Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #1

Exclamation Hawk 250 Registration - Fulton County, Georgia

Hello Fellow Chinariders,

I'm making this thread because I didn't see a recent thread or post addressing Hawk 250 (Carburated )registration in Georgia from the search and none for Fulton county (Downtown Atlanta and surrounding areas).

Reporting a rather successful registration.

My dealer was 360powersports .com. They are apparently an arm of My Scooters and ATVs located at 3201 E. Pioneer Pkwy #34 Arlington Texas 76010. It's my understanding they operate a few Texas dealers that have served as a source for many of our members. The seller that signed my Bill of Sale and MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) was Oscar Hernandez, notarized by Guarav Sharma. MCO indicated the manufacturer to be Chonhqing Haosen Ltd. MCO and Bill of Sale indicated the year make and model to be 2021 RPS HS250Y-A HAWK

1. Attain paperwork from dealer- I ordered the Hawk August 27. The paperwork arrived by mail on September 10. Bill of sale was dated for the 7th. The bill of sale came notarized, the MCO did not. The Fulton county DMV did not require the notarization on the MCO but they did on the Bill of Sale. Dealer also put their stamp on the Bill of Sale. I'm unsure if this is a requirement.

2. Gain your motorcycle license - In Georgia we have the class M endorsement and the class MP for an instructional permit. The class M requires the road test or completion of the Basic Rider Course within 90 days of applying for the license. This grants you unlimited use of your motorcycle. The MP license is basically a day permit. It's meant so people can learn to ride a motorcycle on the road. You can only ride during the day during clear weather with this permit. You only have to pass the knowledge exam and vision exam for this.

3. Insure the bike - How this step goes for you will depend upon your chosen insurer. I went with Progressive. Their VIN decoder on their website did not return anything and was unable to interpret it. I was able however to enter it in by make and model as an RPS Hawk 250 with engine displacement 249cc (their only drop down option). Georgia requires 25,000 each person, 50,000 per accident for bodily injury and 25,000 each accident. Uninsured motorist is not required and when I quoted actually turned out to be quite expensive. This plus roadside assistance is running 118$ per year. I have a clean 3 year driving record which is the scope of Progressive's driving history lookback.

Before you go to the DMV either give it enough time to be entered into the state's database, or print the declarations page and the verification page and take it with you. They will not accept just the ID cards.

4. Form T-22b ( T-22BRAVO)- This is the Georgia Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicle Division Certification of Inspection by a Duly Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer. The top right of the form will have the revision. As of the date of this post the most current revision is 5-2020. DO NOT FILL THIS FORM OUT. It's to be completed by the officer save for one of your signatures. I just printed it out and then didn't touch it until I was asked for a signature. Take it to a local police station/precinct to have it done. You cannot reliably expect an officer you just ask while on patrol to do it. Zone 5 in the CNN center did mine. I gave them the form and my license and a few things happened.

-- The inspection - Officer simply walked out and looked the bike over and also viewed the VIN (located on the steering column) and matched it against my provided information. Mine matched so this went over smoothly.

-- Officer then ran the VIN to check if it was stolen. This is a pretty standard thing really.

-- A check was ran for pre-existing registration. It apparently came back with nothing. I asked what this meant and apparently the dealer had not registered it in Texas. This was apparently innocuous however and did not halt me in any way. I did not gain further details as I didn't want to irritate a situation that was currently going my way.

-- They checked to see if I had any active warrants. I'm a good boy so this was innocuous to me.

Some notes about this step:

The inspecting officer directly told me he had little experience doing these inspections as he was usually on the streets and not a desk. When he filled out the form he I noticed he did not indicate whether or not the NHTSA/FMVSS label was affixed.

I did some research regarding this label. This label is a requirement for all on road vehicles including imported motorcycles. However it is a federal regulation. I didn't go very in depth and I'm not a lawyer but I cannot find any indicator that Georgia themselves has any law in particular requiring it but it is a question on this form. Again, my inspector left this blank.

5. Form T-228 (T - two two eight) - This is the Georgia Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division Affidavit of Fact for a Motorcycle or Scooter. This one is simple. Fill it out as required and then have it notarized in the proper space at the bottom. There is a section for the vehicle information. I filled it out to match the MCO and Bill of Sale. (Year: 2021, Make: RPS, Model: HS250Y-A HAWK). This form does not ask about the FMVSS label.

