Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

RX3 Realities

There's been a lot of folks buying, then selling their RX3's to an upgraded bike for many reasons lately and of course, all the forum board opinions and chatter involved. I figured I'd write a short blurb for the "possible buyer" that may be nosing around here thinking of buying an RX3, so they know what to expect before pulling the trigger.

Some get them as starter bikes, then outgrow them as their talents increase and riding needs change. This is one of the perfect uses for an RX3.

Some get them and just can't handle taking flack from friends about their "Chinese junk." That's your choice.

Some just get the need for a motorcycle out of their system and realized it's not for them. Good enough.

All this said, let's take a look at the realities of the RX3.

There's been tons of chatter here about the RX3 and I really believe that folks think this bike as much more than it is.

It's a very enjoyable bike to ride.....for a 250.
It is very versatile and will be able to wear many hats....for a 250.
It's fun as hell on paved twisties....for a 250.
It can handle light to medium trail riding very well....for a 250.
It can easily handle short bursts down the freeway when needed....for a 250.

It is a larger framed, small displacement, well-built, reliable, mildly powered bike. If you're an aggressive, younger rider, or want to race the Grandpa Class, it's not the bike for you.
If you're 250+ pounds, why would you look at a 250 anyway?
If you're a beginner or like many of us that are getting older, still have a love for two wheels and no longer need to do double jumps, it will be fine.
If you just want to get in the wind and don't need huge power, crotch rocket handling, KTM suspension, and max performance, it will be fine.
If you want a brand new bike, that has excellent service and support but you don't want to go deep into the financial hole, this bike will be fine.

It is a comfortable, reliable, inexpensive adventure bike that comes with many standard features for the price and it has the best backing of any Chinese motorcycle ever sold in the U.S.....but it's only a 250.
It won't do anything more than a 250 was designed to do.
Did I mention that it's only a 250?

I hope this helps answer some questions that a possible buyer may have.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

Are you sure it's a 250???

I think you're right on with most of this. I used mine as a stepping stone to a bigger bike.

Oh, and BTW, I'm only 220lbs

Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
Are you sure it's a 250???

I think you're right on with most of this. I used mine as a stepping stone to a bigger bike.

Oh, and BTW, I'm only 220lbs
However, a 220 lb solo rider (especially fully suited) has more aerodynamic drag than two 150 lb riders in tandem.
Just sayin'. Not meaning that as a burn.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

Not to keep beating my drum here but if anyone wants to get into adventure travel but not comfortable heading out on their own, CSC has several week long rides a year that are free to their CSC customers. You only pay for gas ,food ,lodging that are fun ,relaxing and cover beautiful scenery in Baja , and the States. Joe Berk does a great job on orchestrating these. That alone returns you back the cost of your csc bike I think. Just saying, it's worth it to keep an RX3 around even if just for the trips. rj

Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

I bought the RX3 primarily for price, the seating position, and to have some luggage capacity. I'm not really into off roading (the only way I'd go off road is if someone runs me off the road lol). All my riding consists of commuting and running errands around town and for that the RX3 is great.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Not everybody wants a liter bike. On that big ADV forum, there is a thread titled "Minimalist Touring Thread - 250cc and under" (or something to that affect). That thread is one of the busiest on a site that caters more to the Triumph Tigers and BMW GS bikes.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

I like my RX3 because it's a terrific commuter, it fits my long-ish body, and as a touring bike it forces me to route my trips along back roads, which is where all the good stuff is.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #8

2LZ, yours is one of the best posts I've seen in awhile. Quite frankly, you could substitute RX3 for Hawk or TT-250 and paste it into the Dual Sport forum; similar logic applies there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Yeah but, my new AT eats 250's for lunch!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-buyers-guide-9.jpg (85.6 KB, 406 views)

Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

I researched the RX3 for six months before I bought it I knew exactly what I was getting will add that I am a newbi rider as far as street riding i think the zong does everything that is advertised think some people expected to much it is a 250 oh and i weigh 280 my zong likes to live at 55 to 62 5th gear on pavement think I had it in 6th once it mostly lives on dirt roads and that is were it is the most fun

Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
Yeah but, my new AT eats 250's for lunch!

I love the Africa Twin. Like the Super Ten though, you're talking about an entirely different category of bike, and budget. I'd ride that thing all over the place, but I'd also be scared to drop it anywhere.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

Adventure is where you find it - and as a minimalist ADV rider and dirt rider since a child, I've always subscribed to the theory - LIGHT MAKES MIGHT - that's what fits for me. I'm small and as a woman, don't want the heft of a big ADV bike, though I've owned several - Triumph Tiger 800 (sold), BMW F650gs (currently own). What I keep coming back to is that the small bikes, like my XT250 are just plain more fun - my biggest grins come from the smallest displacement. To each their own I suppose. I really enjoyed my time on the RX3 but I was hoping it was a bit more dirt worthy. I strongly agree that is a fantastic commuter - and if I didn't already have the F650gs, I'd definitely keep it in the stable.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius