Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

Mototec X1

Well, after a bunch of bikes for my little one, I think I finally found a good one. Picked up a mototec X1. It was listed as a 70cc, but when it got here, I found out it was a 110cc auto. I was happy about this, lol.

It's a pretty cool bike. At first, I thought the carb had a problem, and was about to swap it out. But, when I took off the filter, I found out the choke position indicator was backwards, and it was all good. It had an issue with the starter (electric) locks up, but it seems okay with a few tries. It's also very fast. The thing launches like crazy. It takes me up to third hear to start catching up to it when I follow on my Apollo! It tops out at almost 34 mph.

The only thing I hate about it is that it has two hand brakes. I was hoping it had a foot rear brake, but it doesn't. But, it's good for the kiddo for now.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #2

Sounds like fun. Are there good trails nearby?

Old 11-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Sounds like fun. Are there good trails nearby?
Not really. We're close to big nasty ATV park and live oak motor park. But, but are closed for the foreseeable future. Everything else is about 2 hours away. There's an unfinished development we ride at, but that might end once more houses start getting built.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

This dang bike... Either the rectifier or stator is shot. Keeps killing the battery. This was too expensive to have problems like this off the bat.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

By chance, are you forgetting to turn the key off, and just shutting the bike off with a kill switch?

Old 12-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #6

Nah. It's killed two batteries to beyond being able to recharge. Leaving the key on has no effect, as the battery is only supposed to be used to activate the starter. There's no lights. My other electric start bikes almost never had the keys off. I'm looking up how to test the rectifier. Of that's good, then it's the stator. Thankfully, I have another 110 I bought earlier this year just sitting around.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:48 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Nah. It's killed two batteries to beyond being able to recharge. Leaving the key on has no effect, as the battery is only supposed to be used to activate the starter. There's no lights. My other electric start bikes almost never had the keys off. I'm looking up how to test the rectifier. Of that's good, then it's the stator. Thankfully, I have another 110 I bought earlier this year just sitting around.
So, you ARE leaving the key on. But you refuse to accept that it's a possible issue for killing batteries.

K

Have you even tested, anything or you just going to keep guessing

Old 12-27-2021, 03:27 AM   #8

This is a common problem with these engines on frying batteries. There's been a few post on it in the ATV section. From what I remember, it had to do with high voltage on the stator. I would check the output voltage on the stator and compare it to the bike you're not having issues with.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-27-2021, 03:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur View Post
So, you ARE leaving the key on. But you refuse to accept that it's a possible issue for killing batteries.

K

It doesn't matter if the key is left on these. The only time it uses power is when you start it.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur View Post

K

they key hasn't been left on. Also, my other battery start bikes are normally left with the key on, and don't kill the battery. I'll be testing the rectifier today after work.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

One time I was diagnosing an ATV, and I accidentally left the key on over the weekend... It ended up killing the battery (but not too far gone that it couldn't be recharged), and it also kept the hour meter running... My boss was pissed!

In order to contribute something useful, I would check to see that the RR isn't leaking A/C voltage to the battery. Strangely, batteries don't seem to like that!

Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
This is a common problem with these engines on frying batteries. There's been a few post on it in the ATV section. From what I remember, it had to do with high voltage on the stator. I would check the output voltage on the stator and compare it to the bike you're not having issues with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
One time I was diagnosing an ATV, and I accidentally left the key on over the weekend... It ended up killing the battery (but not too far gone that it couldn't be recharged), and it also kept the hour meter running... My boss was pissed!

In order to contribute something useful, I would check to see that the RR isn't leaking A/C voltage to the battery. Strangely, batteries don't seem to like that!
Yeah, those are things I'll look at. So far, everything is acting like when I had this same thing happen in my car when my alternator had problems. I put in a higher voltage alternator, but it was too much, and would stop charging, but the car wouldn't give a charge light until the battery was so low that it couldn't power the ignition and all the accessories. The AC voltage leaking makes sense too. Typically, with a fresh battery, bike runs like a bat out of hell. Now that I'm thinking in hindsight, about the time the bike starts running like crap, is about the time it refuses to start.

Both batteries I had in the bike both now have .01-.03 VDC Would AC voltage do that to the battery? I figured the coil would draw out enough voltage over time to completely drain the battery, but I would still expect at least 9 volts.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

It sounds like you have a short or draw somewhere... I would look over the wiring carefully. It shouldn't get that low (it could be a dead cell or two), but usually when a battery gets to be that low of a voltage, it tends to not be revivable because that low of a voltage causes a chemical phase called sulfating (a buildup of sulfur on the lead plates). It's possible that AC would get the battery hot enough to kill the cells. I would run a test to see if anything is drawing power with the key on/off.

http://testmeterpro.com/parasitic-dr...-a-multimeter/

This is for cars, but the principles are the same.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #14

Thank you!! I'm very weak with electrical side of things, so this is a humongous help.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #15

In your first post you said you had issues with the starter, is the lock up mechanical in nature or is there possibly something else wrong that would be affecting the battery?