Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Sticky shifter

My 2018 RX3’s shifter sticks between shifts, especially on downshifts. Normally between shifts the shift lever springs back to a “ready” position so that you can then shift up or down. Mine stays against the stop unless I tap it with my foot and then it releases and springs back. So every downshift is a two and sometimes three tap affair in order to engage the next gear.
I have 400 miles on the bike and it hasn’t improved. CSC says I may have to pull the clutch basket and check the return spring but I was hoping someone else has experienced this problem and found another fix before I tear into the motor.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

return spring

I agree with the CSC diagnosis. One other member had an issue with the shift return spring. Yes, it's a PITA to have to fix this on a new machine but the current situation will really detract from enjoying the bike. At least this is covered by your warranty.

It has been a few weeks since I split the cases on my engine but looking at the CSC parts list is appears that the return spring is on the left side. If that's the case you should not have to mess with the clutch side at all, only the left side. Not sure if that makes any difference, it's still a PITA. As usual, Gerry is the guy to ask.

Peter Y.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Hi, the return spring is on the right side. You have to remove oil and coolant, take out the water pump and brake pedal, and then the right side cover. Is wouldn't be hard if not for the two rearmost bolts, wich are behind the frame and are a real PITA to remove.
Once with the right side exposed, you remove the gear lever from the axle (on the left side) and then the while gear change axle can be pulled out to the right… it's a fiddly affair if you don't remove the whole clutch housing, but it can be done.
The return spring is a part known by having failed prematurely a number of times.

Regards,

Juanro

Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

In this video from fellow argentine mechanic Gustavo Galli you can see more detail
(it's in spanish but the image speaks by itself)

Old 08-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Get it done. One of the really nice things about the RX3 is its transmission, when everything is right. Best and easiest I've ever owned, so it is worth the trouble.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

The more I think about it, the return spring should either be working or broken, in which case the shifter wouldn’t spring back at all. So I suspect it must be something else.

I just spoke to Steve (owner of CSC) and he agrees and is looking into it.

Pyoungbl: Gerry is no longer working there. Joey is the new CSC tech. And who is the person you mentioned who had the shifter spring problem ? Did it break or did he have the same symptoms as I’m having ?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the update on Gerry. RE the other return spring issue...cannot remember who had the problem, must have been mentioned on this forum since this is the one that seems to cover the RX3 in depth, in that case the spring was broken.

It's comforting to hear that the president/owner of the company is helping you solve the problem.

Peter Y.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #8

Meloman, it wasn't mentioned, but has the bike fallen on it's left side?

If the shift lever or the shaft got bent, it can cause binding.

I suggest trying the shift lever by hand with close observation.
Put the bike on the center stand or up on some maintenance stand to turn the rear wheel by hand while working the shifter. Watch, listen, and feel. This may help to give you an idea where the problem is.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #9

Jay, bike has never fallen. On the phone today for a long time discussing problem with Joey. They’re sending new shift shaft and the associated star gear on the shift drum. These are the only two parts that can be related to the problem.
Can’t say enough about how diligent CSC is in assisting with anything needed to resolve the problem and satisfy the customer. Joey is even writing the procedure, photographing the parts and if necessary, doing a video. They actually pulled a brand new crate motor out of stock and disassembled it to investigate any and all probable causes of the problem. Kudos to CSC.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #10

Is this a thing?
I experienced a few times only to discover I was NOT lifting my big foot off the shift lever!
Alls well now

Old 08-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
Is this a thing?
I experienced a few times only to discover I was NOT lifting my big foot off the shift lever!
Alls well now
I love it when the solutions are this easy. It's rare, but nice when it goes that way.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #12

No GSC, not my foot. It happens on both up and downshifts.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #13

Have them send an entire engine assembly and swap it out. Its brand new.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #14

yes; also on up shifts if i didn't release my boot pressure from under the shifter. shifter needs to settle to be ready for next lift, you know.
in my experience.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #15

GSC isn't the only one. I prefer wheeler boots with traction soles since I'm not sliding all over. I have a longer shifter from my stack of old parts that fits and works perfect with the wheeler boots, a size to big for winter warmth layers, too sloppy with safety toe work boots in the summer. Fortunately, the stock shifter works perfect with the work boots, but the wheeler boots barely fit, with shift problems.