Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #31

So I got the apollo fairly well jetted and tuned yesterday~ starts easy, idles good, good throttle response. Also yesterday got everything on both bikes fastened to my liking and lock tite on the key areas. The xpro needs a diff carb and jets but those parts are not yet on hand. Took both bikes to a local recreational track today. I put a couple laps on the xpro and the rear is too soft, but overall very manageable even with the throttle response being off. The Apollo felt a lot better overall in the ride department over whoops, small jumps, and off the berm... also being jetted more close to what it needs the Apollo felt like an altogether different engine than the xpro. I imagine the xpro will feel a lot better once I adjust the rear shock and get another carb on it.

Cons today:
The xpro:
Stock clutch and front brake pedals have bolts in them to adjust the pull at the grip and, although seemingly a nice touch, I am not a fan. Even with two nuts and thread lock the front brake lever adjusting screw worked loose and fell out on my son.
The xpro has a cheap shitty fuse under the seat that shit the bed about 45 mins into the ride. This ended the ride for that bike today, but we grabbed some 30A name brand fuses on the way home and will add those to the tool kit for future rides.

The Apollo:
For today there were zero real issues aside from I am going to adjust the chain a bitter tighter than what the sticker on the bike recommends as it just seems a bit loose to me and slaps around a bit, yes I added a new lower chain guard so it wasnt that. The Apollo went about 90 mins or so of laps around the park(whoops, berms, small jumps etc) up and into 4th gear wide open. One prob a bit too much over the main track jump of about 6-8 ft with a couple feet of air, no problem.
Overall The appolo is a pain in the ass to work on as the plastics dont fit well and are a bitch to get on and off the bike. Additionally, the frame design makes getting a carb on or off a chore.

More to come as stuff develops, or mods happen. For now, I am happy with the value to fun ratio of both bikes and expect both to hold up fine for trail riding which is what we really go them for. The track today was to get a feel for the bikes and just see how they hold up. Really glad I decided to go to that park and didn't head off into the national forest without a pocket full of fuses ~~~ that would have really sucked.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #32

I think the reason you like the apollo more is its a trail bike and the xpro is a lower end MX style bike and lighter in design. The apollo you can ride mostly comfortable on the seat. The xpro is almost always standing on a track so you can distribute the suspension and weight at every bump and the xpro is a 125 usually for smaller people like teenagers in most cases for chinese 125cc bikes.

The xpro isnt as fast as the apollo but if you change the sprockets on the xpro and do some Carb work like you have already throught of it will have a bunch of more snap throttle response and acceleration. A 47 rear and 12 front with a MX gold chain will do you alot with that bike. the jetting you will see some more consitent power over the entire operation of the bike just like with the apollo but i will admit the apollo gets alot more from the carb work.

Theres a bunch of rear shocks on amazon you can swap for both bikes and you defiantly want a reservoir shock for the apollo if your taking it on a track. Also if your going onto a MX style track dont hit any jumps with the battery and such installed unless youve done a really good rear shock upgrade. These bikes are trail bikes hitting a 5 ft jump with this bike will destroy the rear plastics and air box.

-Zong db36 233cc engine w/ titanium valves, ported exh.
-WizeCo 11:1 piston
-CRF230 Athena big bore cylinder
-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-HF K&N Pod Filter and intake
-1/4 fuel lines and valves w/ plastic tank
-HR handle bars and MX pully controls
-CRF230 SHOWA fork
-Oversized MX brakes & rotors
-17T 46T (3.07 Gear ratio) JT Sprockets with a D.I.D gold MX chain
-Keihin pwk30 30mm carburetor 115main/35pilot

Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #33

I initially started this thread saying I would compare the bikes and am continuing to do so as time goes on.

I dont dislike the xpro, which is a 250 with the exact same engine btw, I just need to adjust some things to make it better. Didnt mean to make the narrative sound like the xpro is bad, its not at all a bad bike it just has some small issues(clutch and brake levers, missing parts, bad bolts, shock way to soft) I have yet to address whereas on the apollo, other than the really fat frame and the garbage stock carb, it is fine out of the box.