6. MV-1 Motor Vehicle Application - This is the application for the tag and title. Fill this out appropriately with the requested info. I used the same information that was on my MCO and Bill of Sale for make and model (RPS HS250Y-A HAWK). I also indicated that it was 1 owner and filled myself out as owner # 1 under section B. In section C I did not have to provide the dealer's 12 Digit Customer ID or the seller's GA sales tax number.

THEN AFTER YOU DO ALL THIS...

7. DMV - Fulton County's is located inside the government building. I recommend you have all necessary forms filled out (Title app, t-228, T-22b by an officer of course) as well as you insurance binder (declarations and verification). You will have to pay the following fees:

--Title Ad Valorem - This a tax paid in Georgia every time a vehicle is newly registered to a new owner. The current rate at the time of this post is 6.66%. This came out to 106.79 on my Hawk which had a purchase price 1618. They will go by the Bill of Sale for this so pay attention to what's indicated. Again my dealer was 360powersports.com.

--Title Fee - This is the fee for getting the title. It is 18 dollars flat.

--Annual Registration Fee - This is the yearly cost for registrations in Georgia. Registrations last one year in this state and require this fee for each registration. It is 20 dollars flat.

This part went by painlessly for me and should for everybody that has the requisite bureaucracy in order ahead of time.

Final Thoughts:

Georgia is a bureaucratic hell hole when it comes registering any vehicle. What's worse is there are often different requirements in different counties. I believe Fulton is a particularly rough county to register in so maybe my successful tag, titling and registration of my Hawk will be a beacon of hope to all who come across and hopefully the information contained within will help people who need it.

This is written purely from my experience and understanding having gone through the process. I will try to answer any questions people may have. You can download fill-able pdfs of the needed forms from these links.

T-22b : https://dor.georgia.gov/t-22b-certification-inspection

T-228 : https://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.ge...orm_T228_0.pdf

MV-1 Title app : https://dor.georgia.gov/mv-1-dor-mot...ag-application

The number one problem I feel people are having is the lack of an NHTSA/FMVSS label. It's rather weird to me that these bikes are advertised as "street legal" but do not meet a very plainly stated federal regulation for something to be imported as such. The bike seems to meet all standards of legality otherwise. The fact that the MCOs indicate the body type as "motorcycle" is one thing that might lend itself to a successful registration in any given state.

This means that the key problem in this process would be the t-22b (police inspection). I got through this part cleanly but I'm left wondering the circumstances behind this. was it a case of...

Inexperienced officer left a part of the form blank on accident?

Fulton County and perhaps Georgia not actually caring about the label?

I spent quite a bit of time researching the registration process for motorcycles and the state and local rules concerning that label. I was not able to find one solid reference outside of this forum regarding motorcycles not having that label in this state. On a federal level, every resource I found indicated that that label is required to be there to be imported as a "motorcycle" and not an "off road vehicle". But I'm not a lawyer so maybe I just don't get it, or don't know how to locate the information.

There's also the matter of forum members in the past having both success and failure for a straight shot at registration in this state. County variance seems to have a large effect as well as the luck of the draw on the people you work with through the process. The people of Fulton DMV were pretty straight up with me. All this makes me think I may have lucked out.

As final note for people who are also trying to register their Chinese bike.
If this standard process fails for you there are two alternative paths. I don't have any expertise on these paths and I want to keep the already copious length down a bit but you can...

- Register the bike in Vermont.

- Have the label made for you by a third party. This forum seems to use
a fellow that deals from this website http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-l...ber-labels.htm. Others may be available.

I think that's all I can do here. Time to rest in relief of now being through the hardest part of owning one of these bikes. Better yet is I get to report a success in Georgia for late 2021.

Time to go for a ride.

Last edited by Shooterman; 09-15-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Title correction

Old 09-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #2

wow, that's a pain in the ass. MI just requires you to have the paperwork, no inspection or notarizing. At least you were successful and it's all behind you.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

That's a great description of the hoops you have to jump through. North Dakota was easy. What's interesting is that my Magician came from Txpowersports and Oscar Hernandez signed off on it as well.

2016 Magician 250

Old 01-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #4

I would like to second that before you even get off the phone with insurance, have them email you a binder, proof of insurance. Print that and take it with you. Geico is really slow in GA system but if you have the binder you'll be good to go.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #5

Jumping through hoops... Don't you love Government Workers...

There is ONE MAJOR STEP you forgot... You forgot "The Name of your first born male child"...

Tags
fulton, georgia, registration