Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Mileage and endurance

We've all been told on how china bikes are junk and wont last more then a year so i figured id start this thread. Im wondering as to how many miles your bike has, whats the longest youve ridden your bike for at one time and any problems you encountered on said ride, what your bike is, the mods that have been done to your bike and what problems that you've encountered while owning the bike.
Although i dont have one anymore (but getting a hawk in spring) I'll start off with my old one 07? Cool sport co200gy enduro, had 2k miles on odometer, farthest i went on one sitting was about 60 miles, mods were headlight and a regear ( dont remember sprocket sizes) and i never had a problem with it minus fixing it when i had first gotten it ( shift star bolt loosened up so wasnt able to shift, new mirrors, new turn signals as well as relay.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

So far...

Bashan "WILL" 200, Lifan 197cc engine, has somewhere over 2,000 miles... next weekend it might go up another 600 or so... I have little to no problems with the bike anymore... all my problems were from getting shipped an abused "Floor Model"... thanks again for all that "Manny"

Farthest/Longest trip on the bike: 600 or so miles... started off riding for about 2 hours at 65 to 75 mph out to Denver, up and down 12,000+ foot mountain passes for several hours then another 2 hour trip back home going 65 to 75 mph the whole way... only problem on this ride... I forgot to turn "ON" my fuel after my short rest in Denver, got about 5 miles away from Detours house and my bike cuts out... I asked to borrow tools and was about to take the carburetor and head apart to check for problems when Detours looked down and then asked "Did you remember to turn your fuel ON" , why no... no I didn't remember ... turn it "ON" and we are back to riding

MPG is usually about 90 to 110 miles per gallon most fills... some of the all day "off roading" and "top speed/highway runs" can get as low as 60 mpg, but I found those low numbers are usually the days I leave my bike running when I'm not riding... and only having a 2.1 gallon fuel tank with no Reserve option on the Petcock makes things interesting, just "OFF" and "ON" options for me

Mods: Removed unnecessary weight (bike is down to ~250 pounds), Trail Tech Vapor instrument cluster, "Mikuni" VM26 carb, FMF Turbinecore muffler, Magura Hydraulic Clutch, Lithium Battery, UNI Pod Air Filter, Denso Coil on Plug Ignition Coil, NGK or Denso Iridium Spark Plug, Ceramic Wheel Bearings, Honda OE Exhaust Header Gasket, Rotella T6 5w-40 oil, home made brake light/license plate holder, and I removed the battery drain box (remote start/alarm system)

"Someday Mods": add a kill switch, finish up the Custom Exhaust Header, aftermarket shock/spring and swing arm, lighter/sealed aluminum rims, new 'tubeless' tires, port the head a wee bit, new headlight plastics for a brighter light, stiffer clutch springs, and name brand clutch disks is a good start to my future mods... I'm also tossing around the idea of building a custom faring to help lower CD and also get a slightly bigger (223cc to 249cc) Japanese engine with a 6 speed transmission for the China Bike but I'm a bit crazy like that

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #3

I've only got a bit over 1000 miles on my hawk so far. my longest riding day is about 125 miles. it's not showing any signs of problems, just lack of attention and riding it more. with 2 other street bikes, the Hawk doesn't get a lot of use.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I have a TT 250 that I bought in the middle of June 2016. It came to me fully assembled and ready to ride and since that time I have put a little over 13K miles on it using it as a commuter. Since my commute is done mostly at 50+ mph I went from the stock 17/50 gearing to a 45 tooth rear sprocket and the only real issue that I have had with it is that an exciter coil went bad at about the 9K mark which was covered under warranty. I haven't had anything vibrate loose or wear out in all of that time. The only real issue with it is that there is quite a bit of surface rust on the handle bars and exhaust but I'm sure that going through 2 hurricanes in less than a year sure didn't help that any. Yes the stock chain was junk and the original tires wore out in about 3K miles but it starts up everyday and gets me where I need to go so I definitely got my money's worth out of it.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

I bought my Hawk in July, I have 950 miles on it now. Longest ride I've done in a day was 240 miles, absolutely no trouble. yesterday I was on a 120 mile daytrip on gravel roads to the Canadian border and back, bike keeps on truckin. Mods in signature.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

The Lifan 200 I bought new 10 years ago has been one of the most reliable bikes I've owned in nearly 50 years of riding. Never missed a beat in 53000 miles except when the original sparkplug failed at about 2000 miles. The oil pump chain and cush gear on the balance shaft were getting noisy so I swapped out the engine with the non balance shaft model which has neither of those parts.

