Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Question Hawk break in

Wanna rejet carb ASAP. But know its senseless unless it's broke in. So I have 100 miles mostly 25 mph Max . So figuring 4-5 hours total. Maybe completely warmed up to operating temps ,,,12 times . I am thinking I am good to go . What do the rest of ya think ?
Maybe not senseless as much as a waste of time , after a bit more thought.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Wanna rejet carb ASAP. But know its senseless unless it's broke in. So I have 100 miles mostly 25 mph Max . So figuring 4-5 hours total. Maybe completely warmed up to operating temps ,,,12 times . I am thinking I am good to go . What do the rest of ya think ?
If you are asking me how I broke in my counterbalanced Lifan engine, I would tell you that I put 500 miles on mine before I started pushing up the rpms . I'm a conservative kinda guy.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

they say its best to break one in with it jetted rich and the hawks come jetted extremely lean.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
they say its best to break one in with it jetted rich and the hawks come jetted extremely lean.
"They "
They always seem to get me into trouble , same as them .
Anyways here is what I know . Fuel is a detergent , cleaner , or simply will break down oil . So my thinking is rich fuel carb washes away oil easier from piston and cylinder . I have read this rich theroy many years ago when I was building engines when when I was a kid . Never really bought into it . I do agree to never wind out a new motor anything more than a brief moment . I also agree with never holding that one rpm steady ( aka cruising down a flat road for a long time) . I very well feel the carb Is super lean and it needs to be tuned ASAP. I have time off work today , I may just do it , and again if needed . Waiting for pipe anyways , but I can mod air intake prior anyways . It's a simple easy carb for removing and tuning . Thanks for all replies .
Rail ( not one of "them" )

Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

I wouldn't hold back on re-jetting. Just take it easy for the 1st 500 miles. You can feel when these engine start to loosen up, smooth out and come to life.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

yeah, I jetted mine early on as well. it doesn't seem to have hurt it any. I also ran up the RPMs occasionally, but did not hold it for long. Generally, I didn't go over 40 for any long period of time.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
If you want to rejet, go ahead and rejet. I think this idea of waiting for the motor to break in was with regard to tuning. My hawk ran so crappy out of the box it really needed rejetting almost immediately.

It's a CG engine, don't overanalyze it, don't abuse it. I think your'e 25 mph max is overly friendly.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #8

What's the stock size jet?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
Agree, I can't think of a single benefit to running an engine lean, unless you are after fuel economy. Even then, at what price to the health of the engine?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

How's that saying go?

"Leaner is meaner"... (until you fry your engine)

Just to poke the bear :

Jake the Garden Snake does my kind of 'engine break in procedure'

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
What's the stock size jet?
98 main jet
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #12

I went a bit crazy. Not only did I slap in a 115 jet right away and adjust air mix screw. I threw On a Uni filter , modded or gutted air box , whacked off spark arrestor, and now just waiting for pipe to get here . Wow did this all really wake up my little China girl . Oh installed NGK plug while I was at it . I am a bit too rich right now , but woth pipe it should be almost perfect . Besides test ride at 27 degrees and 3 " snow on ground made for a intersting ride . The snow was flying pretty good to see where I need a bit more protection around Uni filter . Will do that tomorrow . Now if only the pipe would get here

Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
I went a bit crazy. Not only did I slap in a 115 jet right away and adjust air mix screw. I threw On a Uni filter , modded or gutted air box , whacked off spark arrestor, and now just waiting for pipe to get here . Wow did this all really wake up my little China girl . Oh installed NGK plug while I was at it . I am a bit too rich right now , but woth pipe it should be almost perfect . Besides test ride at 27 degrees and 3 " snow on ground made for a intersting ride . The snow was flying pretty good to see where I need a bit more protection around Uni filter . Will do that tomorrow . Now if only the pipe would get here
Can you snap a pic of the air filter setup. Stock carb?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Can you snap a pic of the air filter setup. Stock carb?
For some unknown reason I can only load one pix per post . Hope this helps . If you want more , pm me your email and I will give ya lots more . Maybe you can post them here for me than . Or anybody else also , it's cool .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.8 KB, 715 views)

Old 03-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #15

The easiest way is to set up a "photobucket" account, which lets you kid pics up and hosts them for you. I have the app on my phone. Take a pic with my phone, open the app, add it to my Photobucket account, copy the image URL and just post it here. You. An put up as many as you want. And it saves the pics for you, so if you want, you can delete them off your phone to clear up space.