Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Megelli 250r

just for starters i've spent some time tonight uploading to photobucket 31 photos up to view for now and i'll get to filling in the story http://s440.photobucket.com/home/recracer/index

Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #2

Those are really nice quality welds. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

Is the "tank" a cover and the real tank lower in the frame somewhere?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Re: Megelli 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
just for starters i've spent some time tonight uploading to photobucket 31 photos up to view for now and i'll get to filling in the story http://s440.photobucket.com/home/recracer/index
The 250 version has been a long time coming...very interested in what you have to say about this bike.

Cheers!
ChinaV

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Those are really nice quality welds. 8O
I was thinking the same thing. If that reflects the build quality of the rest of the bike it should be a nice machine.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

well past time to get this started here . first impressions . Some know and some don't The bike was damaged in shipping . prize bike with no warranty and no help with the damage , well not that big a deal 30.something dollars and on the road i go . right off the bat . more power than i had been riding (viva 200) an extra gear 6 instead of 5 . really enjoyed the extra power ,it would even bark second gear wow . after that is when it got rough . this bike is sprung way to heavy for my weight and i think bennche may have missed the boat , bringing a bike that stiff . any extended ride is hard on the body , i have to admit that the sport bike ride position turns out to be not for me at least on this bike ,the stiff front end pounds my wrist badly . i got om line and looked for street bike setups on how to adjust sag on the rear spring (only adjustment on it ) this further proved it is way to heavily sprung . all the sag should be from the riders weight ,to get any sag at all i had to adjust it till it was sagging with bike weight 25mm and 5mm more with my weight . It's still stiff ,but better and with some compliance in the rear ,the second gear bark is gone . power can be an illusion ,based on a chassis / suspension being stupid . the problem that got resolve right at the end of the riding season. from day one it had a bad front brake vibration . talked to bennche (no warranty ) so again 30 something dollars OK not to bad . replaced the rotor , took it for a ride . not as bad ,but still front brake vibration was sill there . So another few emails back and forth . i don't want to pay for another rotor , so i asked can you warranty the one i bought . no reply several more e mails no reply . finally one day i looked up and called a bennche megelli dealer in Hanover pa. . he was very helpful with this and said he'd run it through his contact at bennche . several days later got an email from Johnny tai . owner of bennche . he set me up with a contact in china . we had a few convo's and finally sent me a complete front brake setup lever to caliper and rotor . according to the rep in china it was all updated , due to problems . witch was also noted on the motorcycle .com review . well it fixed the vibration and got in a few short rides before i couldn't take the cold weather . overall i think it's a good bike . mods needed to make it a really good bike .

Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921
Is the "tank" a cover and the real tank lower in the frame somewhere?
The tank is real and the battery is in a really bad place . i need to run some charging leads for winter storage . as I'm writing this the battery is dead and the tank has to come back off . witch also reminds me ,the tank was off ,because the petcock was seeping smelling up my garage . had to fix it before the wife forced me to store it outside.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

The welds are much better than we expect from china . should be a nice platform properly sprung and some adjustments would nice to. At this point i haven't spent allot of time looking in to it . my other project came very shortly after this one arrived . 85 gold wing Le witch i hope to have ready for spring . yes a so called geezer cruiser . couldn't pass for the price .

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #9

Here is a review from Motorcycle.com

Cool little commuter bike...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #10

As will all China bikes they left plenty of room for improvement.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

also wanted to mention ,that the 2010 ninja 250s were less than the megelli to-wards the end of the year . i went to a dealer and sat on one . what a difference . suspension complies as you sit on it handle bars are a bit more upright . the megelli's foot pegs are ridged mounted and can give some foot numbness on longer rides . As in the reveiw i did scrape the kick stand once , but not enough to upset the bike .

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #12

I have kept the Ninja 250 in mind as a possible commuter. They are pretty cheap used.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

Thanks for the update, Racer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #14

The 250cc is a growing market as I see Honda has there own CBR250R and finally bringing it North America...$4499.00 or $4999.00 for the upgraded ABS..

I contacted Benneche and he told me that they have no plans to bringing the Megelli to Canada at this time...

I would probably stick with the Ninja if I was going to get one...

Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #15

The ninja 250 is a pretty good value. Espicially a slightly used one.