Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You lack imagination. Or experience.

Hydraulic system failure, due to bad seal or burst line - you are SOL until new ones arrive. Unless you travel with extra fluid, lines, and seals. Much harder to field repair, if at all.

Broken cable - I can name several ways to field repair a broken cable to limp you home. Some that can be done with just a bit of bailing wire, or small cable clamps, both of which can be easily hidden away in a small baggie under the seat, wrapped around a part of the frame etc.

That said, properly maintained cables should last a very very long time.

Or that a good high quality Venhill cable kit is less than 20 bucks, and I always keep one on hand. If I break a cable, I can whip together a new one in 15 to 20 minutes with a small pen torch, some wire cutters, and solder.

Keep in mind that I love Hydro clutch setups. I have converted many of my own bikes to Hydraulic, but I will never discount the advantages of a cable setup.
on a dirt only setup, i would run a cable hands down... on a (soon to be) daily driven bike in city traffic? ill take the hydro LOL as for failed hydro? rev it up and drop it in gear... i hardly ever clutch between gears, only to stop/start.... so....LOL its always doable....

Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
on a dirt only setup, i would run a cable hands down... on a (soon to be) daily driven bike in city traffic? ill take the hydro LOL as for failed hydro? rev it up and drop it in gear... i hardly ever clutch between gears, only to stop/start.... so....LOL its always doable....
I always clutch between gears, but I have also seen the long term wear that happens on the dogs with clutchless shifting done incorrectly. There is wear that can occour even when doneproperly. Preloading the shifter puts extra pressure on the shifter forks, and results in wear and stress failures.

Just my experience as a bike mechanic though.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I always clutch between gears, but I have also seen the long term wear that happens on the dogs with clutchless shifting done incorrectly. There is wear that can occour even when doneproperly. Preloading the shifter puts extra pressure on the shifter forks, and results in wear and stress failures.

Just my experience as a bike mechanic though.
i always let off completely between shifts, and if i break it, i break it....LOL i wil tear it down and install a new trans... im no stranger to wrenches... certified john deere and stihl tech...

Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paeksukis View Post
Here's my setup.

Bought a cheap master cylinder with a bore size of 12.7mm and a cheap clutch slave.
Installed in on my zong, after bleeding the system, I noticed that the clear brake fluid turns cloudy.
Had no time to bleed it again because I have to care for my newborn baby.

I feel that my hydro clutch system has more resistance than the cable clutch. So I switched it back to cable clutch on the next day.

I think I will not continue with this project until I got enough budget to buy a better master cylinder and slave cylinder.

Sorry for the poor image quality.

Here is a lower cost and I am almost certain lighter cheaper simpler.
YES it is on my RX3

$29.95 plus shipping from me in Chengdu China (With RED part) or $15 if the simple version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (91.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Clucth.jpg (90.3 KB, 163 views)