Don't remember what the longest ride was but I never worry about breaking down even on the most grueling rides.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

My Hawk will be a year old next month with just over 2000 miles. Longest trip was about 220 miles on the highway and averaged 68 mpg with the 15/40 sprockets at 55-60 mph. I haven't checked fuel mileage with the 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket yet but definitely getting better fuel mileage. The bike has ran perfect. I've had two flats, one front and one rear but not while on the road. Both were due to a pinched tube. One of the first things you want to change are the tubes to a heavy duty tube. Stock tubes are very thin. All my mods are in my sig below.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
The Lifan 200 I bought new 10 years ago has been one of the most reliable bikes I've owned in nearly 50 years of riding. Never missed a beat in 53000 miles except when the original sparkplug failed at about 2000 miles. The oil pump chain and cush gear on the balance shaft were getting noisy so I swapped out the engine with the non balance shaft model which has neither of those parts.

Don't remember what the longest ride was but I never worry about breaking down even on the most grueling rides.

Is the 53000 miles on one motor or total either way thats impressive

Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

53,000 miles on the first engine. So far only about 8000 on the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch8668 View Post
Is the 53000 miles on one motor or total either way thats impressive

Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

Was it a pushrod or ohc

Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

The CG 200, pushrod. I also have a 10 year old quad with many many hours on it with a CG200 engine. No issues with that one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch8668 View Post
Was it a pushrod or ohc

Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #12

Stretch...i think the responses around here will not be very typical of a majority of the flavor of the month cheap mc buyers. This probably being the main reason they think they last 1 year then are relegated to the junk pile. Most of the responses of the folks on this site probably have the ability to rewire/rebuild the Spruce Goose given enough time. Is there any wonder why these bikes just seem to keep going on this site where the Facebook crowd pronounces these little wonders as p.o.s.

I made about 370 miles in 2 days and it just kept pulling my fat ass, I was ready to get off.

Seeing your thread made me think of az and that epic ride through 2 Rocky mountain states, but also remembering that he is another one of the mechanical maestros of this site...therefore, knowing...your results will vary.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #13

1400 miles, all the bolt on mods with a mikuni clone at the moment and 17/43 sprockets with new tubes and 705 tires. Longest trip, 287 miles. Fuel econ. Best to date was 74mpg at 60mph dueing said trip. Average is usually around 65 to 68mpg. Highest top speed to date is 71mph on level ground, but realistic and repeatable top speed is around 65 to 67mph.

I wouldn't consider myself a maestro, but regular checking and maintenance combined with a meticulous nature and attention to detail have gone a long way.

As Blackbike said, the many people here take care of their machines and are willing to put in the effort to keep them up to snuff as well as being proactive with potential issues. It goes a long way.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #14

Thats the point of it. These bikes arent hondas or yamahas but if maintained and looked after will last a very long time. My old bike i sold it for what i paid for it. Granted i put about $40 in parts in it but i beat the piss out of it. Id take it in the woods out behind my house and ride the trails for hours. One day i went thru some mud that came right up to the foot pegs. The bike didnt cough or flinch. I held the throttle down and she got out. Thd ones that give these a bad rep are the ones that cant maintain them or look them over before riding and expect that they bought a honda.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
I have a TT 250 that I bought in the middle of June 2016. It came to me fully assembled and ready to ride and since that time I have put a little over 13K miles on it using it as a commuter. Since my commute is done mostly at 50+ mph I went from the stock 17/50 gearing to a 45 tooth rear sprocket and the only real issue that I have had with it is that an exciter coil went bad at about the 9K mark which was covered under warranty. I haven't had anything vibrate loose or wear out in all of that time. The only real issue with it is that there is quite a bit of surface rust on the handle bars and exhaust but I'm sure that going through 2 hurricanes in less than a year sure didn't help that any. Yes the stock chain was junk and the original tires wore out in about 3K miles but it starts up everyday and gets me where I need to go so I definitely got my money's worth out of it.
Roger, How many miles on the new cluster?