Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

RX3 - Likes and Dislikes

Now that I've had the RX3 for a while, I thought I'd ask around for input from others....many far more long term than I.

Of course, there's the standard grumbles that we all share. The "under performing" front brake, the unfriendly stock seat (for most) but overall, we're basically happy with the bike, and especially CSC and they're great service.

Regarding dislikes, there's one thing that stands out to me that I'm finding almost maddening sometimes and that's the utter lack of mid-range or any lower end power. The 13 tooth helped, along with the muffler work I've been doing, but man....this thing has a 2 stroke power band with the docile power of a 4 stroke. It's especially noticeable after I ride the TT with the (less powerful) CG motor and it's awesome mid-range power curve. I'm really hoping that someday CSC will come out with a re-flash to the ECM to help make more useable power where we need it. The bike is a scrambler-type of bike and should have more usable torque in the midrange. I can see this motor working well in the RC3/RZ3....but for ADV/Scrambler, we need some grunt where it counts.

Likes...and there are plenty. It's extremely utilitarian. I've gone into Wally World for one small item and walked out with new boots, beer, and lots more...and it all fit. That's a nice bonus to have sitting in the parking lot, especially when one lives in the sticks.
The bike handles amazingly well in the paved twisties, even in stock trim and tires. I think this is something very undersold by the reviewers, especially for the price. Like I stated in an earlier post, I can roll it all the way over to dragging toes and it never gets unstable or does anything quirky.
Now that I have the tall seat and risers, I can ride it for hours on end. The seating position is very comfortable.
It's the highest quality China Bike I've ever had the experience of working on.

Anyone else?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

Good review 2LZ .... I'm hoping to do your muffler mod to also increase the midrange .... Regarding the re-flashing .... my guess is one of our intrepid forum members will come up with a way b4 CSC does ... We've got some pretty sharp folks here and at ADV. .... not because they can't but simply because I dont know that CSC would openly provide the means/support to alter the Zongshen warranty/factory settings. . . We know Joe reads these posts and while he doesnt weigh in supporting or giving advice on mods such as the thermobob, headlight, rear lights, OSC and your muffler set up I'm betting between he and Gerry there is some shaking of the heads AND some nods of "well done"!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

A few guys already geting the ports mapped out. won't be long till the code is cracked. I heard it not easy by the tuner companies reports.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

After a year on my RX3 with my share of issues, I still love my RX3 and even sold my Vstrom 650 because the RX3 was the better adventure bike in every way except high speed interstate touring.

Overall, the pluses far outweigh the minuses, and the minuses have been for the most part easily and cheaply fixed.

• Versatile - touring, canyons, commuting, groceries, dirt trails
  • Awesome handling
  • Light weight for an adventure bike
  • Excellent ergonomics
  • Good powerband
  • Smooth transmission
  • Great gas mileage (65-70 mpg)
  • Excellent warranty and support from CSC
  • Excellent customer service from CSC
  • Excellent parts availability from CSC
  • Excellent aftermarket support from CSC and international vendors
  • Great community of RX3 owners
  • Fun ... always puts a smile on my face

Dislikes
  • Tall stock gearing
  • Weak front brake
  • Weak 35W stock headlight
  • Weak tail and brake light (brightness)
  • Uncomfortable seat
  • Exhaust valves are difficult to reach and adjust
  • Having to empty the OCS (oil contaminant separator) all the time
  • Loud engine (I like things quiet)

Easy fixes

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol