Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds_cool63 View Post
So, I finally heard back from Advanti Auto in Mesa, AZ (6 days after I called them).

Sales guy left a voicemail stating they don't know when or IF they will get any Bashan's or other dual sports in.

Oh, well.

Guess I'll just have to order online.

Still looking, tho.
You waited 6 days for a simple answer.... not very encouraging should there have been an immediate issue you needed and answer on.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #47

Not to defend them, but I think they are a few person shop. I have always, on random calls, always spoken to the owner (can't remember his name). He must be running the show and was out of the office. My guess it is him, maybe someone clerical, and possibly a mechanic. Just my guess. But, yes, that wouldn't make me feel good ordering them if it took that long just to get an answer!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Not to defend them, but I think they are a few person shop. I have always, on random calls, always spoken to the owner (can't remember his name). He must be running the show and was out of the office. My guess it is him, maybe someone clerical, and possibly a mechanic. Just my guess. But, yes, that wouldn't make me feel good ordering them if it took that long just to get an answer!
Ah heck, culcune, you remember when a CB dealer was the "dealer de'jour". It's how my CB guy here is Sac made his living for a long time. Some "dealer" somewhere would pick up a container of Hondoids, sell half of them, then go out of business and some attorney would auction off the rest of the stock. My Sac dealer would take his flatbed trailer far and wide to buy the leftover stock and bring it back here to sell (it's how I got my X-Moto) and he's still successful to this day, albeit not buying leftover stock anymore.

I think many of these guys are just salesmen. By no means are they motorcycle aficionados. It doesn't matter what they're selling. One week CB's, on a drop-ship website with a phone number, next week shoes at the mall. I'm not saying they're all like this but they're out there.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #49

Where does the term "Hondoid" come from and what does it mean? I'm assuming it refers to copying a Honda, but wasn't quite sure.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post
Where does the term "Hondoid" come from and what does it mean? I'm assuming it refers to copying a Honda, but wasn't quite sure.
As far as everyone can tell, our engines are derived from Honda-ish designs, but there is no real Honda model these exact or near-exact engines were used in. I believe the 'oid' part of 'Hondoid' is like how the 'oid' part of 'humanoid' means a near-human as a cross species as used in science fiction. I really wish I remember who coined the term, but it stuck!

For comparison--an old Zongshen model called the Sierra (which, just to confuse us was also rebadged and sold under two other brands, one of which was Qlink for a total of 3 different brands selling the exact same bike at the same time ) used a 200cc engine that was pretty much an exact copy of one of the engines used in one or two Yamaha engines. You could literally cross shop parts.

Also, speaking of Qlink--their enduro model which replaced their Sierra model was a bike called the XF200 or XP200 which used an exact copy of the Suzuki DR200 engine. It, too, could crossover engine parts with Suzuki. (No one ever confirmed the newer and bigger engine used in the SSR XF250 [same OEM as Qlink's older XF200 enduro] is an exact clone of one of the Suzuki engines, but I have read conjecture that it is a copy of the Suzuki TU250 engine).

But, as we all know, there are really no Honda parts that can be installed and used in these engines, so now you know why they are referred to as 'Hondoid.'

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #51

OK..gotta say, that Stallion (http://www.apscusa.com/New-2017-Stal...ine_p_627.html ) is really looking like the bike for me so far.

The seat is kind of low at 28.5. I wonder if there is an option for a taller seat? If not, I can work the one it comes with, I guess.

Also, I wonder if it is legal in AZ?

Anyone have any more info on this bike? I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Thanks!

olds_cool63
=======
Johnny Pag Pagsta (replaced 50cc engine with 110cc, modded-out)
2007 Tank Vision Topline Khaos (cosmetic mods, cherry-bombs)
2005 Kymco Vitality 50 2T (70cc big bore kit, other race mods...tops out at 67mph)
2008 Hyosung GT250 (cosmetic mods)
2001 Suzuki Bandit GFS1200S (cosmetic and slight mods...150mph+)

Old 03-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #52

That's a Bashan Storm. IF it's available, it would be legal for you in AZ. That blue ones have always been my favorite.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #53

Quote:

Also, I wonder if it is legal in AZ?
Good one, old_cool63!! EVERYTHING is AZ legal as long as it has lights on it and comes with an MCO and receipt!!

That 'Stallion' is just good ol' Don badge engineering the Bashan Storm. I am guessing it is not a 2017 since they have not shown up on the 2017 EPA list. These were the Hawks of the day about 2 years ago here on Chinariders. Many happy owners; a few members only issue was a weird high-pressure issue with their gas tank in which they could not fill their tank to full to alleviate the issue. One female member arrived from Israel as a tourist last year in Utah. She bought a fully assembled leftover 2015 model and after a few months, prepped for her trip from Utah to Brooklyn, New York. She made it, no problem! She was hoping to send her bike to Israel and figure out how to be the Israeli rep there, but I don't think that ever worked out for her. Anyway, they are good bikes, but also come with those odd-ball wheel sizes like the Brozz and the Shark (but not the Enforcer). Good solid bike, however!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 PM   #54

Quote:
So, I finally heard back from Advanti Auto in Mesa, AZ (6 days after I called them).

Sales guy left a voicemail stating they don't know when or IF they will get any Bashan's or other dual sports in.

Oh, well.

Guess I'll just have to order online.

Still looking, tho.
Just saw this. I have a Storm I'm thinking of selling. If you want to make a run to Tucson, you can check it out. Great little bike, I have too many right now and don't really drive it much at all. About 3k kilometers on it. Not crashed or anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chimney-rock-1.jpg (99.0 KB, 298 views)
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #55

This is local to you, may wanna jump on it per other advice in another hawk thread

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/6050780078.html
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #56

He dropped the price to $400! That would probably be the best bet;otherwise, your Storm, Mag00 would be a good buy.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
He dropped the price to $400! That would probably be the best bet;otherwise, your Storm, Mag00 would be a good buy.
And actually it's probably only 807 MILES. Probably has a blown fuse or chafed wire
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
And actually it's probably only 807 MILES. Probably has a blown fuse or chafed wire
$400.00 Hawk would be impossible for me to pass up....As long as that motor freely turns over and you rock it through the gears there can not be anything catastrophic wrong with that bike - other than the owner.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #59

$400 !! I would jump on that. even as just a spare machine.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #60

I don't have a pickup, and I really don't want to go through the hassle of renting one, considering the bike is not working, but Phoenix, depending on what part it is, is about 3 or so hours from me. See, number 4567 of the reasons I should have bought a pickup...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150