Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
All you had to do is swap the tires and rim from one side of the bike to the other then they will be going the right direction.
Yeah...momentary forgetfulness. Actually I remember now why I used the spacers on the newer Coolster was because the newer ones are not offset rims. The center mounting plates of the rim is equal distance unlike the earlier models that had an offset. So you have no choice but to use spacers if your rim does not have any built in offset like my first two I ordered did.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckangaroo70 View Post
Yeah...momentary forgetfulness. Actually I remember now why I used the spacers on the newer Coolster was because the newer ones are not offset rims. The center mounting plates of the rim is equal distance unlike the earlier models that had an offset. So you have no choice but to use spacers if your rim does not have any built in offset like my first two I ordered did.
I forgot about that. Someone else on here had bought 2 at the same time and one had the offset and the other didn't.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #33

Bull 200 Pros and Cons after couple weeks of ownership.

Pros

Those mag wheels are awesome!

Nice tire tread pattern and size

Larger 169cc GY6 vs 149cc GY6

Decals are a nice touch as well as painted front arms

Suspension is much improved over other 150cc models I have owned
Front and Rear disc brakes on the handlebars that work well and are responsive

Exhaust sounds good

Included hitch plate is a nice addition

Rear swing arm/carrier and chain look beefy

Headlights are nice and bright

Price. A lot of bang for the buck!!

The china GY6 clone engine is a beast of an engine! I view it as a pro in anything it is used in. The best component of any china ATV is that tough little engine.

Mostly using Nynut locking nuts everywhere now. That is a good thing.

Nice wider rear stance then some other ATV's in this size range.

Cons

My particular Bull 200 came with one headlight burnt that could have been caught if there was some better Quality Control. Would have been easy to catch.

My particular Bull 200 also came with a Speedometer that measures in Kph
instead of the american standard Mph. No known way to reprogram at this time and no included instructions regarding this issue. Some Bulls have shipped to other American buyers with the correct Mph. Another easy QC catch.

My particular Bull 200 came with a sticky rear brake light switch on the right handle. So sometimes the brake light sticks on. Not a huge deal but something that a quick QC inspection could have caught.

Vibration. The engine is hard mounted to the frame on the bottom of the engine. Defeats purpose of having isolation mounts on top. There is more noticeable vibration from this model then the three Coolster 150's I have purchased. The Coolsters dont use that bottom mount. I believe Tao Tao probably does to prevent engine flex and thus the chain possibly coming off.

The stance of this atv leaves the driver leaning or falling forward. Would be more comfortable if the stance was more level.

Exhaust pipe runs near to the right plastic foot well. Thus the chance to melt a hole in the foot well like I did mine.

A few loose bolts in a couple places that does not use the locking Nynuts.

More grease fittings please!!

Most of the cons I have found are little things that could have been caught during a simple and quick quality control inspection. I know that an ATV in this price point is not going to get or deserve the same scrutiny that a new $7500 Honda is and most people have come to expect a few flaws on atv's in this price point. However even the lower price ATV's have to have some competition among other brands in this price point...so catching those little things before it gets to the buyer might help to create a loyal customer or repeat buyer later.

All in all I am thrilled with the new Tao Tao Bull 200. It has met my expectations up to this point and I am hopeful to get several years of service out of it.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #34

Sounds pretty good overall. Did you try checking with the dealer to see if he'd send you a replacement speedometer in mph? I'd ask anyway. All he can do is say no if not.

What stood out to me is the hitch plate! Now that would be a great feature imo. I've never seen one include with any TaoTao. Would you mind uploading a pic of that? I'd like to know how to get one for my Bull 150 (or whatever other model I might get).

Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #35

I think you would have to get the new upgraded rear swing arm for the hitch plate to fit... not sure if the old axle/sprockets/disc brake are compatible with the new rear.

It's and easy mod to make your own hitch for a taotao.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #36

Yeah, I had one that didn't last b/c the alloy was too weak. After that, I just hitched the dump cart to the end of the swing arm, whatever you call the accessible cross bar.

Aha... I found a pic online that I could zoom in on. NICE! But your right, it looks like all the assembly would have to be there. From what I see, it's not on the new 150.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #37

Yeah looks to be the case.

The homemade hitch setup is a tough one ... I'm fine with it. Just don't use the angle iron from the crate. That stuff is too soft. Hit Home Depot or Lowes for a small section

I did pick up a Bull LED tail light from Parts Kit to swap out with the one on the Rhino.... never cared for incandescent bulbs much... mine burnt out in the first couple of trips. The price of the Bull Rims isn't bad.... at some point I will get a set.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #38

Hitch

I actually did something much simpler, and I think it's a great idea, but I just need stronger metal than I used. I got the idea from an Amazon reviewer who posted a pic. I resized it, so hopefully it's clear enough. Just a u bracket with eye bolt. Pretty cool idea I thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RhinoHitch.jpg (69.8 KB, 294 views)

Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #39

The weight I pull with my Rhino would twist and mangle that up.

If the U part extended to the cross supports on the swing arm and braced to it, it would have a chance. Not much there to stop up and down movement.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #40

Yep, wouldn't take what you're putting it through, maybe alright for those of us doing little or no climbing.

What do you think about pinning directly to the cross member support?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #41

Not to sure about that route. The welds might not hold up. A load full of logs in the yard trailer can knock some stuff around.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:22 AM   #42

Yeah that's true. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #43

I saw the mod on here for 2LZ's angle iron hitch before I bought my Rhino... it looked good enough for me to consider doing this to a Chinese ATV... it was one of the things that pushed me to get the Rhino. Had to be hitch friendly to suit my purpose for getting one VS a used name brand ATV.

When it arrived I looked the rear over good and the angle iron route still seemed to be the best way to do it. It had to be strong enough to avoid up and down stress and side to side stress on the hitch. It also had to be done in a way that didn't depend on one mount point that would possibly break some of the not so great welds.

2LZ's mod was simple enough to make and looked strong enough. After using it for two and a half seasons it's held up great. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18599

The last thing you want is this sort of stuff failing when you need it.... worse yet having it damage the frame in the process.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #44

Da Bull! Da Bull! Da Bull! Da Bull!

I just got a Bull 200 a couple weeks ago and I love it! I changed the CDI to a “high performance” one I got on Amazon for $9 and it ga e it like 8-9 more MPH. Never had a Coolster, but the shop local to my house sells both and said hey see less issues with the Tao Tao. I bet they’re real similar though. Good luck dude! They’re a blast!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #45

Good to hear the 200 is working out well. Yep, I'm pretty much settled on the Bull, but I'll have to get the 150. Looks to be plenty for what I need, better on the budget, but primarily the foot brake makes a big difference for me vs. the rear brake on the handlebar with the 200.

BTW "local to my house sells both and said hey see less issues with the Tao Tao" --> Meaning the guy sells Coolster, but he says Tao Tao has less maintenance problems?