Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
my roketa is on its 3rd cable in just under a year and a half... thankfully rhey jave all broken on pre ride checkovers and not along my 30 mi commute.... that's where my interest is for a hydro clutch....
How much was it for each cable? I'm sure you are right around the cost of a ('cheap') Hydraulic setup already... and you would only have to change out a few cents worth of DOT4 or Mineral Oil every 2 or so years with a Hydraulic Clutch

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
my roketa is on its 3rd cable in just under a year and a half... thankfully rhey jave all broken on pre ride checkovers and not along my 30 mi commute.... that's where my interest is for a hydro clutch....
Check your pivot hole in the handle where the cable end sits. Sounds like a burr not allowing the cable end to pivot. That was an early Victory issue. "The Dreaded Burr".

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
How much was it for each cable? I'm sure you are right around the cost of a ('cheap') Hydraulic setup already... and you would only have to change out a few cents worth of DOT4 or Mineral Oil every 2 or so years with a Hydraulic Clutch
around $8 a cable shipped from a us warehouse... i will probably piece my own clutch together as i want to match my custom brake lever....LOL and the el cheapo slaves are a bear to bleed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Check your pivot hole in the handle where the cable end sits. Sounds like a burr not allowing the cable end to pivot. That was an early Victory issue. "The Dreaded Burr".
they break about an inch from the cable end in the lever... first thing i checked is that the ball can pivot.it may be hitting a ridge, but at this point, i have been wanting a hydro clutch anywho, because i have extra heavy clutch springs.... and i had a hydro on my old pocket bike.... man that was a beast....would do 67 mp[h gps confirmed.... race cam, vm26 carb, straight thru exhaust... pic for posterity...LOL

and a vid... sounded mean...

Last edited by bogieboy; 07-19-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: edited for speed inaccuracy

Old 07-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #19

Holy cow! That's an animal! :-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #20

Any updates on installing a hydraulic clutch? I'd like to try a cheap one if there's a decent one that works well and will last.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #21

interesting that you ask GlennR... i just installed one LAST NIGHT...LOL i had a random left hand master cylinder from an old john deere atv in my posession, and installed it with one of these... sooooooo nice and smooth.... took almost a half hr just to bleed though.... i can post some installed pics tonight...

Old 04-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #22

That style of slave cylinder is a pain in the butt to bleed. I have done one so far, and the best method I have found for them is to elevate the slave above the master somehow, and then bleed it uphill. Really awkward to do without a bleed screw too. Another method that worked fairly well was to set the slave on a rack or tray over something to collect dripping brake fluid, crack the banjo just enough to start a slow leak, and gravity bleed it. This method takes forever though.

In either case, pre-filling the slave with a bit of fluid and cycling it a little to get the air out will help immensely.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #23

Cables are so much simpler. Otom makes a nice brace that stops the flexing of the retainer issue and makes the pull a tiny bit lighter:

I have a Karoo trials bike that I never ride because of the broken hydraulic clutch. It's just a bigger pain than it's worth.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #24

Chonda3, how about a link to Otom stuff. That brace looks interesting.

Peter Y.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Chonda3, how about a link to Otom stuff. That brace looks interesting.

Peter Y.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=20#detail

Old 04-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #26

Must....resist....clicking.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Must....resist....clicking.....
DON'T DO IT. My head just exploded when I did.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #28

Hummm, 6 of them for abut $12. Someone, please put in an order and I'll get one from you.

Peter Y.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That style of slave cylinder is a pain in the butt to bleed. I have done one so far, and the best method I have found for them is to elevate the slave above the master somehow, and then bleed it uphill. Really awkward to do without a bleed screw too. Another method that worked fairly well was to set the slave on a rack or tray over something to collect dripping brake fluid, crack the banjo just enough to start a slow leak, and gravity bleed it. This method takes forever though.

In either case, pre-filling the slave with a bit of fluid and cycling it a little to get the air out will help immensely.
Megadan, i found it bled out fairly easily...LOL slave lower than the master, and pump the slave in and out slowly. each stroke pulls oil down the hose to the slave, and each return stroke purges the air back up the hose to the master cylinder. shake the slave and hose about every 10 stokes to shake loose any stubborn air, and it will go quite smooth....

Old 04-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Hummm, 6 of them for abut $12. Someone, please put in an order and I'll get one from you.

Peter Y.

Well... it's Taobao. 6 pictures doesn't mean you get six of them.

There are probably some less expensive vendors, I just posted the first one I found. I'll see if I can find the actual link I bought from. Seems like it was $8 or $9.