Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #16

I had a good ride on Spud's and I can't say how restricitive the exhaust was but I can say the bike sure was nice and quiet. The power delievery was, shall we say, tame.

I'd be inclined to enjoy it as is without 'power mods'.

As an example I offer my KLX-250S.

Stock it was on the low end of OK for HP.

A stage 1 kit woke it up, a lot, and gave it HP nearly what my DRZ-400S makes (without the torque of course) but it was loud. So loud that it's noise was the primary reason I sold it and went up to the Suzuki.

With that said I had a Q4 pipe (the quietest available) but I'm noise adverse.

Goes back to when I was married....

Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #17

'If this was a carbureted version, that would be fun to tinker with. I did the same mods to Q that Boostcrazy did on his XF200 and he got 20hp out of it on the dyno, from the stock 15hp. '

a 33% boost is HUGE.

My Q's were also mild but smooth and quiet and reliable. I did not want to mess with them. Of all the CB's I've had I miss Q the most. That really was a good riding and a good looking bike.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
'If this was a carbureted version, that would be fun to tinker with. I did the same mods to Q that Boostcrazy did on his XF200 and he got 20hp out of it on the dyno, from the stock 15hp. '

a 33% boost is HUGE.

My Q's were also mild but smooth and quiet and reliable. I did not want to mess with them. Of all the CB's I've had I miss Q the most. That really was a good riding and a good looking bike.
That's for sure. The Q's were in a class all their own, for a CB. I really enjoy the heck out of mine.

Regarding modding the RX3, it's a habit of mine since I was a kid. My oldest brother (who was my wrenching mentor) said, "The factory hides all the power inside. It's your job to let it out." Like you said Doc, "tame". I'm hoping something can be done for that someday.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #19

Maybe some manufacturer will come out with a 351cc kit, like is available for the KLX.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Plus no intake or exhaust or computer changes would be needed.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Maybe some manufacturer will come out with a 351cc kit, like is available for the KLX.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Plus no intake or exhaust or computer changes would be needed.
In the meantime, keeping the bike as light as possible does a lot to improve performance. I've been running mine without bars and side cases, and I'm so happy with the performance that I'm going to try 14T/45T gearing from my current 13T/44T.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
In the meantime, keeping the bike as light as possible does a lot to improve performance. I've been running mine without bars and side cases, and I'm so happy with the performance that I'm going to try 14T/45T gearing from my current 13T/44T.
I'll be curious to see how you like it. The RX3 is not a light 250.
The 13 countershaft with the stock rear does wake it up and get rid of that pesky "over-slip" you have to do to get it rolling in 1st....but it does chew a bit off the top speed.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #22

I once did the full monte with a Ducati...high compression pistons, more displacement, balanced crankshaft, ported heads, Aarow exhaust, dyno tuned ECU and lighter flywheel. Man, that bike rocked! It also set me back about $7K for the mods. My lesson learned was that the cost/benefit ratio quickly expands...more cost for less benefit with each modification. I think we will all be smart to hold out for the 450cc Zong rather than trying to punch out our 250cc lump with the hope for an added 5 hp. There is supposed to be a version of the NC250 used in another bike that is getting more power already. I'm guessing it is using a different cam, exhaust, and ECU to get more hp at higher rpm.