Sorry if my message wasnt clear it was really just the diff in hones real life experiences so far from unboxing through the first rides.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #34

Just a quick update. Nothing ground breaking but didn't want to appear as if I dropped off the face of the planet. I have both bikes updated with the vm26-30mm fake mikuni from amazon which come with a marked as 100/42 jet setup. The markings are not correct. The carb as shipped just needs the air mixture adjusted and the slide needle tweaked for my altitude and they are working well. Waiting on the plastic tank to arrive for the apollo, it was shipped from the Netherlands but I am pretty sure it is on a sailboat somewhere at the moment. Both bikes have had a few test rides on a local track, nothing too demanding. I keep checking the lock tited bolts and stuff and so far so good. New tank or not, both bikes are going up into the Bighorn National Forest trails/wilderness next week and will give an update thereafter. About 4-5 hours on each so far no real issues.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #35

Enjoying the thread . Keep posting up when you can , I'm definitely following along

Old 08-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #36

I do wish the X-Pro had a gas gauge. Haven't ran out on the trail, but have on the road once. Right across the street from a gas station, so not far of a push. But that is quite annoying wondering about the gas level. Haven't taken out my extra fuel tank, need to start doing that I guess. I'm pretty impressed with my X-Pro so far. I did have it fall over on the trailer once on the way to get it inspected before plates, and nothing happened to it. Nothing bent or broke - was so surprised.

The catless pipe off Orion's website is perfect for the X-Pro as well. I just got mine on not too long ago. Can't go out for a ride because of rain - but patiently waiting to see the difference. I think they claim a 3-5HP increase.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #37

So to update and sorry for the delay, had fam visiting. The day long trail ride went pretty well, except the knockoff carb on the apollo decided to lose the fuel air mix adjustment screw 3 hrs into the ride. Shit happens, i get it. After this I decided to put on a nibbi carb and mod the bike with a new air filter and etc. I did get the orion plastic tank in and am waiting on the new carb setup to arrive to get it all buttoned up. Pictures from the ride you say... yeah I will get them uploaded in a day or so.
\
The xpro, btw. Running like a champ and no big issues. The forks bottom too easy imo and I will be upping the fork oil volume soon to see if that will remedy that. I also adjusted the stock settings on the rear shock to stiffen it a bit and it is working fine.

more and pics from the wyoming countryside to come.

PS kibbles made some valve lash lash adjustment tools with his 3d printer and was kind enough to send me one......... its in transit since 19th... usps, who I work for, has it strapped on a turtle slow walking it across the country. I will update when it arrives as to how using it goes.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:14 AM   #38

Ok small update, and a few pics from the ride. I know I took better ones but apparently I failed at actually taking them, not sure what happened. The plastic tank from holland arrived so I took everything apart since I am gonna be putting on the new carb in a few days. While apart I went ahead and set the valve lash, no i dont have the tool from kibbles its lost in the mail :( , so it was a bit tedious, and I took the time to make a bracket for the plastic tank(it is quite secure). Short update after the carb is jetted, installed with airbox mods and tested ... so maybe next week.
Oh, on the xpro~ holding off on modding that as my son wants to see how mine turns out, but other than needing to pull the top off and set the lash as I suspect it is off as well, the xpro starts and runs pretty well... plugs are just showing a bit hot but not so much it is an emergency so he is hesitant to pony up the cash. :0

Hope this is informative and fun to follow, more to follow as it happens. pics to follow when the site stops being quirky.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #39

bracket pics

uploading pics to this site is such a pain in the ass. The trip pics are just going to have to wait until I figure out a way to do this without making the pics 3 pixels by 3 pixels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 257 trys.jpg (82.5 KB, 171 views)

Old 09-01-2021, 11:10 PM   #40

Woooooaaaaaah man - I got you covered.. check your inbox.

