Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #1

FastDoc's Official Pitster Pro LXT400 Thread.

I am once again a Chinabike owner/fixer/rider. :roll:

I am home safe and thank you for all your prayers. :P

The PP400 went 330 miles. 115 off road, the rest a mix of freeway and twisty backroads. Since I got the bike with 250 miles on the clock, I rode it in 2 days more than the poor prior owner rode it in a year.

The Bad.

Lets start with the bad, but there is also plenty of good so don't get discouraged. You all know CB's. :wink:

The bike was an ABSOLUTE BEAR to start cold. Once warmed up it was fine all day. The prior owner said the choke (enricher) does not help and it used with the motor already running will kill it.

The seat left me feeling like I was examined by a sadistic Chinese protologist. This is the sort of torture the Chinese did to our boys in Korea.

Chain guard fell off.

Horn was feeble to begin with, dead now.

Neutral light was acting up in the beginning, seems to have fixed itself.

Screw fell out of right rear shroud.

Speedo and temp gauge sometimes are bouncy.

This thing is no Gold Wing, and despite being larger (nominally) than my KLX it does not have nearly the smaller bikes power. Top speed (GPS) was 80. I think with a larger countershaft sprocket it would go faster.

Poor gas mileage on the highway (70 MPH only 40.6) The 3 gallon tank makes sure you stop at every gas station or wait for God to send a trucker.

Starter button tried to fall out but I caught it in time.

Puller broke off tool kit zipper.

No halogen headlight.

Snails on chain adjuster lack a tab to tap them to adjust them.

Some Chinaman put too much Locktite on the rear axle, had to loosen nut.

Clutch drags some but I was able to adjust much of that away. I hope a good cable lube tomorrow will help.

A couple drops of oil from the oil filter cover.

The Good.

It was cheap. :roll:

It looks great.

It's twisty road handling is outstanding.

The no-name Chinese tires are very good.

It climbs great.

It accelerates well.

It is fairly light and a good off road machine.

The suspension bottoms with even small jumps, but at least it jumps.

It got me home safe.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

At home ready for it's first bath.

Out in the middle of nowhere somewhere. We did 115 miles of dirt, it's all a blur... 8)

Brother Roger. I love this guy.

Although much easier to ride in the dirt and especially the technical single track, The KLR has it all over the PP. We did a section of dry stream bed and river rock that gave the KLR fits, but Roger kept it together. The PP handled that, and everything else just fine.

Pick a rut, any rut. Either one will put you on your face if you're not careful.

Brother Roger digging in!

Daddy469 (Michael) and Roger.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #3

BTW The oil under the bike in the 3rd picture is not mine. Some Harley was parked there before me. :wink:

This is a quality machine. ANYONE who can afford one should get one!

This is NOT a quality machine, but anyone can afford one!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #4

All nice and clean:

Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the report, Brother Bill! Let's take a look at that carburetor, and see if we can fix the cold start problem.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #6

is there maybe a larger tank that would fit the pp400 ?

if not, then might i suggest a empty water bottle filled with gas and stored in the rear pack you have strapped on it ? just incase you run out of gas again you could get a few more miles down the road vs having to walk or wait for some one

maybe even a reserve tank hidden behind a body panel or something...

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #7

FastDoc,
Somehow I missed the start of this saga. Just couldn't pass up a great deal? Glutton for punishment? Trying to atone for some past sin?

Anyway the Pitster looks brand new all cleaned up.

Your comment about the sadistic Chinese proctologist hit home with me since I just had my annual physical. Luckily my doctor is a female.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Your comment about the sadistic Chinese proctologist hit home with me since I just had my annual physical. Luckily my doctor is a female.

Very interesting. :roll:

I know why I did it. :oops:

I must have some ADD. I have to stay busy. I must have some OCD. I need to fix things.

I've been thinking about this. Non-Chinese bikes are for beginners. Pay the $$$, turn the key, go ride. ANYONE can do it. It takes an expert rider/mechanic/tinkerer to run a Chinabike.We are expert riders (I guess). 8)

BTW, You KNOW I will get that PP running fine soon, with all your help. All the issues are very small except for the cold starting problem and I will post pics later and see if we can get that figured out.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thanks for the report, Brother Bill! Let's take a look at that carburetor, and see if we can fix the cold start problem.

Spud
What Kind of Carb does this have? A CV? I Know that I read about moving the Clip on the main Needle down to the 4yh position has been stated to help with cold starts. I find that to be true becuase I started my bike yesterday (Foregetting to put the choke on) and it fired right up without problem. Barely had to give it any gas. Just a thought if any of it applys. I am certainly not a CARB guy but I am learning quite a bit here.

DOC - Did you get a Service manual or locate one for this bike yet?

Andrew
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #10

CARB Info

Doc - Check this out if you haven't already !

http://www.pitsterpro.com/uploads/do...%20Jetting.jpg

Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

From FD,
"I've been thinking about this. Non-Chinese bikes are for beginners. Pay the $$$, turn the key, go ride. ANYONE can do it. It takes an expert rider/mechanic/tinkerer to run a Chinabike.We are expert riders (I guess). Cool"

That is why I never recommend that an inexperienced rider/mechanic buy a China bike especially off the net. Nothing wrong with them buying from a good dealer that has been in business for years. But in my case there is not a good dealer around here. I haven't been to a auto or motorcycle dealer for service in I don't know when.

BTW, I don't claim to be an expert. Still learning or practicing like the good Doc says.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #12

Links Featuring the LXT400

I came across this website that I thought you would all enjoy - I think the Video actually features a LXT400 Doc - Enjoy - I'm going to watch it in it's entirety now.....

http://www.labarstowvegas.com/

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #13

Thanks for the pics, Doc.

I hadn't noticed before, but those side panels are looking very XL / XR - ish. I wonder if the seat and tank are XL / XR shaped as well. I'd be happy to compare my XR tank and seat if you like. If you remove the seat and tank, flip them over and take some photos, and I'll do the same. We could compare mounting points and dimensions and see if that would benefit you.

An XL / XR seat and a Clarke tank would make that machine much more comfortable with a longer range.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #14

UPDATE:

Took the bike to church this AM and for the long way home. It started right up :P . Maybe it needed to be ridden? It had basically sat for 9 months without Stabil or anything. Also I found out that you just need to pull the enricher just a tad, gently, and a little throttle and you're good to go. It only took a minute to warm up before heading on the road.

I plan to take it for a dirt ride this afternoon, will report my findings. I have a patient with a Husaberg who's been wanting to ride with me. Any luck at all I'll be able to take a turn on that fine machine too. 8)

Some more plusses to report. The horn fixed itself. My guess is it did not like the powerwasher, although it is now of normal volume, before it was feeble. Go figure.

The swingarm is aluminum, the suspension is adjustable although I have not played with it yet. It uses no oil or antifreeze.

Over 600 miles on the clock. I hope to have it over 1,00 in another week. God willing.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for the pics, Doc.

I hadn't noticed before, but those side panels are looking very XL / XR - ish. I wonder if the seat and tank are XL / XR shaped as well. I'd be happy to compare my XR tank and seat if you like. If you remove the seat and tank, flip them over and take some photos, and I'll do the same. We could compare mounting points and dimensions and see if that would benefit you.

An XL / XR seat and a Clarke tank would make that machine much more comfortable with a longer range.
PP says the plastics and frame are XR400 clones, so XR400 plastics and tank should fit.