Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2023, 12:40 AM   #1

Looking for a counterbalanced bike

Hi there, new to china bikes and it seems like the brozz is a good combination of features for myself. Are there any other bikes with a counterbalanced engine, carb, and decent suspension (upside forks and adjustable shocks)? Or maybe if anyone knows when the brozz might be back in stock. Thank you!

Old 09-07-2023, 08:27 AM   #2

The Templar X 250 counterbalanced 6 speed is hard to beat for the current market offerings price bracket.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #3

The Lifan KPX 250 is counterbalanced, EFI and true 250cc engine with 6 speeds. Way better bike than the Hawk, TBR7, Brozz or TT250.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...d-street-legal
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
The Lifan KPX 250 is counterbalanced, EFI and true 250cc engine with 6 speeds. Way better bike than the Hawk, TBR7, Brozz or TT250.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...d-street-legal
You got my full attention on this. I'm so used to 5 I'll probably forget there's a 6th gear. My main question: how well have they implemented EFI on this thing? Is it rock solid?

Edit: Just saw your video on the comparison between Hawk and KPX 250. First thing I noticed is you were comparing it to a carbed Hawk, which is not a true comparison. It should go up against the Hawk DLX, and I believe the Hawk DLX would still lose.

No kick starter. That may be the deciding factor for me. May need to kick start a bike that has dead batt and no way to charge...

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Last edited by bigdano711; 09-08-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
You got my full attention on this. I'm so used to 5 I'll probably forget there's a 6th gear. My main question: how well have they implemented EFI on this thing? Is it rock solid?
I'll have my KPX one year at the end of this month and I currently have 8500 miles on the odometer and my goal is to have 9000 miles on the bike at the end of the first year. If the EFI and electronics were going to be an issue, I would probably have had problems by now.

Other than price, I think the Templar X would be the better choice if you are going to primarily ride trails. The bike is taller, has the adjustable suspension and knobby tires. I ride predominately on pavement, gravel, and forest service roads and wanted a bike I could do long trips on and that required less maintenance. The KPX has accomplished that so far.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:

Edit: Just saw your video on the comparison between Hawk and KPX 250. First thing I noticed is you were comparing it to a carbed Hawk, which is not a true comparison. It should go up against the Hawk DLX, and I believe the Hawk DLX would still lose.

No kick starter. That may be the deciding factor for me. May need to kick start a bike that has dead batt and no way to charge...
I removed the kick starter from the Storm because it hit my calf. And it always starts easy, and quick. Well, as long as my son doesn't try to start it after sitting. He never remembers choke, and doesn't wait for it to start (repetitive short attempts). So he kills it.

But I pop it in third, rolled it down the road by the house, popped the clutch, and it started instantly (half choke). No need for a starter unless you have a dead battery and can't get the bike to moderate decline.

Last edited by Thumper; 09-08-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:

1. It's worth getting a Battery Tender. Never have to think about a dead battery again.

2. Cars do not have kick starters. If it's a manual tranny, you get it rolling, pop the clutch in third gear which spins the alternator, it fires up, off you go. A slight incline is helpful.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #8

Never really looked at those Lifans. Is one really worth like a thousand dollars more than a Templar X? Not really seeing it in a brief look at the page you linked to.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Never really looked at those Lifans. Is one really worth like a thousand dollars more than a Templar X? Not really seeing it in a brief look at the page you linked to.
Depends on your plans for it and how long you intend to keep it.

Learner bike, then move up after a year = pay less.
Long-term ownership = BOCO (buy once, cry once)
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-07-2023, 08:49 PM   #10

I totally agree, it depends on your plans for it, and how long you intend to keep it.

I plan on keeping my Templar, and feel confident in the quality. I paid $1850. Never cried!

BUT... The Bashan Storm has a really sweet counterbalanced Zongshen 167FMM "250". It is a 223cc 15hp engine. Don't count it out. Brozz and Recon too. The 172FMM is definitely more powerful, but the Storm and other Bashans are nice dual purpose bikes.

I still "own" the Storm. My son left it behind when he went off to college last month. I am taking care of it for him. Needs "care" mostly in the form of periodic use

Last edited by Thumper; 09-08-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #11

Some might value the EFI and extended warranty cover with the KPX as worth it.

But I would agree that the $1000 price premium over a Templar X 250 makes the KPX somewhat of a hard sell IMO.

Old 09-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #12

I was curious if you can push start with EFI, guess you can! That KPX 250 is a sweet bike!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin