Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #76

I've owned scads of bikes and I've never seen a countershaft bolt before, that I can recall. Bizarre.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #77

I guess we could start gathering a production number tab to see if there is a commonality here. How should we go about it ? Weld, Detours either of you have any suggestions?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
mine is the new 2016 and sill has the nut, wonder which would be better? Knock on wood ,but mine has been shifting flawlessly. I did switch to full synthetic at the first oil change though.
Hopefully, no difference. So far I've not had any problems.

I guess i'm Just pointing out that they have changed things as time has gone on. I think all of your bikes in the USA had the nut

Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I've owned scads of bikes and I've never seen a countershaft bolt before, that I can recall. Bizarre.
Yeah, it is a bit random. certainly not usual.

I think that all of your RX3 s in the USA have the nut.

The only gearbox problems that I have read on the Chinese forums is a few bikes had the gear selector shaft return spring snap.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #80

Great news!!! My new engine has made it to its first oil change!! 200 miles. That's better than the last one!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Great news!!! My new engine has made it to its first oil change!! 200 miles. That's better than the last one!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #82

Good news CS ! I hope this is the first of many uneventful oil changes and increased pleasure.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #83

I will put the aluminum skid and cage back on it now. Figured I'd wait to see if I had to pull the motor back out it would save time!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #84

CSaddict, That's great news on your motor. Hang in there and break it in with some TLC. And it will be a faithful ride for you.
For what it's worth. I rode mine on my first certifiable Iron Butt 1000 miles in less then 24 hours this weekend. What amazed me was the flogging the motor took. I literally rode it full throttle WFO at 65-70mph on the GPS for 70-80% of the trip going up and down interstate hills where the speed limit was 70 and 80 mph in Oregon and Idaho. The motor seemed to not be taxed at all. It seems like the motor is choked down enough so even riding full throttle for hours on end it's no where near to blowing up. Judicious use of the gear box to keep it above 6500 rpm was needed to get over mountain passes and curvy hills in 4th and 5th. Never had to run it above 8000 rpm.
On a long down hill I held it wide open to gain speed to get up the next hill and 75 GPS was all she could do. Gearing was 2 teeth up from standard on the rear sprocket. Oil was the CSC 20-50 premium synthetic. I was running the lowest grade of gas but on the return trip home I used the middle grade and it gained me 2-3 mph and more power to get over the hills so I didn't need to downshift as much. The bike never once gave me trouble or left me wondering if I would make it home. It impressed the Harley, Indian, and Victory guys I started out with. They soon left me with their higher top speed so I was riding solo most of the 20 hours it took to complete. I made it to the last fill up to certify the end of the ride maybe 15 min after they did. Around 9300 miles on the bike now. Who's your daddy now? rj

Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I was running the lowest grade of gas but on the return trip home I used the middle grade and it gained me 2-3 mph and more power to get over the hills so I didn't need to downshift as much.
What octane number is 'mid grade' out there? Most places around here 'mid grade' is 87 or 89 depending on the gas station you stop at so you have to keep an eye on what you actually use (some gas stations around here has 85, 87, then 91 for the same price as everyone else... everyone else mostly has 87, 89, and 91)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Congrats! Fingers crossed the gears break in and start shifting better. What grade and brand of oil did you put in?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #87

At altitude, where absolute compression is less, the risk of detonation is less, so the need for octane is reduced. Indeed, higher octane will perform less well.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
At altitude, where absolute compression is less, the risk of detonation is less, so the need for octane is reduced. Indeed, higher octane will perform less well.
I understand this, I was asking to find out what 'mid grade' he used because not every gas station has the same "mid grade"... some places around here it's 87, some have 89...

Some places you buy "low grade" you can either get 85 at some stations... or drive up the street and get 87 for the same price as the station with 85, the Bashan WILL runs better on 87 over 85, haven't put 89 in it and doubt I will.

Just trying to find out "what mid grade number was used" in that fill up that got a few extra MPH

Old 06-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #89

Just spoke to Gerry at CSC. They haven't taken my motor apart yet but he said he will email me when he did. They're is another one there with a 4th gear issue he said but doesn't know of the ones people posted on ADV. I'll get some more miles on it this week after the oil change. I'm goingto run conventional oil until 500 miles as Gerry recommended and then switch over to synthetic.

Just to add I only run the highest octane available in all my bikes. 92+ I never tried 87.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Congrats! Fingers crossed the gears break in and start shifting better. What grade and brand of oil did you put in?
Gerry sent Maxima 20w50 conventional oil with the new engine. It got smashed in shipment but my local shop carries the same so I figured I should stick with that. I'll get it again for this change up to 500.