Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
wound up with the rebound set to 2. preload i havent changed, im happy with the setting it came with.

we will have to wait to see how durable it is. but it has taken a pounding at Limestone and still feels the same.

seat height is 32 inches with this 280mm shock.
Congratulations! You've found a good answer to the rear shock problem. Not everyone has the problem (probably due to different riding styles), but for those that do, here's a solution.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #62

is there anyway you could post up your static and race sag measurements along with your weight? This would let everyone know how close the 1200lbs spring rating would work for them.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #63

yeah its 32 static, sag ill have to get someone to measure while i sit on the bike, but i would guess its 1.5" lower than static, this is at the seat, riders position. i weigh 163 lbs. theres a bit of droop as well, ill figure out how to measure that.

i have no race settings, dont do that anymore..

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #64

if i pull up on the rear its comes up to 32.5", static ie its own weight its 32"' and when i sit down its 31". hope that helps. took a spin last night and wound up dialing in more rebound dampening. so now at 3 of 10. it felt a bit springy at 2.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:21 AM   #65

Quote:
if i pull up on the rear its comes up to 32.5", static ie its own weight its 32"' and when i sit down its 31". hope that helps. took a spin last night and wound up dialing in more rebound dampening. so now at 3 of 10. it felt a bit springy at 2.
how much wheel travel dose it have ?...

1/2" static & 1-1/2" rider... seems way over sprung unless
it has 4-1/2" of total wheel travel then it's right..
It must have more than 4-1/2" of total wheel travel...
Should be quite good on the road with those settings...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
how much wheel travel dose it have ?...

1/2" static & 1-1/2" rider... seems way over sprung unless
it has 4-1/2" of total wheel travel then it's right..
It must have more than 4-1/2" of total wheel travel...
Should be quite good on the road with those settings...

FWIW, I agree with Pete.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #67

Hehe

My measurments are from the seat to the ground. i never measured wheel travel, I think would,have to take the spring off the shock to do so.

The shock itself appears to have about 4" of travel, so more at the wheel, how much I dont know. but it isnt likely doubled.

how do you come up with 4.5" wheel travel? just trying to understand!

Keep,in mind the stock shock presented zero sag, even with me on it. had no spring adjustment, or dampening adjustment, and had the bike jacked up to 35" seat,height. a day of riding it with that shock was abusive to say the least.

Maybe my bike had a substitute part on it and others have a softer shock, but it was that stiff.

My problem was seat height and stiffness. so thats what I measured throughout.

The hawk will never have the suspension my yz250 had. that would drop 4" or so when i sat down, and still have plenty left.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #68

Quote:
My measurments are from the seat to the ground. i never measured wheel travel, I think would,have to take the spring off the shock to do so.

The shock itself appears to have about 4" of travel, so more at the wheel, how much I dont know. but it isnt likely doubled.

Keep,in mind the stock shock presented zero sag, even with me on it. had no spring adjustment, or dampening adjustment, and had the bike jacked up to 35" seat,height. a day of riding it with that shock was abusive to say the least.

Maybe my bike had a substitute part on it and others have a softer shock, but it was that stiff.

My problem was seat height and stiffness. so thats what I measured throughout.

The hawk will never have the suspension my yz250 had. that would drop 4" or so when i sat down, and still have plenty left.
All right. 4 inches at the shock mount. Don't see how it can be less than 6 inches at the wheel. Question in my mind is the spring rate. Never the less, you've done some very beneficial altering and testing, for which we should all be appreciative.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #69

Quote:

your quoted rider sag of 1-1/2" X3 = 4-1/2" should be your total
wheel travel if you have got the sags right.... but I don't think
you have as it must have more than 4-1/2" of wheel travel...

not all bumps come up so the wheel needs to be able to travel
down/out for the bumps that drop away..
you need travel in both directions.....

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post

FWIW, I agree with Pete.
be very careful it could be come a habbit....

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 09-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #71

Quote:
be very careful it could be come a habbit....

I thought only rabbits had the habbit.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #72

Quote:
your quoted rider sag of 1-1/2" X3 = 4-1/2" should be your total
wheel travel if you have got the sags right.... but I don't think
you have as it must have more than 4-1/2" of wheel travel...

not all bumps come up so the wheel needs to be able to travel
down/out for the bumps that drop away..
you need travel in both directions.....

