Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Fuel Tank leak

Firstly sorry to anyone who has noticed my relentless questions and lack of contribution. I've had my Zong only a few weeks and it's a steep learning curve for me. I can only promise some great photos once shes running as she should be.

So todays problem...I've noticed a very strong smell of petrol in my garage, finally decided that it'ls too strong to be normal. I removed the fuel tank securing bolt and lifted it up slightly. Sure enough there is an ever so slow but regular drip of fuel from the rear left handside corner underneath the tank. Its hard to tell if the fuel is leaking from here or if its running here from somewhere else. All the connectors look ok.

Could anyone give any advice where to start looking for the source? What it the best way to remove the tank/fuel?
Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Hi Qwert,

Best bet is to invert the tank and look at the connections. You have two quick-connects for the fuel pump/fuel filter which lock with a positive click, then there are two rubber hose connections that are just pushed into a barbed nipple. Lastly, there's the fuel level sender which has its own gasket.

Start by wrapping the top of the tank in a towel or bubble wrap (to prevent scratches), and put a rubber mat or towel on top of the frame behind the fuel tank. You'll pull back on the tank and turn on its side. You won't get too far due to two electrical connections for the fuel level sender and fuel pump. Undo those connections and you should have enough hose length to invert the tank and check the rubber hose connections.

My guess is that one of the pressed on rubber hoses has come loose. Double check those hoses for cracks and, if none found, you can use a plastic zip-tie to secure the hose on the barbed nipple. While there, double check your fuel injection lines by squeezing both tabs on each of the lines and wiggling back. Once free, make sure the area is clean before re-attaching the hoses.

Hope that helps to identify and cure the leak!

Last edited by rtking; 10-30-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

BTW, questions are good as we are all learning!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

This tutorial on valve adjustments will show you how to remove the fuel tank with pics. Basically you remove the seat, side panels and then tank.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Great stuff guys thanks. I'll try tomorrow. If I'm inverting the tank does it need to be empty or will it stay sealed? I had a thought thst it's dripping from the rear left side as thst where it would naturally go with bike on its side stand, even if it's leaking from a different location. I'll keep you updated!

Old 10-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

As usual, these guys gave you excellent advice.

After you turn the fuel tank on its side, if the tank is near full, it is likely to drip a little petrol from the cap. If the fuel lines are not fully snapped onto the fuel pump or fuel filter, they will also leak some fuel, until you press the lines fully into position. In short, be prepared to spill a little more fuel, until you find the leak.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

Ok, so followed your advice. Got the tank inverted and had a good look. One connector was a bit loose but dry and definitely not leaking. I cleaned and dried the underside then sat and waited.... Slowly a drop formed on the bottom edge of the tank. Upon closer inspection fuel seems to be seeping out from underneath the fuel tank next to where the main retaining bolt goes. Specifically from under some kind of strengthing plate underneath. Very slow but definitely a leak. Anyone e any ideas? I see CSC has tanks in Stock so I may just go ahead and order one. Thanks again for help

Old 10-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Ok, so followed your advice. Got the tank inverted and had a good look. One connector was a bit loose but dry and definitely not leaking. I cleaned and dried the underside then sat and waited.... Slowly a drop formed on the bottom edge of the tank. Upon closer inspection fuel seems to be seeping out from underneath the fuel tank next to where the main retaining bolt goes. Specifically from under some kind of strengthing plate underneath. Very slow but definitely a leak. Anyone e any ideas? I see CSC has tanks in Stock so I may just go ahead and order one. Thanks again for help
That sounds like a crack in the tank as there isn't any connections there. Give them a call today, I think they're there until 5:00 pacific. Maybe they can help and send a replacement under warranty?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Can you show us a picture? I'm very curious.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2015, 01:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
That sounds like a crack in the tank as there isn't any connections there. Give them a call today, I think they're there until 5:00 pacific. Maybe they can help and send a replacement under warranty?
That gentleman is in the United Kingdom. Since he doesn't list his location, I made the same mistake as you, until he made a reference to Katflap.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That gentleman is in the United Kingdom. Since he doesn't list his location, I made the same mistake as you, until he made a reference to Katflap.
Ah! Thanks Spud, and apologies to Qwert.

I wonder, if there is indeed a crack, this could be repaired by welding?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

Thanks for the continued interest and help. I am indeed in the UK where the importer support isn't as great as what you guys get from CSC.
Should have some photos now if drop box works. Very hard to see but I've arrowed it as best I can. Checked again today, same as yesterday , seeping out from beneath joint. Everything else looks good, is it simply a case of unbolting the fuel pump etc and removing it or is this hard to remove?

First photo shows it after I wiped it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xyg7t4qc1...04485.JPG?dl=0

Second photo shows the area after a about a minute. Again hard to see but definitely fuel leaking out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytqqrhc6k4dty27/leak.JPG?dl=0

And all well with the connections
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhl4a9xmzl...04484.JPG?dl=0

Old 11-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Ah! Thanks Spud, and apologies to Qwert.

I wonder, if there is indeed a crack, this could be repaired by welding?
A buddy of mine has a Harley I worked on with this exact symptom but his tank was aftermarket. The welded strap under the tank that the mount bolt went through would slowly weep at the weld seam. We had it welded and it would only last so long before weeping again. It was discovered that the mount bolt would put sideways pressure on the strap as it was not perfectly aligned with the bolt hole, so it was a matter of time before the shake and vibration would re-crack it.
Like others here, my suggestion is replace the tank under warranty.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #14

Yes, if you remove the bolts you can carefully withdraw the fuel pump from the tank. Do you have a leak coming from the fuel pump gasket? If so, you will definitely need to replace the gasket when you re-install the fuel pump. If it isn't leaking from this area, I wouldn't remove the fuel pump.

You can purchase a new fuel tank from Taobao, in any of the standard colors.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=10#detail

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...=1&abbucket=10

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #15

It looks like the weld may have burned right through the tank.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer