Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2021, 01:31 AM   #16

ok 0-25% throttle i got you.

there is a cap atthe top of the carb that the throttle cable goes to

under that cap is a slider and a needle under that... you might need to watch a video how to take the cable off and not want to rip it apart as it takes practice to get these things off and on fast.

once the needle is out of the slider change the clip position from 3(middle) to up one or down one

if you move it up one it will lean out your bike at 0-25% throttle
if you move it down one it will rich the bike at 0-25% throttle

its a good thing to note you really should have access to a mixture screw when you do tuning.. overall if you want to fix the condition you should swap the carb

-Zong db36 233cc engine w/ titanium valves, ported exh.
-WizeCo 11:1 piston
-CRF230 Athena big bore cylinder
-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-HF K&N Pod Filter and intake
-1/4 fuel lines and valves w/ plastic tank
-HR handle bars and MX pully controls
-CRF230 SHOWA fork
-Oversized MX brakes & rotors
-17T 46T (3.07 Gear ratio) JT Sprockets with a D.I.D gold MX chain
-Keihin pwk30 30mm carburetor 115main/35pilot

Old 07-25-2021, 01:35 AM   #17

o shit wait dont do that !!!! i forgot they have the top cap disabled with a thread plug... ugh im not sure what to do with that stock carb with out tools.

if you can get the cap off then do what i suggested but if you dont get the thread lock off its going to rip the threads off and youll need to change it anyways

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 07-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #18

ok so you dont know the stock jetting on that shit carb? its all good I will prob just put the mikuni knockoff in and go from the the supplied jets 100/42... adjust from there. Yeah im active on this forum and intend to be for the haul so I will be around. Thanks man

Old 07-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #19

Yeah Ill get the cap off ... no worries

Old 07-25-2021, 01:50 AM   #20

i robbed the stock carb for these bikes of the jets and the only two weird ones i have are the 112 and 39 so thats more likly the jets off the carb it comes with

definatly dont run the mikuni with a 100 main sir its will do almost the same as your dont like right now. just a heads up so you dont get frustrated because if you pull the carb for a change then when you rejet it because its not doing what you want youll be pulling it off again to do the jets. up to you of course just the leg work to do carb work on this bike can get tedious.

hope the swap goes well post if ya need anything

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 07-25-2021, 01:57 AM   #21

alright, ill swap in a 120 main and start from there. I will leave the plastics off once i start til i get it in range. again thanks for the info. I will advise ofc what I end up with. appreciate your and all replies

Old 07-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #22

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapascanb View Post
alright, ill swap in a 120 main and start from there. I will leave the plastics off once i start til i get it in range. again thanks for the info. I will advise ofc what I end up with. appreciate your and all replies
115 120 125 130 are the only main jets youll need but the 120 should be it unless you get a rich plug when going full WOT and shutting it off with clutch in... then go to the 115. i ran a 120 till i did the compression upgrade then my main and pilot had to go down

good luck man hope the tuning isnt a pain in the ass. Took me 26 times to fully feel confident i tried everything and picked my favorite set up for my configuration but the jet specs and tuning values i posted before are all from stock apollo 250rx owners with a mikuni vm26

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 07-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #23

looked on orion for a plastic tank, and the only one listed doesnt look correct. Did you have to fab up some mounts for it or something? The link for the tank listed is https://www.orionpowersports.com/pla...0-and-z20-max/
or maybe the right tank is not being sold anymore...

Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #24

Ok, so today my son got called in so the ride was scratched. I had nothing but time so I pulled the tank and plastic. Fought with that mickey mouse setup and finally got the garbage carb out. I wanted to see what jets were in it but only had a drill to work with so drilled off the base screws and pulled it apart. LOL, the jets in it have no indication for what size they are at all. So I put the clone carb with the 100 and 42 in the bike figuring it can't be any worse, sat the tank on it put a little go juice in and pushed the button. The bike fired right up and the throttle response is instant with no bog or other symptoms when on the gas. I have jets coming in a few days, and will adjust if needed.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #25

Wink frame mod to keep tank from rubbing or vibrating

Had it apart today so snapped pics of the mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank 1 a.jpg (77.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg tank 2.jpg (117.3 KB, 190 views)

Old 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Ok, so today my son got called in so the ride was scratched. I had nothing but time so I pulled the tank and plastic. Fought with that mickey mouse setup and finally got the garbage carb out. I wanted to see what jets were in it but only had a drill to work with so drilled off the base screws and pulled it apart. LOL, the jets in it have no indication for what size they are at all. So I put the clone carb with the 100 and 42 in the bike figuring it can't be any worse, sat the tank on it put a little go juice in and pushed the button. The bike fired right up and the throttle response is instant with no bog or other symptoms when on the gas. I have jets coming in a few days, and will adjust if needed.
LMAO a 100 and a 42 im surprised they run like this... im apologize i was wrong i wonder where i got those two weird jets then hmm weird.

i sent you a link to the proper plastic tank and make sure you get a gas cap for it (rx) as it doesnt come with one. they arent cheap beware and dont forget the pool noodle for under the tank or youll be buying a new one if it wares out.

once you get that carb and jets in it should feel like a different type of bike all together.