At the risk of offending pete, I think he means that without adequete sack (or sag), the suspension cannot respond to hollows, only bumps. Which means the bike will sail over the hollows, breaking traction because of its in-ability to follow the terrain. Lack of sack is caused by too heavy a rear spring. Even my 1952 AJS 350 had two inches of sack, out of a total of 4 1/2 inches of spring travel, at the wheel, and they worked pretty well. That bike had "Teledraulic" rears, quite big around. Jampots was their nick-name.

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 09-22-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #73

so the rider sag should be a third of the total travel regardless how much sag the bike has under its own weight?

I sould measure the total travel and the sag at the shock, since I can see the travel there without having to exercising it. probly use millimeters.

would I account for the bump stop?

There is room to loosen the spring preload some without the spring becomming loose in the perches. I have not touched the preload setting as of yet. it is probly just some random amount by feel during assembly of the shock.

It explains alot about the way this bike handled with the stock shock and virtually zero sag. and perhaps why I'm so satisfied with it even if its not Ideal.

I'll try and make the recomended changes Tommorow Night as I'm taking it to Limestone again Saturday.

I have some footage of me riding/falling there with the stock shock, Ill take some more with the tuned replacement and we can compare.

I also added a bead lock to the rear tire and lowered the tire pressure to 23 psi for the trails, where the first ride it had like 35 psi to prevent tearing the stem off the tube. so that makes a big difference as well. Ill try to get the stock ride footage up on youtube tonight. and post a like here.

The difference should be obvious.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #74

Quote:
so the rider sag should be a third of the total travel regardless how much sag the bike has under its own weight?

I sould measure the total travel and the sag at the shock, since I can see the travel there without having to exercising it. probly use millimeters.

would I account for the bump stop?

There is room to loosen the spring preload some without the spring becomming loose in the perches. I have not touched the preload setting as of yet. it is probly just some random amount by feel during assembly of the shock.

It explains alot about the way this bike handled with the stock shock and virtually zero sag. and perhaps why I'm so satisfied with it even if its not Ideal.

I'll try and make the recomended changes Tommorow Night as I'm taking it to Limestone again Saturday.

I have some footage of me riding/falling there with the stock shock, Ill take some more with the tuned replacement and we can compare.

I also added a bead lock to the rear tire and lowered the tire pressure to 23 psi for the trails, where the first ride it had like 35 psi to prevent tearing the stem off the tube. so that makes a big difference as well. Ill try to get the stock ride footage up on youtube tonight. and post a like here.

The difference should be obvious.
On the subject of the rubber bump stops, these are really part of the spring effect. The add a lot of "spring" rate at the end of the stroke to prevent sudden bottoming (or topping) out. So they are part of the suspension. Great job, adding a bead lock. If you have a bicycle pump, you can try even lower tire pressure on your Saturday ride. If you are still running stock inner tubes, front and rear, I wouldn't lower the rear below about 20 psi. What are you running the front at? If you are riding the bike to Livingston, be careful about lowering tire pressure. Long walk home, pushing a bike. But if you like the way it handles with lower tire pressures, buy Michelin heavy duty natural rubber tubes. They are a lot tougher. You are keeping you spokes nice and snug, right?

Old 09-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
On the subject of the rubber bump stops, these are really part of the spring effect. The add a lot of "spring" rate at the end of the stroke to prevent sudden bottoming (or topping) out. So they are part of the suspension. Great job, adding a bead lock. If you have a bicycle pump, you can try even lower tire pressure on your Saturday ride. If you are still running stock inner tubes, front and rear, I wouldn't lower the rear below about 20 psi. What are you running the front at? If you are riding the bike to Livingston, be careful about lowering tire pressure. Long walk home, pushing a bike. But if you like the way it handles with lower tire pressures, buy Michelin heavy duty natural rubber tubes. They are a lot tougher. You are keeping you spokes nice and snug, right?

tires are at 23 psi rear and 25 front.. rear tube has been replaced. front is stock.

Were hauling the machines in a trailer to Limestone, its about 2 hours south on the Pensilvania border, about 5 or 10 miles north of Bradford.. "Oil Country". Its interesting to see the old and new equipment in the woods.
you do have to be carefull that stuff would hurt to crash into.