Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 07:29 PM   #16

Yeah I have tried to do both loosen the steerhead to loosen steering that didn’t do much and then tightened it more and still was creaking. I just don’t want it to break apart when trail riding lol.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I don't think it can be the bearings if they are packed with grease. Maybe the bearing race(s) is (are) flexing. Can you minimize it by tightening the bearings a bit more (steering head)?

I have noticed a few creaks and cracks in the frame/suspension on my X when I get on it or move it around in the garage. I chaulk it up to some broad tolerances on components... things like imperfect bushing fit, minor lateral movement on suspension components on their shafts. These are things that wouldn't be tolerated on a high end modern motorcycle. My KTM frame/suspension is flawlessly quiet and taught, which translates to additional confidence in tight situations if I am trying to punch above my weight But the KTM retailed at $5000 more than the Templar, so I don't fault the Templar for not being a race-ready machine!
So I should be good then?

Old 04-26-2024, 02:58 AM   #18

I don't know. What I'm talking about I can only hear when the engine is not running for the most part.

I don't think your frame is cracked. That would be obvious, and you could see it.

Does the front wheel seem okay? How about the front forks? Any creaking or cracking when you flex the front forks?

Old 04-26-2024, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I don't know. What I'm talking about I can only hear when the engine is not running for the most part.

I don't think your frame is cracked. That would be obvious, and you could see it.

Does the front wheel seem okay? How about the front forks? Any creaking or cracking when you flex the front forks?
Front wheel seems fine. And shocks seem fine it’s only when I go over bumps or quick inclines. Just creaking like you would hear on a wood floor lol. Frame looks fine no cracks that I can see. Idk how to post pictures on here so you could see the lower bearing on the lower steerhead bracket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3583.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	31340  

Old 04-26-2024, 12:54 PM   #20

That lower seal (or whatever it is) looks a bit crappy. Would expect it to be sitting flat against the bottom of the steering tube
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 04-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #21

I would get the bike on a stand with the front wheel off the ground, have someone hold the thing steady while I pull/push the front rim to see if the steering stem thumps/wobbles forward and back. If the headset cannot be tightened to the point where it does not move, I'd say it is a serious problem, and evidence should be collected (video). Post it on youtube and send a link the PSM or wherever you got it. I don't think it will fall apart while riding, but loose headset is not good for ride stability, steering, and braking.

Old 04-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #22

Yeah...I'm thinking maybe the lower race isn't installed fully or the headset just simply tightened properly.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 04-26-2024, 07:31 PM   #23

Years ago I had to do exactly like Thumper said to find a loose triple clamp on a bike I had. Before that I tried every way I could think of to find it by myself with no luck.
In that case it was a parts mismatch, even threaded all the way down tight it wouldn't ever had tightened up. Some spacers solved it easily enough. Drove me nuts before I found the issue.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiville06 View Post
Front wheel seems fine. And shocks seem fine it’s only when I go over bumps or quick inclines. Just creaking like you would hear on a wood floor lol. Frame looks fine no cracks that I can see. Idk how to post pictures on here so you could see the lower bearing on the lower steerhead bracket
Have you been able to check for flex on the steering head? Taking it all apart is lots of work. It would be good to verify if it is the problem before taking it all apart.

Get the bike on a lift or set it on a bike stand so the front wheel is off the ground. You will probably need some help stabilizing the bike on the stand while you push/pull the front wheel and see if the steering head bearings have movement/play.