Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Opinions on maddog champion ct70 clone

So ive been throwing around the idea of getting a maddog champion but my friend keeps telling me its just chinese garbage. can anyone who owned/owns one tell me how it really is to ride one?

Old 07-25-2022, 05:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjo View Post
So ive been throwing around the idea of getting a maddog champion but my friend keeps telling me its just chinese garbage. can anyone who owned/owns one tell me how it really is to ride one?
There are numerous YouTube videos on the bike and a couple Facebook groups--one is a specific Icebear group and the other is a group out of England called the Dax CT70 ST70 Clones group. The one out of England had numerous members with the Icebear Champion in spite of the fact that England does not even have Icebear bikes sold there--the members were US based, and that seemed to spur someone to create an Icebear group.

Big cult following and the bikes seem decently built. I would suggest to watch the numerous videos and ask questions of those posting their videos. I do believe, like most Chinese bikes, a new carb wakes the bike up vs. the stock one, and it seems like many people have changed over suspension parts to improve the ride, as well as exhaust. Since these bikes use pitbike engines, there are numerous low-cost exhausts for them. Again, watch videos and join one or both groups on Facebook; I do not own one, but have read many, many positive posts in the DAX clone group on FB and I have also watched numerous videos on YouTube.

Contact these guys https://www.cajunmaddogs.com/ The owner is a member on the DAX group on FB and is very active. He has always stood behind the Champion and seems to offer the best deals on them.

Edit: I just noticed they have a good pre-order deal on them, but I do suggest speaking with them and asking questions on the FB group(s) and on YouTube before pre-ordering https://www.cajunmaddogs.com/product...-pbz125-2-1299

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-25-2022, 06:10 PM   #3

Here's a guy selling an original 1970 Honda CT70 for $4300 on CL. Or you can get a 125cc Champion for around 1/3 of that. I would consider the Champion the far better value, with a better carb or jetting. The friend saying it's Chinese garbage is just giving an ignorant knee-jerk reaction.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-07-2022, 03:18 AM   #4

I wouldn't say garbage,
but there is some tuning, mods, and setup that you'll want to do right off the bat.
You'll want to replace the factory chain right off, it's about as durable as dollar tree hair ties.
I went with DT from trail buddy, only slightly better, but pretty durable.
I replaced the scooter tires with Shinko 421s (original style knobbies) from Bike Bandit.
Mine used to sputter, stall and die all the time, Turned out it was the frame mounted fuel valve.
Switched to a 20mm carb with a single fuel inlet, and fixed that.

If I wanted to just use it for to-and-from school,
or just small errands just the carb and chain would have done fine.
But I use mine for trips between Tucson and Phoenix,
So I did even more mods to mine.

I don't think I'd necessarily recommend it for a first bike, but it's pretty good for the money.
JMO,
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whitey at WORK.JPG (57.1 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by superduder; 08-07-2022 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #5

Buy one

Old 08-13-2022, 09:11 PM   #6

I have a little over 1,000 miles on mine. I love it.