Image uploads: https://imgbb.com/ - easiest solution I've found to upload.

I'm liking the updates man; following! I need to get out on mine again and hit some trails. Thanks to all the storms and such, I haven't been able to go out anywhere. I did get to test the catless pipe, finally. Got up to 75MPH barely pushing it. Didn't want to blow a tire or anything so I took it at face value lol though, I am running a little more rich now. Gotta fix the mix soon.. Interesting with the tank - just a personal preference for a plastic one over metal? I kind of wish mine was metal so I could use one of those magnetic bag things. No need to now, I got a bike GPS last week. I'm waiting to see the results between the two honestly - the Apollo was going to be my first option over the X-Pro.

Slightly off topic - anyone have an idea on where to attach power supply after ignition so the GPS turns on with the bike? I don't think the rectifier turns on with the key.. maybe? I don't have the best of schematics in the book to go off of either lol I do have taps, ghetto solution in a pinch, but it'll work for what I need.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:06 AM   #41

Few things. The plastic tank imo is a must have. The metal tank has many issues as it is shipped. It rides on the frame, loosely(vibration) and will eventually fail somewhere likely leaking gas. Plus the whole key to open it thing, no thanks.

The question about the power circuit, havent looked into it but should be easy just turn the key on and probe your harness for a hot wire with a multimeter..headlight will def have one if its not too much of a drain you are adding and it shouldn't be.

Another thing I have a NIbbi carb arriving tomorrow, which I will make work but I followed the advice of a FB post and bought an adapter which the fb post said was good...... well it isnt. I will make it work but the bolt holes do not line up and it is not a clean path for intake as the machining makes the internal path have restrictions. I am modding and it will be fine but it is not a bolt on. Here is the link to the supposed bolt on that is not a plug and play.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224058441230
To be more clear the adapter is supposed to mount on the intake manifold where the stock carb mounts, but it really doesnt fit. The premise being you have the intake side of the head and then the metal manifold, then the adaptor, then the carb. Seems good, but as said the ebay adaptor does not line up.

Why is the nibbi carb mod not plug and play? you may ask.

The nibbi carb exit is a round 30 mm aperture, whereas the stock shit carb has a two bolt manifold incorporated. The adapter would be great if it was machined correctly but either it was designed for something else entirely, or it is just a shit design. The bolt holes on the adapter do not line up for the appolo db-36 stock manifold, and even after drilling out the mainfold bolt holes to make them larger once that is done the internal pathing for the combustion material is restricted by poor machining. Plus even after machining the bolt holes to fit, the next issue is that because of the angle on the flange the bolts have to be really short and small heads(IE cap screws with no flange. I will try to update with pics for how I remedy this.

Another method for making the nibbi fit would be to just cut off the manifold flange and use a short piece of radiator hose with radiator clamps between the manifold and the carb. But I paid for the adaptor and I intend to try to make it work.

More later and intent to upload pics of the mods.

Last edited by Cheapascanb; 09-02-2021 at 02:49 AM.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #42

Intentions be damned. The only way to make the nibbi work is to cut the flange off and use a small piece of hose to connect between that and the carb. Using the adaptor I previously linked puts the carb into the frame at the top and in a place near the back of the carb where the shock travel will definitely be too close for comfort. So now I will be elminating the EGR and all that bs as well since I had to cut right where they connected all of that on the manifold. I mocked it all up minus a filter as that is going to take some plumbing. Hit the button and boom it fired right off no choke, but its idling was way too high. After checking things I noticed that the throttle was not fully allowing the slide to bottom out in the carb. The cable was already adjusted full slack and the only way I could fix it was to remove the throttle assembly and use a razor to whittle a bit off of the plastic travel stop where the cable is connected which allowed for full throttle assembly travel. I could have bought another cable and throttle from Nibbi I guess, but then how can I have any sense of accomplishment in doing that...

