first Canadian Tire inspection is free, they will be looking for that off-road label, so dont remove it, and that all lights and retroreflective devices meet standard 108, for a restricted use motorcycle, I believe it only requires reflectors!.. if you pass you dont have to pay for a second, it is a tricky situation this importing but like with anything there are risks!!

Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #8

Perhaps the returning snowbird "flock" could drop the bikes off just over the border in the US, and you come down and pick it up....you know I'm on to something!! 8)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150