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 PM   #27

No update on the apollo, waiting on some parts and stuff. Nothing was broken, well the bottom chain alignment/guard was mangled so I took that off but really just things I am going to change(jets, tank).
The xpro came in today, and I have to say that it is packaged more completely assembled and easier to wrestle out of the crate IMO(my son and I had it out of the crate and rolling on both wheels in 20 mins or so), but to be fair it is not 100% assembled. The engine in the xpro is at a different angle in the chassis and as such the kickstart is at an angle that leaves less travel, but seems adequate enough. The battery/air cleaner joint area is, uh, odd . I will follow up on the xpro filter/battery area after getting it all assembled which is on hold pending a carb, and a nice gash on my finger healing :( . I mentioned the chassis being diff on the xpro~ there is a good deal more room afforded on the xpro as the frame is just tubing instead of the slab of shaped medal down the side of the apollo and it appears carb tuning/maintenance would be much easier. More later.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #28

Quote:
No update on the apollo, waiting on some parts and stuff. Nothing was broken, well the bottom chain alignment/guard was mangled so I took that off but really just things I am going to change(jets, tank).
The xpro came in today, and I have to say that it is packaged more completely assembled and easier to wrestle out of the crate IMO(my son and I had it out of the crate and rolling on both wheels in 20 mins or so), but to be fair it is not 100% assembled. The engine in the xpro is at a different angle in the chassis and as such the kickstart is at an angle that leaves less travel, but seems adequate enough. The battery/air cleaner joint area is, uh, odd . I will follow up on the xpro filter/battery area after getting it all assembled which is on hold pending a carb, and a nice gash on my finger healing :( . I mentioned the chassis being diff on the xpro~ there is a good deal more room afforded on the xpro as the frame is just tubing instead of the slab of shaped medal down the side of the apollo and it appears carb tuning/maintenance would be much easier. More later.
Filter / box is pretty odd on those, I have the X-Pro myself. I was running the TwinAir oiled blue filter for the YZ450 - great filter if you're keeping the airbox stock! I got the 30mm clone carb, tuned up now, and yes the area under the seat to get into the carb is MUCH nicer than most others - I can even get my little flat head in there to the mix screw. Haven't had to change batteries out yet, about a year on mine now still good. Kick start hits my right foot peg, left some good marks on the kick lever lol I can say yes the unboxing and put-together was very easy, almost 80% assembled! Seems pretty lubed up when I got mine - linkage needed just a dab of grease. You will be changing carbs pretty quick, mine was off and swapped in under a week. I am running a pod filter now, just for more air and bigger jets. Engine - yes, these do have a slightly different engine than the Hawks and some of the others, it IS a SOHC setup though, valves are pretty simple to get to; I would take the tank off and slide it back - perfect room. Only one bolt holding it in place. I maaaay get another TwinAir filter and go back to stock air box though - even with the stock box, I hit 80MPH with that bike on I81; and the bigger jets. Glad to see another one out there! I was beginning to think I was the only one that got one of the X-Pro's! I got the KTM orange lol

Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #29

Quote:
and so you know what im talking about.... its from idle up so 0-25%.... the rest of the throttle seems fine but it backfires after letting off so overall lean
I had some backfiring when I was using the filter that came with it - are you on the stock filter; and if so is it oiled? If it isn't oiled, this *could* contribute to the backfiring. Once I got (for my X-Pro) the TwinAir YZ450 filter, all backfiring went away, down-rev and all. If you have some high weight oil around, you can use that - just toss it in a bag, drop some oil around the filter and massage it in nice'n'good like lol But, could be a little too rich and spitting that fuel into the exhaust and dieseling - which is why I got my new carb I could tune up. Needle placement was a big help too, no more bog on idle blip. Turns out, middle position for my needle was restricting the flow on a quick throttle blip - now it's nice and aggressive. Once I got the right mix (to the best of my ability) going into the engine, I don't have so much violent vibrations at higher speeds now either. Would note I got a hotter ignition coil and an NGK Iridium plug too - that's a big must. The stock plug is.. well, I don't want to get moderated lol but it's bad.. Wrong gap, barely made a seal.. I even had to clip the ends and make new contact from the coil to the plug boot - was poorly slapped together foolishly and not making good contact with the center lead. But, for some reason - the oiled filter took out all my backfiring issues and smoothed the whole RPM range out. The stock filter is yellow with an orange brim, cone / pyramid shape and literally dry as a sarcophagus lol Just a tip - dunno if that'll help out or not!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #30

ok got the xpro assembled today. I was waiting on jets and a carb but this bike has more room to work and seems easy, well easier to replace so why not slap it together right? Yeah so a few things: One of the battery brackets was missing, and after barely snugging the bolts in the handlebars one of them stripped. The nut was just spinning in place and the bars were still moveable if that gives an idea as to how loose the bolts were.... Trip to the local hardware and some grade 8 bolts later and those bars are tight!!! $10 fix. The battery bracket, well, i gave it some thought and they look like pipe hold downs so a few measurements and on the same trip grabbed a pack of 3/4 pipe hold downs and drilled a hole in the top and now that is fixed. The bike started pretty easily but wouldnt stay running without the choke being on half choke. Ok so its lean, I assumed it would be. It runs a bit better after warming but its def lean so the carb will be replaced, b/c the shit one in it is not worth modding to make it adjustable imo. Rode it around the house a few laps and it seems ok minus the feathering need due to the carb issue, although the suspension is really soft in the rear. I will adjust the shock once my spanner arrives and see if I can get that acceptable. Another week or so and I should have these out on the trails and will give a more in depth review/comparison along with some pics of the bikes and some Wyoming beauty in the background. One final note, I have not messed with the filters on either bike yet. I will oil them and see how much that helps the lean condition. I am sure it will some but I suspect that I will have to upgrade both and do some modding before I am comfortable with it.