Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #16

I didn't want to link the entire thread (it is epic!) about a guy who travels throughout the African continent with his surfboard. However, starting on page 6 (where I linked) and through page 7, the guy's friend met him in S. Africa and bought a Bashan Xplode (we don't have that model here, and with a name like that, I can see why!? ) and rode over 5000 miles from S. Africa to Zanzibar or Tanzania (not sure if they took the ferry?!). The only problem he had was a chain that stretched beyond what was useful, and the wheel was as far back as it would go. The part up to where he sold the bike is on page 7. The point is, his friend 'just went for it' and had few issues riding 5k miles in the African continent, and was able to sell it (not sure how much). Anyway, the part where they bought the bike in S. Africa is post 88.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...fboard-72401-6

Disclaimer--on a different continent and a different brand of Chinese bike, you results may vary...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #17

Had a nice chat with Adam at RPS yesterday. He spoke with their head mechanic about my plans and the Hawk's ability to meet them. The mechanics only concern was piston seize from overheating on long high speed runs. In the heat. Wonder if an oil cooler could be rigged up. I know a guy who seized a piston on a Yammy 250 in Costa Rica. He did a top end in the parking lot of his hotel and scraped the cylinder walls with a knife to clean up the scoring. Made it all the way to Chile.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #18

There are two types of oil cooler for the CG motor that I've seen; one has a bypass valve, and the other does not. Either cooler provides a new valve cover, and it taps into the pressurized oil that feeds the valve springs. An IN and OUT fitting on the valve cover are then connected to supplied braided hoses (via banjo fittings), and then connected to the heat exchanger. There is at least a couple of heat exchanger sizes to choose from.

You'd have to cobble some mounting brackets together, but that would be the hardest part.

Here's one: http://world.taobao.com/item/1868825...1.14.77.YOji84

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There are two types of oil cooler for the CG motor that I've seen; one has a bypass valve, and the other does not. Either cooler provides a new valve cover, and it taps into the pressurized oil that feeds the valve springs. An IN and OUT fitting on the valve cover are then connected to supplied braided hoses (via banjo fittings), and then connected to the heat exchanger. There is at least a couple of heat exchanger sizes to choose from.

You'd have to cobble some mounting brackets together, but that would be the hardest part.

Here's one: http://world.taobao.com/item/1868825...1.14.77.YOji84
Brilliant Weld, thanks. The more I research Chinese bikes the more I like them, inexpensive parts and the awesome support of those community,

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Do you have a shop nearby where I can setup the bike, gearing,jetting, change oil etc?
Sorry, I never answered you. We could do that in my carport, but the caveat is the desert HEAT this time of year. Then again, my wife was in Georgia last September and told me how hot and humid it was (and she knows heat living in this place!).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #21

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Sorry, I never answered you. We could do that in my carport, but the caveat is the desert HEAT this time of year. Then again, my wife was in Georgia last September and told me how hot and humid it was (and she knows heat living in this place!).
Yes it is hot in Arizona, but its a dry heat. In Georgia it's kind of like being in a sauna. Arizona is like a convection oven.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Last edited by Wolftrax; 01-30-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #22

OK, step 1 is complete, just placed my order for a black Hawk 250. Now time to order parts:

1. Mikuni carb
2. Oil cooler
3. Stainless spokes
4. 17T countershaft sprocket
5. Jet assortment
6. Spitfire wind screen.

I doubt I'll have $200 in parts, gonna be my cheapest build ever, but then again that's the plan

I'll fab my own side racks to secure my GL Great Basin.

Hopefully I'll have the build done by the Virginia Horizon's meeting in May for a quick break in run

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #23

Good for you, Mark.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #24

I'm looking forward to following your build, Mark.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #25

Thanks Spud and Weld. This bike is going to be a blast to build and hopefully a success for it's chosen mission. I'm amazed at how inexpensive parts are. Plus the support on this forum is terrific. Will definitely share my experiences here.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #26

The eagle has landed,excuse me, I mean the Hawk has landed. Wasn't expecting it till Friday. Ordered Monday from Dallas and it arrived today in Rabun County Georgia. Unfortunately I'm in Harrisonburg Va and won't get home till Friday. Heck I don't even no if I goth the stealthy black one or the faster red.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #27

I am happy to read about this, but selfishly upset that you most likely will not be riding through Yuma . Seriously, I am happy to read of such a ride, because I have been thinking of setting low-budget tours from Yuma on Chinabikes, and the Hawk is about as low in price as one can go! I would be interested to know all the bolts you plan on replacing before the ride (or the ones you figure out that need replacing from your break-in riding).

Now, I need someone to copy your ride on a CSC TT, CSC RX3, and one of the Bashan 229cc enduros, and perhaps even on a Pitster Pro XTR (I have been eyeing one of those for my tax return...).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #28

Hi
Quote:
I am happy to read about this, but selfishly upset that you most likely will not be riding through Yuma . Seriously, I am happy to read of such a ride, because I have been thinking of setting low-budget tours from Yuma on Chinabikes, and the Hawk is about as low in price as one can go! I would be interested to know all the bolts you plan on replacing before the ride (or the ones you figure out that need replacing from your break-in riding).

Now, I need someone to copy your ride on a CSC TT, CSC RX3, and one of the Bashan 229cc enduros, and perhaps even on a Pitster Pro XTR (I have been eyeing one of those for my tax return...).
I am still planning on going through Baja and Yuma is on the way. I would still like to take you up on your hospitality. I would.love to sit down with you and discuss your rental/tour plans.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #29

I'm almost embarrassed to quote how little this build will be. For less than the price of a set of Tourtech Zega Pros I'll be touring in style on my China Bike. Go far, Go slow, Go light.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #30

Quote:

That XTR seems overpriced seems like a Hawk with adjustable suspension. What makes it worth it just wondering. Now the LXR that is liquid cooled 4 valve oh I like that.

2014 Hawk 250
Firehawk minibike
Previous bikes~
1995 Yamaha YZ125
1998 Yamaha YZ250
1981 Yamaha YZ465
1987 Honda TRX 250R X2 one stock one modified
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2000 Kawasaki ZR7