Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #16

Wow. I wonder why the prior owner hated that little quad so? It looks like the Oliver of the ATV world. :oops:

That said it looks to be inexpensively repairable and will be a fine steed. 8)

W&G will have to do some welding, and with people chipping in parts and information you'll have fun.

I look forward to the picture thread!

One thing though....

I'd back burner the Honda and do the quad now because you can enjoy the quad in the winter and you'd have to wait till spring to ride the Honda.

JMHO.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
One thing though....

I'd back burner the Honda and do the quad now because you can enjoy the quad in the winter and you'd have to wait till spring to ride the Honda.
Excellent logic Doc! Jim, listen to the good Doctor. It's his medical opinion.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #18

The bill is in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
One thing though....

Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #19

Ditto on the back shock, while it's not great, it's not as necessary as the front pogo sticks. They make a night and day difference.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The bill is in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
One thing though....

Nah. We're Chinariders. We look after one another for free!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #21

Thanks Doc. The guy I bought it from is at least the second owner. I just don't know why the guy I bought it from made such a mess of the wires, though it's possible they were already a mess when he got it... I think the guy before him threw on those lights. I found a screwdriver bit where the fuse belongs...

I changed the rear Honda tire today, so there's not much left to do on it... I also cleaned up the beast a little. I pulled off the twist grip throttle for W&G as well. Looks like I don't have a spare horn. Got the fender picked up too.

I'll have to take W&G up on the wiring though, it doesn't look like the wires are color matched on both sides of the connectors, and so on... Quite a mess. Can take care of a lot of the other stuff here I think.

Derryk, do you have tubes for the front tires too or just the rears?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #22

Weld, I've got the fender and twist throttle for you, I checked and don't have a spare horn. I took a picture of the switches off the parts honda so you can have a look at them, I'll upload them shortly.

Here are the controls off the Honda,

And I was wondering if the controls on the Beast are stock?

I also got the rear tire/tube swapped on the Honda today and the rear brakes hooked up.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #23

I have a spare horn for my Yamaha you're welcome to if you want it.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Congrats on club membership, Jim.
When do I get the membership card and jacket?

(for the non internet geeky type folk, the above is called a user bar, they're popular in forum signatures)

Doc I don't know for sure if you're talking to Weld&Grind, or to me, but I was checking if I had one for his project, if you were offering it to me I appreciate it, but Weld is the one ...

Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #25

Jim, after looking at your Beast photos, I realized that those are the perfect solution for me, and I can probably get them cheap. What is used as a kill switch on the Beast was originally designed as a signal light switch, and the electric start button is for a horn. Yes, those are the stock Beast controls, although the right side looks a little messed up.

I have tubes in all four tires, but I can't remember if T has them only in the back.

When would you like to examine the Beast wiring? The screwdriver bit in the fuse holder is hilarious!

Is the CB perch on the throttle side in good shape?

"We don't care how they do it in Japan." Priceless.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #26

This would fix your front brake lever and your throttle in one step, although it's a little pricey. You're still welcome to the mini atv throttle I have.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/150cc-200cc-ATV-C...item3a5c2e54ef

Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #27

There is a crack in the hole on the left, I think the one on the right is the pivot for the lever... The one with the crack is for the mirror I think.

They're not the best option, but if you think they'll do the trick, or even just want to try I can pull them off..

I was wondering why the beast had a signal switch, so that cuts the engine... So weird. I wonder why they didn't just go with the cheaper kill switch / starter switch I've seen on most other china bikes... (this is the one I mean http://www.giobikes.com/Bars-and-Con...t-Stop-Switch/ )

The right side is definitely messed up.

I'll probably put tubes in all 4 too, it sounds like a good idea.

I don't know when is best to examine the wiring, I guess it would be easiest side by side like you said, so I guess if I hauled it over there one day? Whenever works for you, I don't want to impose or anything... The only days I can say no to right now is tomorrow I'm going to a Heat game, and Saturday I'm going to be back up at Hemlock I think, my brother wanted to go then.

Oh and here is the bit...

I thought it was pretty funny too.

Edit: I was just thinking, the throttle is included in that right hand control, the switches, lever perch, mirror holder, etc is all on the one.. So it probably isn't the best choice. I have the twist grip throttle off the beast, it is self contained.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #28

You're right Jim. I was perusing eBay, and I found several switch assemblies for the left side that would give me the signals, horn button and high / low beam. I'll just use a simple twist grip for the throttle (perhaps yours), and a dirt bike kill switch next to it.

Would you like to take my quad for a day and compare the wiring? I could also give you a handful of parts to try, including the mini atv throttle. I don't have a lot of room here yet, unless we worked in the driveway. That will change soon, since I made good progress on the kitchen today.

Let me know when you're ready for tubes, and I'll get my buddy to round them up (they're cheap). We need to video him installing the tubes while we're at it. He's always happy to help, and I'm always happy to take him riding.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #29

Yeah I have the fender and the throttle in my car for you whenever you'd like it.

We'll have to figure something out to compare them, I don't know if I could get that mess of wires straightened out in a day (unless I was really motivated), and I don't want to hold your beast hostage on you :P

I didn't realize your buddy installed the tubes, I figured I'd just get a set like normal, is there any tricks to it? The tubes can probably wait for now though, going to start with the wiring, then the controls.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #30

We can easily proceed with hostage negotiations. My Beast is just sitting there right now, because the chain is off, and I cannibalized it to help repair T's Beast. I now have all of the parts I need to put it back together, but I have several other projects that need my time right now.

Would you like to start with photos? Feel free to show me an area that's messed up, and I'll show you what it should look like.

Thanks for setting the fender and throttle aside. I'll take the thumb throttle off today for you.