Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #16

The efi kit is noe completely installed, but it doesn't want to run yet. The ecu is not seeing a crank trigger, so I will diag that this week. I would habe done it over the weekend but I had to pickup the drift car from the shop. Anyway heres what I did..

Intake rotator installed

I removed the charcoal canister to install the high pressure fuel pump

The new cdi box installed where the stock one went

My fuel feed line. I added a shutoff valve and high flowing cleanable filter on the inlet

I attached the ecu under the gas tank with a few zip ties

Fuel return line

Intake manifold amd throttle body installed. The fuel line is very close to the starter so I will but something between them to minimize the chance of chafing.

Exhaust and oxygen sensor installed

And it looks like I can still use the stock airbox!

More to come
16 SSR SR125: PZ26, New Racing CDI, Blue plastics, LED headlight

Street:
16 Boom Vader 125: Microsquirt EFI conversion, HID/LED headlights, 17T front sprocket, O-Ringed Gold chain, adjustable rear damper, The DD

Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #17

I just verified on lunch that the ECU is getting a proper crank signal, but for some reason it is not registering any RPM. I plugged in the stock CDI and gave it a spray of starting fluid and it fires right up. Still haven't figured out what is going wrong here. I am starting to suspect a faulty ECU but we will see.

Street:
16 Boom Vader 125: Microsquirt EFI conversion, HID/LED headlights, 17T front sprocket, O-Ringed Gold chain, adjustable rear damper, The DD

Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #18

Hope you get it figured out. I really want to see how this works out. I like to see how much more power EFI has over the Carburetor.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

It runs! Turns out i had a bad connection on the crank trigger. Also, my return lime seems to have a blockage and isnt returning fuel to the tank. Either way, she lives! More to come soon

Street:

Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #20

Now waiting for results.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #21

Shot a quick video of startup and idle. This was after about 5 minutes of tweaking the tune

Street:

Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 AM   #22

Sweet So does the ECU come with a good base tune to start with? I wonder if there is a way to install a knock sensor so you could tune for max timing? Would that tuning program have the capability to monitor knock?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Sweet So does the ECU come with a good base tune to start with? I wonder if there is a way to install a knock sensor so you could tune for max timing? Would that tuning program have the capability to monitor knock?
The basemap is ok. It is not ideal for a 125cc engine as I think it was originally designed for 50cc engines. I ended up using the megasquirt basemap generator online for my VE and ignition tables. As for knock, you would need a genuine ms3 to do it right. I am running a ms3x with the dual knock board in my drift car and it works great. Problem is a ms3x would be way overkill for a single cylinder engine and would add about $600 to the cost. I plan on just slowing turning up the timing until I can hear knock, then back it off like 2 degrees. The great thing about these chineese bikes is everything is dirt cheap, so if I kill a piston its only like $30 and a few hours time.

Street:

Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas@Air_Lift View Post
The basemap is ok. It is not ideal for a 125cc engine as I think it was originally designed for 50cc engines. I ended up using the megasquirt basemap generator online for my VE and ignition tables. As for knock, you would need a genuine ms3 to do it right. I am running a ms3x with the dual knock board in my drift car and it works great. Problem is a ms3x would be way overkill for a single cylinder engine and would add about $600 to the cost. I plan on just slowing turning up the timing until I can hear knock, then back it off like 2 degrees. The great thing about these chineese bikes is everything is dirt cheap, so if I kill a piston its only like $30 and a few hours time.
Thanks for the info. $600 would be more than half the cost of the bike lol. With HPtuners It was so nice to be able to log a few runs and go back in adjust the timing where there was knock. So for a 230cc engine i'll need to use the megasquirt basemap generator before I even think about starting the engine. Did you take it out for a run yet?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #25

This is great! Will you be publishing the base map? Also, I understand you're using the original evap line as the fuel return. Is there any concern over negative pressure in the tank, or is it vented some other way?

On some other forums there have been incidents where negative pressure in the gas tank is not released (due to a crimped line or other issue) and it causes a "dent" in the gas tank from the suction.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the info. $600 would be more than half the cost of the bike lol. With HPtuners It was so nice to be able to log a few runs and go back in adjust the timing where there was knock. So for a 230cc engine i'll need to use the megasquirt basemap generator before I even think about starting the engine. Did you take it out for a run yet?
Haha yeah that is why I went with this $250 kit! I agree that a well tuned knock sensor makes ignition tuning much much easier, but remember that an analog cdi and a carb will have no where near the tuneablity of an EFI system. And with the engine between your legs, you will hear knock if it is happening.

Yes I would generate new VE and ignition table before attempting to start. I'm going to say that it is a bitch, because the included EFI Tune software does not let you import tables directly from the generator, so you will have to punch the values in one by one. I opened tunerstudio, transferred my table to a test tune, then opened the maps side by side and started typing.

Street:

Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rys View Post
This is great! Will you be publishing the base map? Also, I understand you're using the original evap line as the fuel return. Is there any concern over negative pressure in the tank, or is it vented some other way?

On some other forums there have been incidents where negative pressure in the gas tank is not released (due to a crimped line or other issue) and it causes a "dent" in the gas tank from the suction.
So it was my initial plan to use the EVAP line for a return, but my line has a blockage somewhere so it currently isn't being used. I am going to redo my return line how JerryHawk suggested, and fix the evap line so it is still a vent.

Street:

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #28

So also a quick update. I revised my basemap and now the bike runs awesome! I have not taken it for a ride yet as I need to redo my return line, make a new throttle cable and put all the plastics back on. Oh yeah, and Boom still hasn't sent me my damn MCO title! I also found a huge vacuum leak at the intake manifold that needs to be fixed. I am hoping to ride it around the neighborhood this weekend.

Street:

Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas@Air_Lift View Post
Haha yeah that is why I went with this $250 kit! I agree that a well tuned knock sensor makes ignition tuning much much easier, but remember that an analog cdi and a carb will have no where near the tuneablity of an EFI system. And with the engine between your legs, you will hear knock if it is happening.

Yes I would generate new VE and ignition table before attempting to start. I'm going to say that it is a bitch, because the included EFI Tune software does not let you import tables directly from the generator, so you will have to punch the values in one by one. I opened tunerstudio, transferred my table to a test tune, then opened the maps side by side and started typing.
I agree about the EFI tuning. That why when I saw your post I was all over this. When I first started tuning force induction engines I didn't have a base tune to start with so I did a lot of logging and adjusting until I got it right. after the first one I had a good base tune to start with. I'm really interested in getting this for my hawk and start playing with it. I have to save up some more Hawk budget money but by the time I do it i'll pretty much have it built in my head on how i'm going to do it. Does the software that comes with the kit have the capability to log? Is there a link to where I can download the software to look at it?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #30

Quote:
I agree about the EFI tuning. That why when I saw your post I was all over this. When I first started tuning force induction engines I didn't have a base tune to start with so I did a lot of logging and adjusting until I got it right. after the first one I had a good base tune to start with. I'm really interested in getting this for my hawk and start playing with it. I have to save up some more Hawk budget money but by the time I do it i'll pretty much have it built in my head on how i'm going to do it. Does the software that comes with the kit have the capability to log? Is there a link to where I can download the software to look at it?
Yep the software has datalogging and autotune capabilities. Here is a link to the software. It will run slow as all hell until you go to File and click Offline.
http://www.motoefi.com/EFI/files/sof...tup%201.38.exe or
http://www.motoefi.com/EFI/files/sof...tup%20V1.6.exe

Also, I attached a zip with my current tune.
Attached Files
File Type: zip microsquirt201703291906.zip (2.9 KB, 299 views)

Street: