Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Mad gio beast has fuel and spark but wont start

Hi. I have a 2009 gio beast that was running just fine until the fall. The last time it was running i was letting it warm up before taking it for a ride and it suddenly died. I wasnt able to get it started after that.

Ive checked for spark which it has. Ive squirted gas and starter fluid in the cylinder just to be sure and still nothing. Compression is 90 psi which seems awfully low.

The gas is old so im gonna try changing that next but i cant see that stopping it from starting when i drop quick start right into the hole.

Any ideas? Does that compression reading seem right?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

That seems really low, but it does depend upon your procedure.

In any case, I'd check the valves. You can remove the valve cover from head, but it is a bit of a puzzle. If it simply won't pop off for you, you can wiggle it to expose the intake valve, adjust it, and then wiggle it to expose the exhaust valve and adjust that.

This is a tutorial for the Honda CG125, but the top end and the specs are the same: http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/valve_clearance.htm

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Thanks Weldangrind, I'll have to pick up a feeler gauge and take a look at the valves.

Is there a specific procedure for testing compression on a 4 stroke ATV engine? All I did was pop the tester in the sparkplug socket, disable fuel and turn it over a few times, let it hold for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat a few times.

Is there a different method?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #4

It is typical to hold the throttle open while cranking, to maximize on air pressure. Whether or not you followed that procedure, it's a good idea to set the valves. Let us know how that works out for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #5

Maybe try cleaning the carb, I just had similar issues with a quad that had been left sitting for months. Also replace the fuel filter and fuel lines as they can get gummed up

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

No start

I know with my little 110cc gio it won't start with even a remotely low battery. It will show over 12 volts but won't start. If give it a little help with a battery charger (even 2 amp setting) it fires almost instantly. Maybe try boosting it as you try starting it.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

starting problem

Yes everyone buys regular gas.. crap.. use stabilizer if you do that... your carb may be plugged... but if you spray either into the carb( shut off the fuel supply) with the air filter off spray it into the carb with the choke open..... if you see the spray is being blown back out... your intake valves are too tight... and compression is blowing the fuel out of the carb stopping it from going into the cylinder... ( I would think you have spark.. right? ).... then adjust the valves as WELDGRIND says.... so the motor can suck fuel in to be fired.... if you can get it to run on either ... then turn the fuel back on.. and have it run on it... if it only runs on either.. not gas and you know the gas is good.. clean your carb..... I have had this problem on a lot of atvs where people leave them sit for awhile.. good luck and let us know..

Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #8

I respectfully encourage you to not use ether. Please take the time to dismantle the carb and clean the jets, and set the valves.