Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to J-May
Speedometer/odometer/wheel size setting. HOW TO

After hundreds of miles and a lot of internet searching I have figured out how to set the wheel size on my Boom/Vader 125cc

Back ground info, since factory my speedometer and odometer have been significantly off. Where I could put 2.5 miles on in only 1.5 actual miles roughly. Or where 55mph on the GPS was 73-75mph on the dash. I was not in kph either. This was 26% higher all over the range too.

Alright, so heres how to change the size.
With the key off and the display off.
Press and hold the SEL button, the one on the left.
Turn the key on till the display goes through the set up function and turns to the settings display. Then release the SEL button.
You will see 3 digits followed by a space then 2 more digits. The first 3 are to set the tire size as the circumference of the tire. The numbers seem to be arbitrary but they seem to relate closer to cm.
To change the first digit, press and hold the SEL button until the digit flashes (3-5 seconds) then short click through to the numbers (0-9) till you find the right number. After that press and hold the SEL button again (3-5 seconds) to set that number and move to the next. Repeat this for the next 2 digits to set the tire size.
The digits after the space, from some brief research represent "oil level" and the second digit is number of cylinders. 2=1 cylinder 4=2 or 4 cylinders.
I didn't change these numbers, but I long pressed through each leaving them unchanged. After long pressing through the last digit, the standard display dash should appear. Make sure to power down the display via the key to save the settings. Repeat this same process to make more adjustments.
My tire size is 120/70/12
My old setting was 035 12
And the new setting is 047 12
Larger the number the larger the tire and thus lower speed
Smaller the number the smaller the tire, thus higher or more generous rating.
The difference between 1 number is small enough to make a more accurate speed. As I set mine to match directly to my phone's GPS app as to get an accurate speed.
*NOTE* this will not correct or change your current mileage on your odometer.*
See attached picture for settings screen displayed on the digital dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180709_201801.jpg (72.4 KB, 1413 views)

Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #2

Just to be clear, this was done on your original factory speedo and not an aftermarket unit , right? My Vader is due to ship soon and i would love to be able to check this and correct it before i start putting miles on it.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Yes this was done to the factory dash speedometer/odometer unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Just to be clear, this was done on your original factory speedo and not an aftermarket unit , right? My Vader is due to ship soon and i would love to be able to check this and correct it before i start putting miles on it.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

Also, since there are different years of bikes there can be different sized tires, and speed sensor/pick-ups. So my number maybe be drastically different from your number, just keep that in mind if making any adjustments.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-May View Post
After hundreds of miles and a lot of internet searching I have figured out how to set the wheel size on my Boom/Vader 125cc

Back ground info, since factory my speedometer and odometer have been significantly off. Where I could put 2.5 miles on in only 1.5 actual miles roughly. Or where 55mph on the GPS was 73-75mph on the dash. I was not in kph either. This was 26% higher all over the range too.

Alright, so heres how to change the size.
With the key off and the display off.
Press and hold the SEL button, the one on the left.
Turn the key on till the display goes through the set up function and turns to the settings display. Then release the SEL button.
You will see 3 digits followed by a space then 2 more digits. The first 3 are to set the tire size as the circumference of the tire. The numbers seem to be arbitrary but they seem to relate closer to cm.
To change the first digit, press and hold the SEL button until the digit flashes (3-5 seconds) then short click through to the numbers (0-9) till you find the right number. After that press and hold the SEL button again (3-5 seconds) to set that number and move to the next. Repeat this for the next 2 digits to set the tire size.
The digits after the space, from some brief research represent "oil level" and the second digit is number of cylinders. 2=1 cylinder 4=2 or 4 cylinders.
I didn't change these numbers, but I long pressed through each leaving them unchanged. After long pressing through the last digit, the standard display dash should appear. Make sure to power down the display via the key to save the settings. Repeat this same process to make more adjustments.
My tire size is 120/70/12
My old setting was 035 12
And the new setting is 047 12
Larger the number the larger the tire and thus lower speed
Smaller the number the smaller the tire, thus higher or more generous rating.
The difference between 1 number is small enough to make a more accurate speed. As I set mine to match directly to my phone's GPS app as to get an accurate speed.
*NOTE* this will not correct or change your current mileage on your odometer.*
See attached picture for settings screen displayed on the digital dash.

does anyone know how to do this on the 2020 vader? None of the procedures I've looked up work, especially not this one.

Tags
dash, odometer, settings, speedometer, tire size