Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

HAWK Rear Sprocket Catastrophic Failure

Another HAWK problem.. Weather was nice today so i was going to ride i got about a mile or 2 from home and lost all power when giving it gas, I first thought my transmission went out but then i saw the chain still spinning and thought "what the hell?!" i look back at the sprocket and it was just freely spinning...

SO i PUSHED the bike home A MILE or 2 and found the sprocket completely out of place on ALL 4 of the retainers. The retainer clip looked to be just fine and it was.

mind you, I had the stock 50t rear sprocket. I never wanted to mess with the rear sprocket because of the clip and now, after taking it off i know why. So I got the sprocket off and discovered how the retaining bolts work and they were ALL completely broken and one even destroyed the bushing it was in.

Now ive changed my rear tire 3 times and messed with the stock chain a ton until i eventually got a new chain and i never noticed the sprocket looking bad. It always appeared to be pretty solid.

I'm having a hard time believing that ALL 4 broke at once and assume they broke one by one over time but i had no way of noticing or being able to tell AND my bike sat pretty much all winter beside the occasional nice days.

So what i want to know is do you guys think i will have to just get a whole new rear wheel assembly? or should I just get a new HUB?

And can anyone tell me what the rear wheel assembly comes with? Spokes, rim, hub? probably doesnt come with the rotor or a sprocket so I will have to put the sprocket back on?

Also does anyone know of what retainer bolts I can buy that will fit and wont completely fail on me?

Thanks guys... Ill post pictures in the next post

Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthrash View Post
another hawk problem.. Weather was nice today so i was going to ride i got about a mile or 2 from home and lost all power when giving it gas, i first thought my transmission went out but then i saw the chain still spinning and thought "what the hell?!" i look back at the sprocket and it was just freely spinning...

So i pushed the bike home a mile or 2 and found the sprocket completely out of place on all 4 of the retainers. The retainer clip looked to be just fine and it was.

Mind you, i had the stock 50t rear sprocket. I never wanted to mess with the rear sprocket because of the clip and now, after taking it off i know why. So i got the sprocket off and discovered how the retaining bolts work and they were all completely broken and one even destroyed the bushing it was in.

Now ive changed my rear tire 3 times and messed with the stock chain a ton until i eventually got a new chain and i never noticed the sprocket looking bad. It always appeared to be pretty solid.

I'm having a hard time believing that all 4 broke at once and assume they broke one by one over time but i had no way of noticing or being able to tell and my bike sat pretty much all winter beside the occasional nice days.

So what i want to know is do you guys think i will have to just get a whole new rear wheel assembly? Or should i just get a new hub?

And can anyone tell me what the rear wheel assembly comes with? Spokes, rim, hub? Probably doesnt come with the rotor or a sprocket so i will have to put the sprocket back on?

Also does anyone know of what retainer bolts i can buy that will fit and wont completely fail on me?

Thanks guys... Ill post pictures in the next post

Name:  IMG_3202.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3207.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3206.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3209.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3210.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  98.4 KB

Old 01-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Glad to hear you are alright after that ordeal... having the sprocket free spin was lucky

MegaDan covered this problem several times, hopefully every HAWK owner gets the Memo soon

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Glad to hear you are alright after that ordeal... having the sprocket free spin was lucky

MegaDan covered this problem several times, hopefully every HAWK owner gets the Memo soon

ya i know! i was hitting the sickest wheelie just a few moments before. Luckily it occurred as i was rolling out from a stop sign.

And he did? i looked on here and saw some people had the issue but i didnt see what their solution was. Ill have to check again and read into it more.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #5

It has to do mainly with the slop between the snap ring and stock sprocket. I plan on eventually getting the Honda studs, just in case, though LOL!

Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

I saw your post on my thread and lef a response
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I saw your post on my thread and lef a response
okay thanks

Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #8

The one that broke off inside the bushing might not be so bad to get out.

I would suggest putting some penetrating oil in there just in case there is some corrosion holding it in place.

You can start with a simple idea of seeing if you can fish it out with a magnet. Might not work, but worth a try.

Drill into the center of it if you can, then thread the hole you drilled and put some threaded rod or bolt into the hole and see if you can't find a way to pull that sucker out, either with leverage or a slide hammer.
Or try an easy out. The reverse action of the easy out might help pull it out, and if it will spin in the hole, that will ensure anything holding it in place will lose its grip.

Just ideas at this point.

See my sprocket thread for part info btw.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124