I changed the pilot, and the main jets up one size(larger) from how it was shipped. The needle jet is in the middle, or 3rd groove. With those setting I have the mix screw at about 1 turn out and it runs really nice. The throttle is crisp and snappy and it revs right up to screaming. No backfires, popping, bogging or otherwise. Now again There is not filter so I am sure adjustments will need to be made once all of that is in place.
As for the filter what I am doing is I have removed the snorkel from the airbox and will be epoxying, plastic welding or otherwise securing and sealing one of the plastic sandwiched stock foam filters over that large hole and then cutting a hole in that for a hose to run through from the carb into the box where a nibbi cone filter will reside.

Ran out of time today, and my next opp to lay into it will be Saturday so I will update from there.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #43

Carb is in

Ok so the nibbi will work with the apollo db but it is a tedious task. The nibbi filter will not fit between the carb and the shock. I did not want it out of the filter box anyways, but just stating that for anyone that might want to know that bit of info. It was definitely trial and error but the steps are pretty much.

1. Remove stock manifold and cut it right where the stock EGR nipple is inserted into the pipe.
2. Go ahead and remove the whole egr assembly and fab a plate for the head and block that port off.
3. Remove the snorkle from the stock airbox, clean whatever the F that glue is globbed all over the airbox off with some solvent.
4. options here... you could enclose the box with a plastic plate and cut a 2" hole in it to accept the hose or I opted to take one of the stock filters and cut it to fit. I sealed it onto the airbox with high strength flexible gasket maker(its quite rugged one it is hard but easy to cut down the road).
5. Get a 2" piece of reinforce hose and cut about a 2 1/2" sleeve to use between manifold and carb.
6. Buy a 2"x2" rubber plumbing coupler and muscle that onto the intake side of the carb, followed by about a 5" long piece of the 2" reinforced hose into the other side of the plumbing coupler to the airbox.
7. Curse a lot, and throw some things while trying to get the nibbi filter onto the 2" hose inside that tiny airbox... eventually it will go on.
** had to remove some of the plastic ribs inside the airbox to get the filter to fit... yeah that part is fun.

Some additional notes. The spring included in the nibbi carb is a bit weak, so much so that the throttle return was sticky. I added the stock carb spring so both are in the carb and that solved the issue. *additionally as mentioned before the travel of the Nibbi carb is more than allowed by the stock throttle assembly. To remedy you have to remove the throttle assembly from the handlebar and shave a bit more than an 1/8" from the stop plastic with a razor knife.

Test ride on Monday.

https://ibb.co/gycWxRn
https://ibb.co/r5wKk4B
https://ibb.co/jJMfCkX

Old 09-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #44

few pics of some Wyo from the last ride

I will make an effort to get some better stuff Monday as we are going much further in to the back country, or well at least we intend to. The truck overlooking below is around 7500 ft for some perspective.

https://ibb.co/NY0WrQ7
https://ibb.co/KNZpxjd
https://ibb.co/wC6FHMf
https://ibb.co/3pM3Fg4
https://ibb.co/6YsYN3Z
https://ibb.co/0940smZ
https://ibb.co/26Q7pWb

Old 09-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #45

Was the Nibbi worth the trouble?

Yeah, yeah it really is. Jetted with a 115, 45 and 1.75 out on the mix seems to be perfect for my setup and 4.5-9k altitude stomping grounds(adjustability is way easier with both idle and mix accessible on the side of the carb)... power delivery was smooth as butter from idle through and to wide open and snappy at all points therein. We rode about 60 miles or so today and I have to say the bike is really fun to ride now. Unfortunately now I have to work some similar magic on the xpro. The area we were riding was national forest with 2 way traffic dirt roads, and trails scattered around. On both the trails and the roads he could not keep up and I wasnt pushing the bike hard. Some of that is def experience, but we swapped for a bit and yeah the power difference is very noticeable.

Pictures... er yeah about that. Stopped at the first nice vista and realized I left my phone in the truck.

Got a business trip for the next ten days and hope we can get back up there shortly thereafter - so more to come.