Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Maybe we should start an oil thread! ;-)
I only use Crisco butter flavored, makes the exhaust smell like popcorn. You're an idiot if you use anything else.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #32

RX3 12V Accessory Outlet

I did not like to use the key to get an active 12V power accessory outlet. Why should I have to turn on the lights and other stuff just to get 12V for some other accessory. I added another 12V accessory outlet wired directly to the battery, bypassing the key switch. This way I can use my 12V tire pump without the key. It is also good for camping when I do not want to turn on the lights and other stuff just to listen to the radio, charge the phone, pump an air mattress or whatever. Anybody else try something similar?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #33

The reason it's on a key is to protect your battery from being abused by charging phones, listening to the radio, and pumping up tires. Seriously, bike batteries are meant to start a bike and then be kept charged. The things you want to do are best done with a jump pack. I have and love this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This model is particularly good for people with USB-C devices. I can charge my laptop straight from it, and then charge IT from my laptop charger.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #34

High output alternator

I remember reading that the RX3 alternator has a 300w output specially so that it can cope with the high drain put on adventure bike systems with all the add on's like heated grips and cell phone and GPS devices.

I also remember seeing a seperate switch for the accessory plugs but this may just be on the early bikes?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #35

RX3 12V Accessory Outlet

Danny, I use the accessory switch for LED lights I added, but it only works when the key is on. In that situation, no problem, it makes sense.

Calvarez, you are right that you don't want to totally drain and recharge the motorcycle battery. That will shorten it's life a lot and might leave you stranded. I followed your link and really like your jump pack. I already have a similar one from Harbor Freight. However, I still like to have the ability to use the RX3 battery without the key once in a while for limited time. It just adds some flexibility when I am on the road. i am aware and careful not to over work the battery. I did upgrade to the biggest and baddest AGM battery that would fit the RX3 just for this purpose.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #36

Light battery use around the key is fine, no doubt. Regarding protecting the battery, the bike needs juice for the ecm and injection. If it was a carb bike with a kick start, it wouldn't be as critical....and with my overall rotten luck with batteries, I'm paranoid. Just had to buy two more this year!

One of the issues I've had with the RX3 is your basic, run of the mill, size 12 battery is just a tad too tall to fit in the frame. Extremely irritating.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #37

When the battery in my RX3 needs replacement, I will buy a LiFePO4 instead of a lead-acid battery. I've used those in a couple bikes. They have huge capacity in a tiny/light size, and they can take being discharged just fine. Don't leave them empty, but regularly using them as a deep cycle will not affect them. I've used Battery Tender and Deka brand, both were just fine.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #38

I saw some vendor selling Li batteries at some motorcycle trade show. I picked up one to look at it, and it did not weigh anything. I assumed it was an empty plastic shell just for display at the trade show. The vendor informed me that it actually was the real battery! Almost shocking how light they are and how powerful they are rated. I assume they will work with the RX3 alternator, but I am not sure about a battery charger or battery tender. Are there some special requirements for charging? Might be a good way to save some weight whenever my RX4 becomes available.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #39

Yeah, when I got my first one from Amazon I thought it was an empty box. The LiFePO4 cells themselves require very specialized charging. That shell includes a charging circuit and a protection circuit. Some of them even have a feature where they allow you to use some of the power, then shut down with enough power to start the bike. You have to press a button to reset it, then the bike starts. Clever.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #40

I just pulled a dead lithium battery from my RX3. Lasted about 3 years total. Put it on my lithium charger that I bought for it and after a day of sitting, wouldn't crank. Seems that I just don't ride these dang things enough.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #41

I had one early battery fail in my K1200LT. I called Battery Tender and it really sounded like they were aware of an issue. I had a replacement in just a few days, with no need to send the other one back. This is fairly new tech and there will be random issues.

Also be careful using a "Lithium" charger. If they are for Lipo or Li-Ion, they will NOT be right for LiFePO4. The latter is vastly different. I use both types in my RC stuff, and I have to use a special charger for the LiFePO4 batteries. They sure can take a beating though. I have an RC boat that can do around 50 MPH and draws over 70 amps (!) at 48v to do it. That's 4.5 HP from batteries in a little motor that fits in my hand.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Teacher View Post
Speaking of resale value, my 20,000 mile good condition 2015 RX3 will be sold soon so I can get the RX4. What is a reasonable price range I can expect to get for an old RX3?
$1500 if well maintained and in good condition, give or take a little for accessories.

Wiring an accessory electric outlet direct to the battery is a good idea if adequately protected by fuse or circuit breaker. My LED headlights are wired that way, through a relay, and the stock switch. LED driving lights are wired direct with a relay through the extra headlight switch.

My 12xxx mile RX3 is not "high mileage". I have several small bikes with well over 100,000 miles still one original rings. Most miles is 148xxx on a TW200. Might be why I have 4 of them. It's all about good oil and keeping things cool and warm as needed. Also, I don't thrash. Much.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
$1500 if well maintained and in good condition, give or take a little for accessories.
I know of two 2015 RX3s that sold recently for $2700 and $2500 respectively. One had the aftermarket seat, Progressive shock and 19" front wheel. Based on that I'd expect to get between $2200 and $2500 for one with 20K miles. It will take a while to find the right buyer.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #44

Actually, mine will hit 21,000 miles later this week. I "tested the waters" and took it to a BIG multi-brand motorcycle dealer not far from where CSC is located. I tried to trade it in on a new left over 2018 Honda CB500X. I told them I would pay their sticker price for the Honda in cash, if they took the RX3 to cover all of their other fees and taxes. They said no because they claimed it is a brand they do not know how to service. Weak excuse. The 500X looks like an ADV bike, but the 17 inch front wheel and other issues killed it for me.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #45

I’ve had pretty much zero interest with mine posted at $1950 and it only has 1000 miles. Another member on this forum who lives in the area bought a really nice RX3 locally with 4000 miles and all the farkles for $1600. I’m sure it’s regional and seasonally dependent, but I think some of the numbers being thrown around are overly optimistic.

On that note, I’m still more than willing to sell mine for $1950, if anyone is looking.